The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Please tell me about your brake pads for track use

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seven

Dacia Sandero
I've always had good luck with carbotech stuff, but because I've used them almost exclusively I don't really know what else is out there. So I'd love to hear what other options are out there.

Please share your experiences with how the brakes acted, what you were doing (HPDE, open track, competition, auto-x etc), what type of tires you were/are running, and the cost.

I like to learn some more and I'm sure others would love some info sharing :)

Thanks!

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Seven

I went with Pagid pads from Pete at Track Day Solutions. Link is to the right. Yet to hit track with them.

RS-29/RS-56 pads

Send Pete a Email/PM and describe your experience level and style of driving. He can recommend pads from Carbotech and Pagid. I received my pads in two days.

Tracy

TMSBOSS said:
Seven

I went with Pagid pads from Pete at Track Day Solutions. Link is to the right. Yet to hit track with them.

RS-29/RS-56 pads

Send Pete a Email/PM and describe your experience level and style of driving. He can recommend pads from Carbotech and Pagid. I received my pads in two days.

Tracy
I'm using the same setup and they work well on the track and are quiet on the street.

NFSBOSS said:
I'm using the same setup and they work well on the track and are quiet on the street.

Same here (with Hankook Ventus V12 evo tires in stock size). In my estimation, this is a better combination than stock for a street/track car. ;)

You might check the track report thread or specific brand threads for more detailed opinions.

drano38

Wayne
Seven,
Open track days, PCA events, and BMW driving schools.
Nitto NT-05 tires.
Carbotech pads.
XP8 rear - work great.
Front-- jury is still out. XP10, RP2, XP12.
Price, on their website, plus ~$20 shipping. Ask for a discount--I got 10%.
Carbotech recommends XP16 and 20 for R-comps only. But I'm sure someone has run them on Max Performance street tires just fine.
All the fronts were pre-bedded by Carbotech (purchased from company).
I season the rotors, and have been using dedicated rotors for track use only.
The bad -- I get pad transfer onto the rotors. Causes medium to severe vibration/shuddering during hard braking as buildup continues. Carbotech first said I may be overtemping the pads--they're reason for moving up in compound. But I doubt I overtemp'd the XP12. The DBA4000 temp paint only activated on the second color, so I didn't hit the top pad temp.
Others have said Carbotechs are temperamental for bedding. I'd agree. Maybe I'm not seasoning the rotors to a high enough temp for a good transfer layer.
If I can't figure them out soon, I'll switch to Pagid from Pete at Track Day Solutions.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
drano38 said:
Seven,
Open track days, PCA events, and BMW driving schools.
Nitto NT-05 tires.
Carbotech pads.
XP8 rear - work great.
Front-- jury is still out. XP10, RP2, XP12.
Price, on their website, plus ~$20 shipping. Ask for a discount--I got 10%.
Carbotech recommends XP16 and 20 for R-comps only. But I'm sure someone has run them on Max Performance street tires just fine.
All the fronts were pre-bedded by Carbotech (purchased from company).
I season the rotors, and have been using dedicated rotors for track use only.
The bad -- I get pad transfer onto the rotors. Causes medium to severe vibration/shuddering during hard braking as buildup continues. Carbotech first said I may be overtemping the pads--they're reason for moving up in compound. But I doubt I overtemp'd the XP12. The DBA4000 temp paint only activated on the second color, so I didn't hit the top pad temp.
Others have said Carbotechs are temperamental for bedding. I'd agree. Maybe I'm not seasoning the rotors to a high enough temp for a good transfer layer.
If I can't figure them out soon, I'll switch to Pagid from Pete at Track Day Solutions.

We can set you up with a Pagid RS-14/RS-56 combo. Same setup I use. Best just for track. I've had no issues with rotor glazing with these, just bed in pads as required. Never had to worry about seasoning rotors....

Seven

Dacia Sandero
Sounds like a lot of Pagid users, surprising to hear.
I'll have to check them out :)
Se what would work with the race take-off slicks I'll be using.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Seven said:
Sounds like a lot of Pagid users, surprising to hear.
I'll have to check them out :)
Se what would work with the race take-off slicks I'll be using.

RS-14 up front, RS-56 in the rear.

drano38

Wayne
Keavdog said:
I don't understand the pre bedding concept. I thought the bedding process involves putting a coating on the rortors.

Bedding the pads (using a similar process as seasoning rotors) heats them up and allows gasses still in the pad to be cooked off. Carbotech will do it in an oven so we don't need to do it on the car.
Thats a pretty crude explanation. Others can correct/elaborate.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Drano ---- using the Carbotechs like you, and have run 12s front and 8s in the back, but last time out ran 20s in the front ( left the rears alone). Have to bed those babies in, but they stop like who laid the chunk!!

Tulsa, OK
I've done two track days with them and they seem to be fine on the rotors. Maybe someone else can chime in who has used them longer than me...

I am competing in the One Lap of America next month with a friend of mine in his '13 Boss 302 Laguna Seca. We plan to run Hawk DCT-60's front and HT-10's rear, with Michelin Pilot Super Sports, otherwise, the car will be bone stock. Looking forward to testing it in a couple of weeks on-track, and then doing the One Lap May 4-11. Go to www.onelapofamerica.com for schedule and results.

You can check us out on facebook, Like "Horrible BOSS - es".

BimmerBrian said:
I am competing in the One Lap of America next month with a friend of mine in his '13 Boss 302 Laguna Seca. We plan to run Hawk DCT-60's front and HT-10's rear, with Michelin Pilot Super Sports, otherwise, the car will be bone stock. Looking forward to testing it in a couple of weeks on-track, and then doing the One Lap May 4-11. Go to www.onelapofamerica.com for schedule and results.

Welcome to BMO and good luck. You might want to install brake cooling ducts and DOT 4 brake fluid to help with your track events. Be sure and post photos when you can.

Tulsa, OK
BimmerBrian said:

Very cool! Welcome and good luck :)

TMO Supporting Vendors