The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Pirelli tire tech update

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thanks for that reminder on the cold temps. I do keep mine in heated storage all winter, however was not aware of the their 41 degree limit. Typically I just avoided below 32. I actually have few track day mornings that get close if not under the 40 degrees. Gotta love MN ;)

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Good info and something we try to remind our customers with all extreme performance DOT tires and autocross/track rubber too. Amazingly many comment on Forums and complain of horrible tire grip when chilly , blaming it completely on the tire, when the manufacturer states it should not be driven or carefully driven when temps are lower than 40 degrees. When one really thinks about it, 40 degrees is not that cold in many areas of the Country and it can affect the rubber even at that point. This is a good heads up, and we should all carry this advice over to other tire makes too, imho.

Good info and something we try to remind our customers with all extreme performance DOT tires and autocross/track rubber too. Amazingly many comment on Forums and complain of horrible tire grip when chilly , blaming it completely on the tire, when the manufacturer states it should not be driven or carefully driven when temps are lower than 40 degrees. When one really thinks about it, 40 degrees is not that cold in many areas of the Country and it can affect the rubber even at that point. This is a good heads up, and we should all carry this advice over to other tire makes too, imho.

Funny..I always thought they blamed it on the tire guy when they stuff it in turn 1 at 40 degrees.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Had too many customer accidents over the years blamed on the tires , when they went out running their various beasts in cool weather ---- even bigger issue is cold pavement that folks don't factor in when the first nice day pops into the 50s , but the night before it was 20 degrees!

Stuff like that, keeps me up at night...we had a 30 degree sweep at the runoffs and I had 9 cars to deal with plus backup tires.
The guy I room with was laughing because I had paper laying all over the bed trying to figure out tire potential pressure calcs based on the forecast.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
He should not have been laughing , should have been super impressed he had such a dedicated guy handling all those machines. Have a feeling your guys did quite well at the Runoffs?!

Last edited:

Boone

Professional Thread Killer
I spoke with Nitto tire engineers at the Mustang 50th anniversary in Charlotte, and this is exactly what we discussed. If I recall correctly, performance summer compounds (and slicks) have high levels of silica and some additional mumbo jumbo about long chain molecules. I just heard "40 degrees was the cutoff." Don't quote me on the chemistry, but you get the point.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Pretty sure that mumbo jumbo explains the technical issues for a majority of us , ha. Nice post, Boone and going to be spending some time in your lovely State this Summer --heh, want to help your economy since folks are so friendly there!

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Unfortunately it will be later in the year and the GT 350 will miss out on one of my favorite tracks in the US -- post pics when you are there, please!

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Funny that they had to issue a bulletin to just do what it says on the tire already, but ok.

Thank you for passing the info to us--who may be getting some of these tires second-hand.

Good information for just that reason! I'm getting these second hand and didn't know about the storage on the wheel at 50% pressure. Theyre in my basement nice and toasty, but I did not deflate them. Any thoughts on pressures for storage? 15psi roughly?

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Keep them away from electric motors if in the basement and you can let some air out, no problem. Years ago a tire company that sponsored me racing told me to keep tires away from electric motors , though I can't remember why now -- senior moment.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Keep them away from electric motors if in the basement and you can let some air out, no problem. Years ago a tire company that sponsored me racing told me to keep tires away from electric motors , though I can't remember why now -- senior moment.
Ozone generated by the motors can degrade the rubber.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Thanks AZBossMan, that was my problem , I was in a Zone ( Senior Moment) and for the life of me could not think of that super simple word ( Ozone ). Exactly what I was told years ago and tried to convey , thanks for the help --- I will write and editorial in the AARP magazine comments section thanking you for your kind assistance, ha,ha.

racer47

Still winning after 30+ years
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
Wrap them in plastic bags, keeps the ozone out and the rubber solvents in.

Additionally, do not store tires anywhere near a welder.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel