The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Positives and Negatives of switching to Tremec Magnum XL

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

There is no way to compare the two, shifting the Tremec is effortless. Having said that I just cut short a weekend since once again my car will not shift. I am thinking the slave/throwout went bad again, this one has 8 track days on it. They are a weak point no matter the transmission used.

I was thinking to put a lower gear in the rear, 3:55 but glad I did not. The gearing is great for the track except the first overdrive gear (5th). It was suppose to have a .80 but they decided on a .74, while it is better then the MT82 at .65 a .85 or even more would be better with less RPM drop at fast tracks. The gears can be swapped out but it is costly, JPC can sell you the trans and change the gears before they ship it. I decided not to because of cost and the only time I need an over drive gear is at Daytona anyway. The 1st gear at 2.66 is also a problem if the car is a DD, I have stalled mine a few time since you need some RPM's starting out.

So the downsides to the Tremec are gear ratios but zero problems with the Tremec itself outside of that (even if it is still better then the MT82's overdrive). As Rick stated most people will not break the MT82 and most problems are clutch and slave cylinders. However if you track a lot or drive hard you will end up with problems in the long run I have been told. People like Dean tested the race cars with the MT82 and broke them, there is reason the Tremec is put into the S and R models, it's that simple. That is why I changed it, no sense spending money for clutch and driveshaft only having to swap them out again if the MT82 fails later.

I don't think I could strap into a Boss again with the MT82 and enjoy the ride after using the Tremec, at least one with a working slave.

My Boss has a Magnum XL trans with the 2:97 low gear and the .80 5th gear. It was ordered from JPC and shipped direct from LIBERTY gear. I also installed a Mcloud RXT duel disc clutch and aluminum racing flywheel . A steel SFI bell housing and a Dynatech aluminum Driveshaft with safety loop. I replaced the rear gear with a 3:31 . For me this combination allows for a useful low gear. I can just let the clutch out at idle w/o lurching, and yet you have a heart thumping top end. The Tremec magnum XL is by far the best Trans for the Boss. I have Eibach coilovers front and back, Metco upper and lower control arms, an adjustable panhard bar with a Ford Racing 18 mm. rear sway bar. Autopower roll bar W/cross brace in trunk and a pair of Simpson 5 point belts. Kooks 1 7/8" Long tube SS Headers and cats along with Gt 500 mufflers, Peterson oil breather canister, Enkei rims w/235/75 18 Hoosiers, and Continental Gran-AM scrubs. A JLT CAI. I did NOT have the track key installed. I have my own two step and line lock if needed. I have a Auto Blip on the work bench yet to be installed. The 155 speed limiter has been removed from the ECU. The D-Accel is fully functional. The what I call (Torque Bog) that occures when the ECU scenses the point of clutch slippage under hard low gear acceleration has also been eliminated. The car was tuned by Ken Bjonnes of Lund Racing at Power by the Hour In Florida. I am Old School and have blended some of the old to the new to suit my feel when I drive. My Boss is just right for me at this point , That is until I twin Turbo it at PBTH.

@daddyfixer,

From your signature it seems like you are predominately drag racing? Have you used the set up for road racing? I know JPC is big on drag set-ups as well.

The Boss is set up for driving in general right now. The signature pic was an early on one time thing just to get my friends off of my back. LOL It was a one time strip outing. The car has not been on a R/R track yet. The car is to be used as an R/D Twin turbo car by Lund Racing and Power by the Hour.

