The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Pirelli PZero Slicks - Pressures

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What HOT pressures do you find work best? What COLD pressure did you start at to hit the desired HOT pressure? I am taking a set of takeoff PZeros and a new set of R7s to BIR next weekend.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I've only run them once so far, but I think I was happy with about 37-38 hot. IIRC, started at 24 psi cold at 57º. I'll check my book later today.

Wingrider

'11 GT500, 99% Track Car. Lots of mods & I coach
I run 305/645/18's square at Sonoma and Laguna. I'll see if I have hot temps here. My notes are in the car and it's not here getting work done.

Cold I know my tire guy (paid pro) starts the fronts at 28 an rears at 27. Once they get good and hot approximately half a pound comes out of the fronts and approximately a pound from the rears. thats just rough guide on hots. It of course varies and temps/adjustments immediately after every session.

This set up is a GT500 with the FR3 suspension. They were reset now with the full Cortex suspension. With just 2 half days of testing he doesn't have a handle on the new setup yet but he did start with slightly lower initial temps like 26 in the rear.

Hope this helps in some way. Love the tires.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm leaning toward running HOT around 40 to start at least. I've found our heavy cars to generally favor higher pressures. My best performance on Hoosiers is around 41-43 HOT front and 38-40 HOT rear. Starting in the 31-33 range COLD to achieve those. It's going to be pretty cool at BIR next weekend so will probably start in the 32-33 COLD range and see where that lands me. I prefer to err on the high side and work my way down versus the low side and have one debead on me.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
I'll be at NCM this weekend and I'm going to start at 32 cold and air down from there as the tires warm up and the weather heats up throughout the day. Gary, let me know what you find works best for you.

Flyboygsxr said:
I'll be at NCM this weekend and I'm going to start at 32 cold and air down from there as the tires warm up and the weather heats up throughout the day. Gary, let me know what you find works best for you.
Will do Adam. Another friend of mine said he likes 38 HOT and airs down if he gets over 40. He starts at LF 31.5 RF 32.5 Rears 29.5.

Wingrider

Found my Sonoma master sheet from last May with tire temps and corrections I use as my reference where the car was flying and felt awesome. This was 2p after the car has been out on track and all up to temps. Started the day cold with 27 fronts 26 rears @ 7:30a

Temperatures-
Outer Mid Inner

LF
167 170 177
Pressure- 36.2 Correction to make - none

RF
181 172 159
Pressure- 34.4 Correction to make- none

LR
168 174 169
Pressure- 35.3 Correction to make -1

RR
171 173 163
Pressure- 35.2 Correction to make -1

Wingrider said:
Found my Sonoma master sheet from last May with tire temps and corrections I use as my reference where the car was flying and felt awesome. This was 2p after the car has been out on track and all up to temps. Started the day cold with 27 fronts 26 rears @ 7:30a

LF
167 170 177
Pressure- 36.2 Correction to make - none

RF
181 172 159
Pressure- 34.4 Correction to make- none

LR
168 174 169
Pressure- 35.3 Correction to make -1

RR
171 173 163
Pressure- 35.2 Correction to make -1
Did you get those temps in the hot pits or paddock? I'm usually only able to get them in the paddock and by then the inside fronts are heating up more relative to the middle/outside due to camber.

Wingrider

cloud9 said:
Did you get those temps in the hot pits or paddock? I'm usually only able to get them in the paddock and by then the inside fronts are heating up more relative to the middle/outside due to camber.

Paddock rolling directly into the garage. Distance wise at Sonoma it wouldn't make much difference but about 50 feet and about 20-30 seconds. My guy does tire support for the Spec Mustang & Pirelli Challenge guys and really knows the Pirelli's so I defer to his judgement.

I'll add that I was running about -3.2 camber at the time.

Wingrider said:
Paddock rolling directly into the garage. Distance wise at Sonoma it wouldn't make much difference but about 50 feet and about 20-30 seconds.

I'll add that I was running about -3.2 camber at the time.
Thanks

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
"GUIDELINE FOR CORRECT USE OF PIRELLI PZERO SLICKS
To better optimize performance never set cold pressures lower than 24 psi for the fronts and 26 psi in the rears. Hot pressure should never be lower than 30psi fronts and 32psi rears.
Maximum hot temperatures should be around 230ºF
Optimum Working Temperature spread is about 50ºF
P Zero is the spec tire for Pirelli World Challenge series and the Porsche GT3 trophy west series.
Strongly recommend the use of metal valves, and use of caps even for short runs

CAMBER
Maximum Camber permitted for Pirelli World Challenge GT and GTS Tires Rear Engine car is 3.5º Front; 3.0º Rear
Maximum camber permitted for Pirelli World Challenge GT and GTS Front Engine car and Touring car is 3.0 Front ; 3.5 Rear"

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Yes, basically take those numbers from Pirelli and reverse them, since those are Porsche guidelines.

I don't know what I was coming in at Hot on the P-Zeros but you will want to start 24-26 psi cold depending on tire location. Tires always felt great that way and typically never fell off towards the end of a session.

R7s you are going to want to be in the 33-35 range COLD. Maybe even a pound or so higher due to the greater weight of your car vs. mine.

ArizonaBOSS said:
Yes, basically take those numbers from Pirelli and reverse them, since those are Porsche guidelines.

I don't know what I was coming in at Hot on the P-Zeros but you will want to start 24-26 psi cold depending on tire location. Tires always felt great that way and typically never fell off towards the end of a session.

R7s you are going to want to be in the 33-35 range COLD. Maybe even a pound or so higher due to the greater weight of your car vs. mine.
Good deal thanks. So is that higher than you ran the R6s? I typically start around 31-32 COLD on R6s to end up in the low 40s.

Tulsa, OK
I always start 27 cold all around for my Pirellis. Set them first thing in the morning before the sun is up and then I don't touch them the rest of the day.

roadhouse said:
I always start 27 cold all around for my Pirellis. Set them first thing in the morning before the sun is up and then I don't touch them the rest of the day.
Any idea what kind of HOT pressures you end up with Logan?

TMO Supporting Vendors