The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Please explain green white checker

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Most race finishes are determined in the final laps. It is anti climatic for a race to end in a caution state, but the urgency to win causes many things to happen at that stage of the game.Daytona and Taledega are crash fests that fans flock to see.....The only race I saw in person was at Pocono.......I'll never forget the smell of that racing fuel as the cars went by............

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Huntsville, AL
I'll never forget the smell of that racing fuel as the cars went by............
Come to the Mid-America Shelby meet in Tulsa, OK...you can actually get out of one of our cars smelling like that sweet perfume yourself. I'm certain the misses will be fond of it... 🤣 .

TX
It seems like sportscar racing is the only place that has not been turned into a circus, purely for the fans ( along with F1 internationally). 24 hours at Daytona, in the rain at 28 degrees is one of the most grueling things I have ever done.
I think this is what draws me to sportscar racing over Indycar, Nascar, etc. I personally love seeing the innovation from manufacturers, the focus on manufacturers not only drivers, relatable cars, rules that allow for some rubbing, but not take outs, cars built to run flat out for 24 hours, etc.

The racing is still grounded in roots of the old days, encourages innovation and variety, and still offers great W2W action.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Bit of history.....Today in 1959 the inaugural Daytona 500 was held.....Lee Petty was the winner.........How did they survive without a green/ white finish??
He and one other car on the lead lap. Half of the field in the garage. “Survive” half did not.

You are right TMS....Johnny Beauchamp was initially declared the winner but after further review...........Petty won..........anybody old enough to tell us what happened that day??....Bill was too busy selling cars.........oops................
I actually have the Hot Rod magazine that featured that article. If you remind me, some day, I'll dig it out... along with the one with Mickey Thompsons land speed record car. The Hot Rod 25th anniversary magazine got away from me though.
So what would you like to know junior?

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
Races were rife with lap scoring errors in the old days. I believe for some races, it was published that the "official" winners would not be announced until Monday at noon - so the officials could audit all the timing & scoring. In the early days of the Indy 500, the top drivers at the end of the race would sometimes take a few extra laps, just in case someone counted wrong.

Races were rife with lap scoring errors in the old days. I believe for some races, it was published that the "official" winners would not be announced until Monday at noon - so the officials could audit all the timing & scoring. In the early days of the Indy 500, the top drivers at the end of the race would sometimes take a few extra laps, just in case someone counted wrong.
They did that everywhere, called
" insurance laps"

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel