The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Popping/Clicking noise when steering. HELP!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Has anyone had the problem (after you run the car for 20 min and the engine is hot) of a clicking or popping sound only when stationary after turning the wheel? For me, it happens when the car is stopped or barely moving and I rotate the wheel all the way to the left or at least 8/10s of the way and then back to the right. As soon as the steering wheel releases from being almost all the way to the left, I hear a popping or clicking noise. It sounds like it's coming from the front left area of the car but I can't tell.

I started to notice this about a week ago when I was backing into my parking space which requires me to turn the wheel almost all the way to the left.

I am almost positive the car does not make this noise when cold or on startup but I can always double check. Car does not make this noise when wheel is turned all the way to the right. Any advice?

GA
I had an issue where the steering made a grinding or groaning noise and vibration at low speeds. They replaced a steering column bearing under warranty. It has been fine since it was replaced.

isrboss

yankeehick said:
not really my issue but I appreciate the response. :)

I did not post earlier because I thought you would get hammered over this. The OEM upper strut mounts are known to cause similar noises.

TMO Supporting Vendors