The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Please check this thread if you modded your sidepipes at all...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seven

Dacia Sandero
I'll be doing Steeda Ultralite springs on my car and I'd like to get the pancake'd side pipes modded by a muffler shop with full round pipes. I only ever really encounter one very small speed bump at work, and never really go anywhere else that would affect a lowered car much but was curious if anyone has done this and their personal experiences.

Please keep it limited to first hand experience, everyone hates the "my buddy's brother's friends" stuff.

DGRacing said:
I have the kooks sidepipes which stick out under the pinch weld.
They are not round. I cant go over speed bumps at all.

How do you like the sound from the Kooks sidepipes? What kind of differences did you notice? I ordered the ARH Boss headers and xpipe and was looking to go with kooks side pipes to get rid of w/e "fake sound" metal discs they have inside.

Seven said:
How low is the car? Which suspension components?

Its low. I have the eibach sportlines. FR tokico Dspecs. Eibach adj. Sways. Adj. Ph bar. Adj. Lca's. Etc etc. The side pipes are 3" off the road. Lower than the trans cooler.

Seven

Dacia Sandero
DGRacing said:
Its low. I have the eibach sportlines. FR tokico Dspecs. Eibach adj. Sways. Adj. Ph bar. Adj. Lca's. Etc etc. The side pipes are 3" off the road. Lower than the trans cooler.
Sportlines are closer to a 2in drop right? a good bit lower than Ultralites IIRC - Correct me if I'm wrong.

sadil said:
How do you like the sound from the Kooks sidepipes? What kind of differences did you notice? I ordered the ARH Boss headers and xpipe and was looking to go with kooks side pipes to get rid of w/e "fake sound" metal discs they have inside.

Why don't you just remove the metal disc to get rid of the metal discs? It takes less than 10 minutes...

I've haven't lowered mine but have been running the kooks side pipes for a while now. I got the first set as a kind of trial fit. They never fit right but I managed to make them work. They rattle so much I took them off last night when I got home. I think they need a shower flex pipe like the factory pipes have. Anyway I drove to work today with no side pipes at all and the sound is about the same as with the kooks but without the rattle. I'm thinking maybe to go with the qtp cutout and a short downtube. It may work for you with clearance issues.

Seven

Dacia Sandero
Justin said:
yeah removing the disc is free just cost you some time.
They're already out
Steve said:
I've haven't lowered mine but have been running the kooks side pipes for a while now. I got the first set as a kind of trial fit. They never fit right but I managed to make them work. They rattle so much I took them off last night when I got home. I think they need a shower flex pipe like the factory pipes have. Anyway I drove to work today with no side pipes at all and the sound is about the same as with the kooks but without the rattle. I'm thinking maybe to go with the qtp cutout and a short downtube. It may work for you with clearance issues.

This plus the info above gives me an idea. I might just run without the side piping itself... and then toss the plates/discs in for street driving if its too loud.
However, to be clear, the original plan was to replace the piping AFTER the flex section, so I doubt I'd have a rattling issue.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Seven said:
doubtful thru the cats

Since you've already gone aftermarket tune, minus whale get the JEG's cat delete pipes and a tune revision...

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
ArizonaGT said:
Since you've already gone aftermarket tune, minus whale get the JEG's cat delete pipes and a tune revision...
I just installed them on my car today. much louder now out the side pipes.....almost to loud now for the neighborhood might put the 1/2 discs in and see how it sounds then.

TMO Supporting Vendors