The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Please Translate This for Me...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HP range Part Number Width (in) Height (in) ∆P (psi) btu/hr range
170-200 50-910-7612 15.94 2.99 6.1/na 19,000-27,000
220-310 50-915-7612 15.94 4.53 4.5/5.2 27,000-39,000
300-400 50-920-7612 15.94 6.06 3.0/4.2 35,000-50,000
400-475 50-925-7612 15.94 7.60 2.6/3.5 42,000-60,000
450-550 50-934-7612 15.94 10.39 2.3/3.3 53,100-72,100
600+ 50-948-7612 15.94 14.70 1.8/3.1 69,000-96,000

These are the specs for the 9 series Setrab oil coolers. I can read it all except for deltaP/psi . Is the first number the difference in pressure between inlet and outlet of the cooler?? If so what is the second number in PSI??

I think both the numbers are psi and you are given inlet and outlet pressures in psi. The delta p might be an incorrect heading?

yknot

Hobbies: Hot Rods & Shooting
The PSi Figure is the pressure drop you get from running the oil through the cooler, One is just a part number for the corresponding oil cooler. The HP figure is another way to determine the size cooler you need. The BTU figure, is what the cooler is capable of cooling, and the other figures are the dimensions of the cooler, HxLxW.

Below is the footnote from the Setrab Pro-Line Oil Cooler application and performance chart at Setrabusa.com

http://www.setrabusa.com/pdf/Application_and_performance_suggestions_112610.pdf

EOC hp and btu/hr range based on specific performance parameters that if varied may result in different performance results.

Low EOC hp and btu/hr range based on typical wet sump high performance application and typical variable parameters.
Wet Sump Parameters include: oil flow rate, 5 gpm; 20/50 engine oil or similar; 130ºF ITD; 60mph airflow.

High EOC hp and btu/hr range based on typical dry sump high performance application and typical variable parameters.
Dry Sump Parameters include: oil flow rate, 8 gpm; 20/50 engine oil or similar; 140ºF ITD; 80mph airflow

EOC = Engine Oil Cooler
ITD = Inlet Temperature Difference (between oil and air)

2012Boss302 said:
Just so we are all on the same page, the 915 has a pressure drop of 0.7 psi through the cooler.

nope, it's a range. The heat removal (duty) is a function of the heat transfer coefficient (U). This (U) is a function of flow rate (amongst other things). As flow rates increase, delta P increases and film coefficient improves (better heat transfer). So they have given you a range of delta P and duty.

There are several things that effect the overall heat transfer coefficient (viscosity, density, temp, heat capacity, thermal conductivity, and flow rate inside and outside of exchanger). This is not a linear relation, so it's quite difficult to guess correctly. If you need more info, call them and ask what the conditions were for the data reported.

This is very confusing to me, as it probably is for many of us. I got tired of trying to figure it out so just went with the series 9 15 row, which is what is used in the FRPP kit. If it was good enough for them to put in the kit is good enough for me. Plus, if anything ever happens with my motor while under warranty, Ford will have less reason to give me a hard time about adding a cooler that wasn't appropriate.

I've had several track days wiht just the OEM cooler and an autometer oil temp gauge so I will have good data on how much the 15 row cooler reduces the oil temp once I get it and install it.

KBBOSS1086 said:
This is very confusing to me, as it probably is for many of us. I got tired of trying to figure it out so just went with the series 9 15 row, which is what is used in the FRPP kit. If it was good enough for them to put in the kit is good enough for me. Plus, if anything ever happens with my motor while under warranty, Ford will have less reason to give me a hard time about adding a cooler that wasn't appropriate.

I've had several track days wiht just the OEM cooler and an autometer oil temp gauge so I will have good data on how much the 15 row cooler reduces the oil temp once I get it and install it.

Sounds like a good plan.

This is from an E mail I got from Setrab. Hope it helps...

"The values given are the product of the stated input parameters as applied to the specific cooler. The first value is product of the stated input parameters of a typical wet sump oiling system applied to each cooler. The second value is a product of the stated input parameters of a dry sump oiling system applied to each oil cooler.

50-925-7612 DP for the stated parameters are 2.6 psi/3.8 psi...50-634-7612 DP for the stated parameters are 1.7 psi/2.2 psi. From a practical standpoint it reasons well that the 634 loses less pressure from inlet to outlet because the fluid is traveling across more and shorter tubes. So, it doesn't remain in the cooler as long."

So I gather that a smaller cooler has less pressure drop but less cooling efficiency.

TMO Supporting Vendors