The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Please Welcome MGW Shifters As A TMO Vendor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tulsa, OK
Re: Please Welcome MGW Shifters As A BMO Vendor

MGW said:
Actually the shifter design is 99 percent done and priced., We have actually installed 4 production units on non MGW customers' cars over the past few weeks. We have one item not quoted and a heat treat cost for production pieces which i should have all of this by next week... Those 2 items could alter the price plus or minus maybe 15 dollars.

But its looking like roughly this...

Whole shifter complete 475-495

Core exchange credit if you have ANY generation of our MGW MT-82 shifter already of at least $200-220!!!

So if you have an MGW MT-82 you can get this new one for about 275!!

George

The exchange credit is a nice touch!!

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado

roadhouse said:
The exchange credit is a nice touch!!

Indeed it is. I was thinking if the cost start running too close to $500 - I would just keep the MGW I have now. Nothing wrong with it at all but am always looking out for improvements and with the core exchange deal, I'm will seriously consider this upgrade. Wonder how it will affect installation with the BFR shifter support bracket?

MGW

Supporting Vendor

TymeSlayer said:
Indeed it is. I was thinking if the cost start running too close to $500 - I would just keep the MGW I have now. Nothing wrong with it at all but am always looking out for improvements and with the core exchange deal, I'm will seriously consider this upgrade. Wonder how it will affect installation with the BFR shifter support bracket?

If you have the bracket already i would STRONGLY suggest selling it to someone with the stock or other type shifter because its a quality piece and you should recoup basically the cost of upgrading to this race spec shifter.

I want to stress!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You absolutely positively do NOT need ANY additional compenents with this shifter design!!!

NOTHING!!!

Anything added will not help rigidity but will negatively affect NVH!!

George

Tulsa, OK

MGW said:
If you have the bracket already i would STRONGLY suggest selling it to someone with the stock or other type shifter because its a quality piece and you should recoup basically the cost of upgrading to this race spec shifter.

I want to stress!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You absolutely positively do NOT need ANY additional compenents with this shifter design!!!

NOTHING!!!

Anything added will not help rigidity but will negatively affect NVH!!

George

Nice :D

MGW

Supporting Vendor

Swiss Boss said:
Your offer for the old shifter is really hard to ignore.

How difficult will it be to install this new shifter?

installation pf the race spec is actually easier because the lower box comes pre assembled,,no messing with bushings and such.

George

When can we place the order?

I have the shifter in the box ready to go never installed.

Paul

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois

I have products from Steve and George working together.

Car shifts great.

Hard to see any advantage to,removing what I have and upgrading.

Will see Steve and possible George at VIR next weekend.

Maybe a cage match to work this one out LOL ;D

Two great shops working in a common problem.

Can only be good the consumers.

gleek48

Tapatalk User

George-

What are the main differences between this new product and the old one?

If I just want a bit shorter throw and smoother engagement for HPDE use, which one do you recommend?

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast

This is great news, and looking at George's design on page one this new shifter will be worth every cent. Heading over to MGW now to see if I can per-order.

I love the thought of a true top loader design without extra brackets, and if confirmed by George, will run this new shifter with out the rear body mount. Great support for our cars from MGW, thank you George and Team MGW.

All the best,
Dave
2HP

Swiss Boss said:
Your offer for the old shifter is really hard to ignore.

How difficult will it be to install this new shifter?

George curious as well on the install. Would the transmission have to be dropped to get to the front of the support arm and to replace with your complete setup.

I have the 2014 MGW with the Blowfish and I'm pretty happy with the setup, but if the new version is even better I might want to upgrade as well

MGW

Supporting Vendor

hey guys,

OK I'll try to answer all your questions here...

First...as far as the original version, it is GREAT and we have sold thousands of them and really is the best quality and performing shifter on the market. And for 80 percent of Mustang owners it is ALL you need.

But...Track guys ( especially boss302 owners ) need something on a different level apparently. I have tracked my personal bosses for years with our shifter and never had any issues but i will not deny the improvement to our original version with the blowfish bracket . Anything that makes the shifter more solid for track use is a great thing. Noise and vibration are a bad thing though and we decided to make a track version that would give the best performance without the compromises people are dealing with.

