The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Pirelli Corsa's - Left Front uneven tire wear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OLOABoss said:
Nothing wrong with 18" wheels. Your gearing my change depending on diameter and more speedometer error. A shorter tire will let the car sit lower but will not affect the suspension geometry.

Peter

Peter is right. Shorter tires still keep the factory geometry in place as they lower the car without changing anything in the suspension. If it was me, I would switch to 18'' wheel for weight, price, and tire options.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
PeteInCT said:
steveespo said:
BTW I clocked Pete during his 3rd session and he was putting down 1:04's like clockwork with a best I had at 1:04.45, Ron who was driveng the Nissan GTR Lime Rock 'Ring taxi also was lapping in the low 1:04's with a 1:03.76 as a best of the 8 or 9 laps I clocked. This with a different passenger every 2 laps and him driving up the back of a Ferrari 458 a couple times.

Steve

If you had me at 1:04's consistently the I'd say check your stopwatch ;D Great meeting you Steve, we should hook up again soon.

I agree I need to lower pressure, I was running 40 - 41 hot - I will try 35 psi at VIR this coming Monday. I wasn't having a major problem with my rears hooking up at all actually (however I would say I was only pushing the car to about 80% of my own abilities, I'm still babying it a little - nannies still on), but I did have issues with understeer in the Lefthander. I would have gotten more grip if I was at 35 psi hot I believe. As for the Corsa's, even if they were a GREAT tire they are too damn expensive. I am replacing the LF tire with a new Corsa so I can burn up the tires as a set. I'm taking Ron's advice (Gary's too) and going with Hoosier R6's after that. I assume they make them in the 19" sizes....

I have some videos in the can from yesterday that I'll post soon....

Pete
You did run a bunch of 1:04:70's in a row during the 3rd session. You were passing cars coming off the downhill every lap. Good job! Used my blackberry stopwatch it's pretty handy.
Steve

OLOABoss said:
Nothing wrong with 18" wheels. Your gearing my change depending on diameter and more speedometer error. A shorter tire will let the car sit lower but will not affect the suspension geometry.

Peter
Yep. It also gets my splitter almost 3/4 of an inch closer to the ground between the 1/2" from the wheel size and the 35 profile versus 40 on the track tires. ;)

bolecailey said:
OLOABoss said:

Peter

Peter is right. Shorter tires still keep the factory geometry in place as they lower the car without changing anything in the suspension. If it was me, I would switch to 18'' wheel for weight, price, and tire options.
I was swapping my 18" Enkeis with Conti slicks onto the Boss tonight and they were FEATHER light compared to the LS/302S wheels I took off with the Pirellis on them. 8) The factory wheels are tanks.

Just a thought since I don't see it mentioned but you guys probably already do this, are you running nitrogen in the tires instead of air to keep them more consistant and not increase as much?

cloud9 said:
Steve I just have to add - YOUR CAR LOOKS AMAZING
Yes it does but Steve where's the red hood??? Those are Forgestars right?

One of the Gtr guys said he got me at a.59.That should be about right.Last year I was timed at a 58.2.
Fun event with SCDA, I do all their events.Good people ,run very well,and they are great to instructors!But it sure was fun to see Steve and Pete!! The Cooltech roll bar came out awesome in Steves car!
Steve you MUST come for a ride !!!!!

OLOABoss said:

Peter

Here's a representation of the stock sized tires, speed in gears etc..........and a set of Nitto's that I run.

PirelliPZeroMax.jpg

NittoNT01.jpg

TireFitment.jpg

So most of what I was going to say has already been said here.

Has anyone had tires come apart like that shaved? I know with some tires (888s are the ones I have the most personal experience on) they will have similar issues at full tread if you are running hard. I don't know how much meat the tires have past the tread, so I wouldn't go out and try it without looking into it first, but that may be something that would work.

The tires are directional, but are they truly directional or is it just for wet use? 888s, RA1s, and many other directional tires can be run backwards fine as long as it is not wet. Shaved, they can't be used in the wet anyways. This can greatly extend tire life if you run mostly one track or tracks that go the same direction especially on a staggered setup. I don't know for these particular tires, but it is something that could be looked into as well.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
5 DOT 0 said:
cloud9 said:
Steve I just have to add - YOUR CAR LOOKS AMAZING
Yes it does but Steve where's the red hood??? Those are Forgestars right?

Thanks guys. The wheels are actually from American Muscle, Forgestar knockoffs $144 a corner 19x8.5, 19x9.5 gunmetal finish. Almost 4lbs lighter each vs the 302S wheels. I am going to keep an eye on them for any signs of cracks etc but so far no problems. I was just able to get all of my winter mods complete except for the Tiger hood which is still in the paint shop. Picked the car up there Friday afternoon, installed the Corsa sport mufflers and the Cool Tech roll bar on Saturday, then after church on Sunday did the swap of my "speedway nose" for the "short track" nose with the world challenge splitter. Also put the rear seat delete kit in and remounted the little truck lid carpet on the underside of the CF decklid.

The hood should be on this Saturday and I will be doing the #21s on the roof and doors. The Corsa mufflers sound awesome at speed with the American Racing headers, a lot like a Cup car. GoPro built in mic doesn't do it justice really glad I went with them.

Ron at :59 is entirely legit too the man can flat out drive, like I was saying the session I was clocking him he was giving passenger rides to 3 people and just cutting through traffic like mad, when he came in he was fanning the brakes with a towel to cool them down. Nissan has huse 6 piston Brembos on the GTR but no duct kit to cool the brakes ?! The wheels and tires were red hot, that car is just unreal and this day there were 5 of the out there.

Steve

steveespo said:
The hood should be on this Saturday and I will be doing the #21s on the roof and doors. The Corsa mufflers sound awesome at speed with the American Racing headers, a lot like a Cup car. GoPro built in mic doesn't do it justice really glad I went with them.

Steve
Take your time, the NASCAR season is still young! ;D I can't wait to see your car finished.

Nice! I hope so too! I would love one of those rides that Pete and Steve were talking about! If you want some extra hands with your roll bar install, let me know!

TMO Supporting Vendors