The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ported adapter for coyote stock oil cooler?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are there any ported adapters that can be installed between stock oil filter adapter FR3Z-6881-K and stock oil cooler FR3E-6A642-AC in a Gen II Coyote (position 1 as presented on the image)? It seems this would be the best place to put an OT sensor (except drilling the pan).

All adapters I have seen yet need to be installed between the stock oil cooler FR3E-6A642-AC and the oil filter (position 2 as presented on the image). However this place makes no sense for OT measuring.

oil cooler adapter.jpg

It shouldn't matter what side you mount the sandwich adapter to since the threads of the mount, cooler and filter are the same, unless there are protrusions on the engine side of the cooler that would prevent it from mounting flat.
Process would be to screw the sandwich adapter to oil filter mount (#6881) then screw cooler (#6A642) to the sandwich plate.
The photo looks like there are tabs to prevent the cooler from spinning on the mount; they would have to be removed.

It shouldn't matter what side you mount the sandwich adapter to since the threads of the mount, cooler and filter are the same, unless there are protrusions on the engine side of the cooler that would prevent it from mounting flat.
Process would be to screw the sandwich adapter to oil filter mount (#6881) then screw cooler (#6A642) to the sandwich plate.
The photo looks like there are tabs to prevent the cooler from spinning on the mount; they would have to be removed.
Thanks bauern. Sounds good. What I have learned form other threads here is that you can either install the sandwich plate after 6A642 or you need to delete 6A642 when you install the sandwich plate on the block side (E.g. https://trackmustangsonline.com/thr...-before-oil-reaches-the-boss-oil-cooler.6999/)

Perhaps something like a Vibrant 17070 would work? It's usually paired up with their thermostatic plate, but it may work solo.
Thanks mwjscn, this Vibrant model looks like you even don't have to remove the anti-rotation tabs on the OEM cooler.

How about tightness? If the sandwich plate is placed between the OEM adapter (6881) and the OEM cooler (6A642), will the cooler (6A642) fit the sandwich plate just as tight as it fits the adapter (6881) in the stock setup? I have some doubts because the back of the sandwich plate is normally designed to fit the oil filter, not the OEM cooler, and the oil filter has much larger and thicker seal than the OEM cooler. Isn't it that the OEM cooler seal fits the OEM adapter only?

Before I disassemble everything and check this myself, perhaps someone who has tried this before can share their experience...

2.jpg

3.jpg

5a3394a527fcc5a5c1c236dedc047fda.jpeg

filter.jpg

The Vibrant Oil Filter Spacer has a gasket of its own on one side, so as long as you're matching up gaskets to flat faces in your stack I would imagine it would be fine. You will have to figure out how to bolt it all together, though, depending on your orientation. Seems like you'd be able to thread the included Vibrant oil filter screw into the engine oil adapter, so the female side is outward, slip the spacer over, and then thread the stock oil cooler into that. Add your sensors into the spacer before you add the oil cooler, for access reasons. Appears to work in my head, but never done it before.
OFSA_1.PNG
OFSA_2.PNG

The Vibrant Oil Filter Spacer has a gasket of its own on one side, so as long as you're matching up gaskets to flat faces in your stack I would imagine it would be fine. You will have to figure out how to bolt it all together, though, depending on your orientation. Seems like you'd be able to thread the included Vibrant oil filter screw into the engine oil adapter, so the female side is outward, slip the spacer over, and then thread the stock oil cooler into that. Add your sensors into the spacer before you add the oil cooler, for access reasons. Appears to work in my head, but never done it before.
Thanks. Perhaps will try Vibrant. looks easier to install than my Mishimoto plate.

Thanks mwjscn, this Vibrant model looks like you even don't have to remove the anti-rotation tabs on the OEM cooler.

How about tightness? If the sandwich plate is placed between the OEM adapter (6881) and the OEM cooler (6A642), will the cooler (6A642) fit the sandwich plate just as tight as it fits the adapter (6881) in the stock setup? I have some doubts because the back of the sandwich plate is normally designed to fit the oil filter, not the OEM cooler, and the oil filter has much larger and thicker seal than the OEM cooler. Isn't it that the OEM cooler seal fits the OEM adapter only?

Before I disassemble everything and check this myself, perhaps someone who has tried this before can share their experience...

The sandwich adapter and oil cooler are installed with a much higher torque than the oil filter. The cooler is spec'd at, 43 ft-lbs; the adapter is probably similar.
Also, the oil filter gasket fits the oil filter adapter. You can eliminate the cooler and just install the filter if you wished so the gasket size between the filter and cooler is similar.

TMO Supporting Vendors