The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Poor-Man's Ram Air for the Boss?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alrite, so I'm thinking....

Take a Boss 302S grille with the vented foglight holes...
boss-302-build-018.jpg

... get some ducting and run it from the vented foglight hole on the driver's side and either hook it up to your Cold Air Intake, or connect it into the stock tube where the flex duct is...
18194n-48.jpg
(maybe put a small panel filter on the foglight hole in this case).

Is there a reason that the CAI / intake duct has to be so long? Can it be shortened a smidge, and then run a duct from the new filter at the foglight hole and right into the end of the shortened intake tube?

Hrm...

There will be nothing "Poor-Man's" on my Boss ;D

I think the factory system will perform just fine. Trying to run a pipe from the front grill(through, around radiator?) to a "modified" intake tube/filter will be a huge project and in the end, probably won't yield any benefit.

Poor man's intake on a honda=good ;D Poor man's intake on a Boss=Bad ;D

I'll save my pennies and get something that will add PSI to my motor, hmmm, something with Ford Racing on it.

GA
Mike_B_SVT said:
Alrite, so I'm thinking....

Take a Boss 302S grille with the vented foglight holes...
boss-302-build-018.jpg

... get some ducting and run it from the vented foglight hole on the driver's side and either hook it up to your Cold Air Intake, or connect it into the stock tube where the flex duct is...
18194n-48.jpg
(maybe put a small panel filter on the foglight hole in this case).

Is there a reason that the CAI / intake duct has to be so long? Can it be shortened a smidge, and then run a duct from the new filter at the foglight hole and right into the end of the shortened intake tube?

Hrm...

Wouldn't it suck if the 2013 Boss came with the 302S grille? ;D

That always happens to me when I buy a car the first year it comes out.

If I am correct the opening to the bottom of the air box is next to the radiator. It doesn't matter where that opening is located it matters what happens to the air around the opening. If the air can't escape to the sides, bottom or top it will go through the duct to the air box. I'd still like to see if Ford did anything to control the air around the radiator better than the GT.

TMO Supporting Vendors