So here's the dilema...do you buy the RACE SPEC or the current version....My answer to that is if you plan on EVER EVER putting this car on a track then get the race spec. its just that good. you will shoot yourself in the foot if you save some money now then have to upgrade later. I cannot continue the upgrade core charge indefinitely as we WILL lose money on that venture but i want to get them out there and get people using them and becoming believers in the design.

If you have the current version and you occasionally track the car then i would NOT upgrade unless you actually have issues on track. Like i said i have put over 20k track miles on 2 bosses ( a 12 standard and a 13 laguna seca ) and NEVER had lockout issues except at VIR full course in fifth when the trans got really hot but still not a deal breaker on lap times. But i have been road racing for 20 plus years and have found myself to be very good at adjusting to and working with design flaws in transmissions and shifters. If you cant beat em join em!! So i decided to focus on making the race spec an absolute no compromises , cost no object shifter and see what happened. Well the result was just awesome. It gave me the performance and confidence to run 10 10ths and not have to hold back a bit. Does everybody need this ? NO....i know for fact after talking with hundreds and hundreds of fellow track junkies over the years that most guys love their cars and will never beat on them like i do and only go about 6-7 10ths out there for fear of wadding up their car. For those...the original version in my opinion is sufficient.

Now for installation...

its actually pretty easy i can actually install one from scratch in about an hour with a lift. you do have to remove the trans cross brace so you can lower the trans and reach up in there to get 2 the 2 bolts up top. one disconnects the linkage arm and the other removes that bent support side arm. thats it. then remove the rear bushing bracket and the factory shifter is out.

you do not have to remove the driveshaft on a 2011-2014 car...it is still up in the air on the 15 cars as we have not installed all the models yet.

the other nice touch with the new race spec is that it comes with the lower box already assembled so no messing with bushings etc.

Even though you can and we have run the shifter WITHOUT the rear bracket- do not do this....the rear bracket lowers vibration and noise thru the shifter by design and has nothing to do with having ANY negative issues with the shifter...i am not sure why alot of people are so hung up on something being mounted to the car. if it doesnt matter and the car shifts EXACTLY like you want it to then stop overthinking stuff and just bang gears!~!~!!!

So...to make things even MORE confusing i will say i have not decided if i will offer both versions side by side forever...may stop production on the original right away...may see how things go...i had intentions of making our GT500 gen 1 and gen 2 together but after realizing how much better the gen2 performed for less than 100 dollars more it just didnt make sense.

We only have 100 current versions of our shifter in stock now. We have 50 of the race spec units that are all but 8 presold and running 200 more right now.

So if you want one of the 8 race specs ready now you better call asap. they will ship next week...the next batch in about 3 weeks after that., If you want one of the 100 original versions call us we may run a special on them also.
706-793-1770

George

MGW

Supporting Vendor

Brandon302 said:
Would you be able to tell us what the price is for the race spec?

i had posted this on page one...

Actually the shifter design is 99 percent done and priced., We have actually installed 4 production units on non MGW customers' cars over the past few weeks. We have one item not quoted and a heat treat cost for production pieces which i should have all of this by next week... Those 2 items could alter the price plus or minus maybe 15 dollars.

Core exchange credit if you have ANY generation of our MGW MT-82 shifter already of at least $200-220!!!

George

MGW said:
i had posted this on page one...

George

Thanks for the repost, my scanning is slacking.

gleek48

Tapatalk User

Group buy for the early adopters of the Race Spec? If so, I'm in!

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast

I ordered mine last week and happy that I did. There is even a chance it will ship by Wednesday. This is very exciting.. More to follow . . .

Dave

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado

Ordered mine as well.
What a great group of people to work with.
Video of the new Race Spec shifter due out in the next couple of weeks.

Hey George,
Forgot to ask. Many like me installed a Whiteline Gearbox mount bushing. Sounds like this may be obsolete now as well. Can you confirm this for me?

gleek48

Tapatalk User

That video is impressive. Nice looking upgrade.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel