The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Piston Oil Squirters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

At the high RPM the squirters created alot of windage (lots of oil whipping around slowing the crank and rods costing power). To eliminate the squirters the Boss uses forged pistons (over the GT's hypereutectic). By eliminating the squirters they gained back some oil pressure and volume to the bearings - and using 5W-50.

Dallas_Dude,

Anybody who cares enough to ask a question like that, needs to pick-up a back issue of the August 2011 5.0 Mustang and Super Fords magazine, which has a 14-page article about the development of the Roadrunner (Boss) engine. The article goes into jaw-dropping, geeky detail about it's development. Seriously, one of the best tech articles I have ever read in a car rag.

Austin_Dude

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Jimmy Pribble said:
Dallas_Dude,

Anybody who cares enough to ask a question like that, needs to pick-up a back issue of the August 2011 5.0 Mustang and Super Fords magazine, which has a 14-page article about the development of the Roadrunner (Boss) engine. The article goes into jaw-dropping, geeky detail about it's development. Seriously, one of the best tech articles I have ever read in a car rag.

Austin_Dude
+1

ArizonaGT said:
Jimmy Pribble said:
Dallas_Dude,

Austin_Dude
+1

+2
This magazine is hanging in my garage ;D

BLAZN BOSS

Almost............they didnt need squirters when using forged pistons because hyperutectic(sp) pistons don't handle the heat disapation as well as forged........then.....they could delete the squirters........forged pistons were used due to higher RPM and cylinder pressures.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Dallas_Dude said:
I hope nobody figured out I am an Engineer :eek:. Thanks for the tip on the magazine article.

So am I, but you don't see me going around telling everybody about it! ::) ::)

Oh wait...

TMO Supporting Vendors