The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Pirelli World Challenge... WTF is with the KIAs?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Georgia
Bob said:
How are there two KIAs leading these races?

I have asked the same thing for two years now... there is no way a stock Kia is going to outperform a Boss (or BMW for that matter). Hopefully one of the Boss team members who visit this forum can explain the "rules" to us.

I live within 7 miles of Kia assembly plant in West Point, GA... no loyalty here (maybe when they actually start paying taxes!)... pisses me off to no end.

Bob said:
How are there two KIAs leading these races?

They are going faster than everyone else. ;)

Anyway, a couple of thoughts:

1. This is a near-factory effort. Money isn't a problem.
2. Real Pro drivers.
3. Sequential transmission!
4. Big-A turbo hanging off of that engine boosting about 14 psi. The turbo is rated for 340-560 hp, so power isn't a problem. They get 8500 rpm, too.
5. Since this isn't a car that is designed to be modified in any way, I'm guessing that every single chassis and suspension item is bespoke (see thought #1).

What surprises me most is that these fwd cars aren't out of tire at the end of every race. ??? The proof is on the podium, I guess.

The rules giveth and the rules will taketh. Next manufacturer in the Giveth column will probably be Porsche. And yes, this is all in the interest of competition and political correctness. You need to read between the lines on that one.

Jimmy Pribble said:
They are going faster than everyone else. ;)

Anyway, a couple of thoughts:

1. This is a near-factory effort. Money isn't a problem.
2. Real Pro drivers.
3. Sequential transmission!
4. Big-A turbo hanging off of that engine boosting about 14 psi. The turbo is rated for 340-560 hp, so power isn't a problem. They get 8500 rpm, too.
5. Since this isn't a car that is designed to be modified in any way, I'm guessing that every single chassis and suspension item is bespoke (see thought #1).

What surprises me most is that these fwd cars aren't out of tire at the end of every race. ??? The proof is on the podium, I guess.
I understand the $$$ with it, but those cars are BS.I say BS because they get allowance to add modifications that the other cars can't just because they aren't actually sold in such a configuration. Tough shiznit!

I dont pay attention to those cars when watching the races since they arent the same prep levels as most of the GTS cars. I dont consider them on a "level playing field" at all.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
The BOSS 302S is supposedly the "base/reference car" for GTS class in the series. But the 302s have to have added restrictor plates and weight etc so the other cars can be competitive :-/

Put those shitboxes in TC-A :)

I don't care how fast it is, FWD and RWD should not be allowed to mix. Put them in another class like they were before...derrr? It's starting to sound like B-spec and SM are the way to go if you want an even playing field...

I really don't understand the reasoning to the restrictor plates. If the Boss is the yard stick then just allow the other cars more mods to keep up. A restrictor plate is not something a competent person would come up with for a solution. Especially when the engine can be neutered safely with a simple tune.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Car looks cool and hope to make a World Challenge Race this year -- have to look up Martin and this beast Boss ( great looking graphics with his new sponsor).

Georgia
Great comeback for the Ford contingent. I read that Alec Udell was in position for a podium finish before being taken out. I will have to watch the telecast in a few weeks.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel