The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Pirelli Slicks in 19s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I thought they were out there, so checked and Greg Miller ( GT Track Days ) has some 305/690/19s in stock right now. They are $150 per tire , plus shipping and handling and they are available for immediate shipping.

His phone number is 414-640-7218 and his email is [email protected]

I don't have my GT 350 , so just here to help and with my luck he will be out of these when I actually need them ,ha.

Bill thanks for researching that. Good to know there are 19's available.

@Moto @Black Boss

I talked to Greg about those in the spring and I believe we decided the 27" diameter would be too big to run on our cars as they would contact the fender lip. I think we would need about a 650 or 660 max, to make it work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Thanks Moto ------ was not aware of that as my car is still on order, bummer. If someone does try , please post and get back to the rest of us , as many of us love the Pirelli slicks! Greg let me know this morning there are a lot of new classes and cars coming in and they already anticipate some tire size changes. Let's hope something comes out that works???

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
I ran that size this weekend and 2 weeks ago. They are Ferrari Challenge tires and the set I have is 3 seasons old and still as fast as a new set of R7s. I am planning on picking up another set or 2 from Greg. The do not rub, on either my 2011 or 2016. Mounted on the Ford 302S wheels 19x10 with 15mm spacer up front.
Steve

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
...... and there you have it folks , another great answer from the friendly folks at Track Mustangs Online. Now where else can you get quick , concise , track oriented answers faster than here ? Answer would be...." Uh , nowhere."

Pirelli reached out and told me that the tire will be on the rear of the Ferraris and also used on Camaros, so let's snatch these up and confound those Porsche and Corvette guys who can not figure out how they keep getting passed by GT 350s and Boss 302s!!

I ran that size this weekend and 2 weeks ago. They are Ferrari Challenge tires and the set I have is 3 seasons old and still as fast as a new set of R7s. I am planning on picking up another set or 2 from Greg. The do not rub, on either my 2011 or 2016. Mounted on the Ford 302S wheels 19x10 with 15mm spacer up front.
Steve

What tire presures are you running with on your 16 ?

I have tried running 30 hot with the Pirelli DH slicks, but the front tires seem to rollover and wear on the shoulder past the tread. Running 33 - 34 seems to alleviate the rollover issue.

@Blacksheep, I suspect I need more front camber to run the tire at a lower pressure. Right now, I can only get -3.0 before my strut hits the shock tower. What are your thoughts on the tires rolling over?

Wingrider

'11 GT500, 99% Track Car. Lots of mods & I coach
With heat/temp monitoring/measurements made by Guy from On-Edge (not me), my DH's on 18s seem to wind up in the 32's to high 33 degrees by the 3rd session after some solid heat are in them. That's starting at 26 front, 25 rear. I don't touch the tires when he's doing the monitoring and air coming out 2nd an 3rd session. No dog in this fight, just sharing what the tech does. Love the tires and only slicks I've run.

I have tried running 30 hot with the Pirelli DH slicks, but the front tires seem to rollover and wear on the shoulder past the tread. Running 33 - 34 seems to alleviate the rollover issue.

@Blacksheep, I suspect I need more front camber to run the tire at a lower pressure. Right now, I can only get -3.0 before my strut hits the shock tower. What are your thoughts on the tires rolling over?

Here's the issue you are going to have, raising pressures is a band aid, you definitely need to add camber, which I understand on a street/track car is hard to justify, but if you continue to add pressure to prevent "rollover" you will have to input more steering angle, which causes more rollover and heats the tire..which will require more pressure..more steering angle...etc, you basically can end up going down a rabbit hole of death as far as the tire is concerned. Let me find an article I posted awhile back.

This is what you want to avoid...

https://trackmustangsonline.com/threads/another-heads-up-on-running-banked-tracks.12017/

d5vcfvjl.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Great info for all, but one thing that we should make sure folks add when discussing hot/cold temps , is to designate whether they are discussing on a GT, Boss 302 , or GT350. Solid rear axle or Independent, range of camber in the front between a Boss and a GT 350, tire size ( 18 or 19 ) can all affect the temp range and they will likely be different between these cars simply due to suspension dynamics, imho.

Nuff said, now commence contributing , ha.......

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Not sure if folks have , but that size works well with Pirellis if you do a squared set - up -- which is my preference for it's ability to rotate.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
Not sure if folks have , but that size works well with Pirellis if you do a squared set - up -- which is my preference for the ability to rotate.

Thanks for the reply, I've just been cursing around eBay ect looking for a deal I couldn't refuse. I'm assuming 305 660 will work square as well on 11" wheel?

As a Phoenix customer, I was invited to a track day a couple of weeks ago at NJMP with Joe Aquilante (in his Z06) and one of his young guns in his T-3 Mustang as he prepped for the run-offs. It was my first real test of my car since Phoenix did the clutch, rollbar, set the ride height and general settings. They also modified the shock tower so I can get up to -5.0 camber but set it at -3.5. I was running Pirelli 305-680-18 DH take-offs set at 26 psi cold per Joe's recommendation. I went out and got lapped by everyone on track......all race cars and a GT350 but still! I could not get the front end to turn. There is a section of right-left-right transition that just killed me.....couldn't point the car and had to lift until I could get the front to track. I tried to check tire temps after the first session but my battery died. Pressures were around 31. But I noticed the first front temps I got before it died showed and inner reading that was 70-80 degrees higher than the outer edge and it didn't look like I even used the outer 3-4 inches of the tire. Too much camber? Too much pressure? I'm running there again this weekend and will drop camber down to -3.0 (although Joe recommended at least -3.5 if not more) to see if wear and temps are more even. The front Koni's (Cortex single adj) were set about 1/4 from full soft. 32mm front Strano bar on middle hole. Should I increase compression? I have not played with the JRi's in the rear so I do not know what they were set at but I have an 18mm rear bar. Rear traction was good as expected but it's killing my front grip. Any suggestions?

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Don’t bother with Ebay, just go to usedracingtires.com This site and others are where we all get our used Pirellis.

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors