The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

PLEASE HELP! Need advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcmmotorsports

Resident Mental Patient
I just got my Boss last friday. I got it home, realized there was a little parking lot ding over the RR wheel. Also noticed some scratches. I managed to get most of the scratches out but one was a little too deep and I never should've attempted it. Needless to say, I burned through the clear. WITH A PORTER CABLE no less. :'(
I got a quote of $175-$200 to fix the parking lot ding through a local PDR owner. A separate body shop quoted me $450 to fix the paint, fix the dent and clear the panel. It is bad enough that I screwed up my car but it is burning me up knowing this is not a simple fix. Does anyone have any input? This car is gonna see some track time, alright, a LOT of track time and I am sure this is not the first imperfection the paint and body is gonna see. What would YOU do if it was you?

paintburn.jpg

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Personally, that would bug the hell out of me. I'd get it fixed and take the cost as a lesson not to try that again.

As far as track time is concerned, you won't get much tire stuff or rock marking in that particular area, so it should stay fresh.

Bay Area
+1 get it fixed. I had a repair done on my car and the body shope EFFED it up and it bugged the hell out of me. I had to have another body shop fix my car. I feel you pain. Do it right and live and learn.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
It appears that you will need to paint to eliminate the scratch anyhow. No real damage done.

Have a good shop do the work and enjoy your new ride.

Love Kona blue. I had 2, Boss for me and V-6 for daughter. Until driver blew a stop sign and totaled daughters car. Now, just the Boss.

Good luck with repairs

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Urf...you gotta get that fixed. I don't really believe in blending paint so much...I'd have the whole quarter panel done to over the passenger window all the way to the front.

fbbob96

2013 SBY #0750
My 2013 sby Boss is in the shop as I write this. Took it in Monday to get it fixed. looked like someone opened there door VERY hard and hit my passenger door right on the crease in the center of the door.This happened this past February,but I couldn't stand it anymore looking at it. Estimate was $927! Got it covered with a $200 deductible. Should get it back tomorrow or Friday. Just hope they do a good job....... And my wife wonders why I park so far out and away in public parking lots!

A) Get it fixed, at whatever cost. Not sure about having the entire panel repainted though.
B) Look into PAINT PROTECTION, like XPEL, SUNTEK, 3M. Something that will save the other parts of the car that will get chips and all. Especially if you'll be going to the track.

fbbob96 said:
My 2013 sby Boss is in the shop as I write this. Took it in Monday to get it fixed. looked like someone opened there door VERY hard and hit my passenger door right on the crease in the center of the door.This happened this past February,but I couldn't stand it anymore looking at it. Estimate was $927! Got it covered with a $200 deductible. Should get it back tomorrow or Friday. Just hope they do a good job....... And my wife wonders why I park so far out and away in public parking lots!

This is why I hate to drive my Boss to work. I have the same door ding in my drivers side of the DD an 06' Mustang. happened in the lot at work.

A tip for next time, if you can catch you fingernail in the scratch, a polisher is probably not going to remove it.

mcmmotorsports

Resident Mental Patient
F18SMM said:
A tip for next time, if you can catch you fingernail in the scratch, a polisher is probably not going to remove it.
Thanks. For the record, I wasn't trying to remove it per say, just make it less noticeable. Besides, I was fortunate with the one on the hood.

Got 4 estimates to repair it along with the parking lot ding on the wheel well. All of the estimates are with me installing a new stripe (except one) as it has to be removed to do the job right:

First shop wants $450 to do it.
Second, was $650-$700 (Owner loves my car and they do restorations of old muscle cars)
Third shop quoted $1,038-$1,150 whether or not he has to pull the 1/4 glass. Stripe was included in this one
Last shop came recommended and was told they are very peticular about their work: $850.
I am leaning towards the 2nd one. Not only because he was the only one that showed love for the Boss, but he said drop it off Monday, have it back Tuesday. Everyone else was 3-4 days.
Thoughts?

mcmmotorsports said:
First shop wants $450 to do it.
Second, was $650-$700 (Owner loves my car and they do restorations of old muscle cars)
Third shop quoted $1,038-$1,150 whether or not he has to pull the 1/4 glass. Stripe was included in this one
Last shop came recommended and was told they are very peticular about their work: $850.
I am leaning towards the 2nd one. Not only because he was the only one that showed love for the Boss, but he said drop it off Monday, have it back Tuesday. Everyone else was 3-4 days.
Thoughts?

Word of mouth is the best advertising, if someone recommends a shop, that means they or someone they know had work done there and was very happy with it.

The PDR guy wanting 175 to 200 to take out one dent is charging you highway robbery. 75 to 100 MAX. How much is the stripe for that side? Couple hundred? To paint quarter properly they will remove taillight. Drop bumper cover down. Rope or mask back glass. And then clear your roof rail so have to remove drip molding on roof. Depending on how much room they have they may have to blend your rear door to get the paint to match with that dark blue metallic. Go with your gut and what shop gives u best feeling. Sounds like 2nd one. Appreciates car for what it is, your not just another job. Just my 2cents

mcmmotorsports

Resident Mental Patient
Good news bad news,
I got the car back today from the body shop. The paint work came out FLAWLESS! Originally the shop was going to have me put the stripe on. While they were wetsanding and buffing it, they offered to put the stripe on for me.

This is what happened:

stripe1.jpg

stripe2.jpg

The stripe in front of the wheel is low, between an 1/8 or 1/16 of an inch.
Now, the $111 stripe kit came with the lower door in addition to the front 1/4 panel stripe.

The body shop offered to put on another one, I order it, they pay for it. I am leaning towards taking the door stripe that I have, trace and cut out the contour of the rear wheel opening and just put it on and be done with it. I don't think my OCD can handle much more stress. So here are my options:

1: Leave it alone. It doesn't look that bad. (Honestly, the upper stripe is off just a smige too)
2: Order another one for $111, hope to get reimbursed and hope they don't mess up another one.
3: Use the door piece, which I could easily cut three pieces from and just do it myself and be done with it.

Worse case scenario, if I screw up #3 (which I doubt, but could happen) I could also go with #2.

Thoughts?

TMO Supporting Vendors