daddyfixer said:
My Boss has a Magnum XL trans with the 2:97 low gear and the .80 5th gear. It was ordered from JPC and shipped direct from LIBERTY gear. I also installed a Mcloud RXT duel disc clutch and aluminum racing flywheel . A steel SFI bell housing and a Dynatech aluminum Driveshaft with safety loop. I replaced the rear gear with a 3:31 . For me this combination allows for a useful low gear. I can just let the clutch out at idle w/o lurching, and yet you have a heart thumping top end. The Tremec magnum XL is by far the best Trans for the Boss. I have Eibach coilovers front and back, Metco upper and lower control arms, an adjustable panhard bar with a Ford Racing 18 mm. rear sway bar. Autopower roll bar W/cross brace in trunk and a pair of Simpson 5 point belts. Kooks 1 7/8" Long tube SS Headers and cats along with Gt 500 mufflers, Peterson oil breather canister, Enkei rims w/235/75 18 Hoosiers, and Continental Gran-AM scrubs. A JLT CAI. I did NOT have the track key installed. I have my own two step and line lock if needed. I have a Auto Blip on the work bench yet to be installed. The 155 speed limiter has been removed from the ECU. The D-Accel is fully functional. The what I call (Torque Bog) that occures when the ECU scenses the point of clutch slippage under hard low gear acceleration has also been eliminated. The car was tuned by Ken Bjonnes of Lund Racing at Power by the Hour In Florida. I am Old School and have blended some of the old to the new to suit my feel when I drive. My Boss is just right for me at this point , That is until I twin Turbo it at PBTH.
Wow you've been busy!

Busy yes. I am retired and will be 70 soon. All of my seat time has been at several R/R schools . I Drag raced for several years in the NMRA series in a Drag specific 98 Cobra. Sold it and bought the BOSS.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
When I upgraded my t-5 to g-force gears, the 5th gearset was left stock and the rest were changed. Changing 1-4 ended up changing 5th from .68 to .50. Based on that, I am going to guess the 5-6 are the same gearset for both and the 1-4 set is what determines the 5-6 ratios.

daddyfixer said:
The Boss is set up for driving in general right now. The signature pic was an early on one time thing just to get my friends off of my back. LOL It was a one time strip outing. The car has not been on a R/R track yet. The car is to be used as an R/D Twin turbo car by Lund Racing and Power by the Hour.

I am surprised by this because, Ken/Lund Racing has been putting TT's in Gt's and Boss for awhile now. I know this because my friend was Alpha 1 and they did a Boss after his

This is true. They have. They started out with Jons 2011. and then, what Ken called (Alpha one) Which is probably the one that your friend has , and then Alpha two and a few others. R/D for the complete kit is constantly under refinement to insure that the public purchases the best system in the market place .

This one will be (Beta One) for the specific R/R customer. For further info. you might give Ken a call at Lund Racing. Right now we are waiting for specific (cast headers) for this TTurbo application. Thanks for your interest.
Victor

I thought the twin turbo project was dead after i saw no new updates on twinturbo50.com after the first Boss they did. Glad to see it isnt.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
YellowBoss said:
I am thinking the slave/throwout went bad again, this one has 8 track days on it. They are a weak point no matter the transmission used.

I don't think I could strap into a Boss again with the MT82 and enjoy the ride after using the Tremec, at least one with a working slave.

Scott--McLeod makes a couple aftermarket TOBs that look beefier than stock. I know they have a GT500 fitment which should work in your application. No experience with this unit, but I'd have a hard time believing it's not better than stock. Main downside is the price at around $500, however if you're blowing through stock TOBs you might see an ROI on that sooner than expected...

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
ArizonaGT said:
Scott--McLeod makes a couple aftermarket TOBs that look beefier than stock. I know they have a GT500 fitment which should work in your application. No experience with this unit, but I'd have a hard time believing it's not better than stock. Main downside is the price at around $500, however if you're blowing through stock TOBs you might see an ROI on that sooner than expected...
part number or link?

ArizonaGT said:

Just got the trans out, throwout bearing with the spring and boot completely separated from the base of the unit (where the reservoir is). Talked with a team about this and the say others have come apart but he worried why mine would with only a few "track" days on it. I think they change them after three race weekends. I put some pics up later.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Justin said:
part number or link?

http://www.lethalperformance.com/2011-2012-shelby-gt500/transmission/slave-cylinders/mcleod-05-2012-mustang-adjustable-slave-cylinder.html

You might want to call them to confirm fitment, I think they come in two different lengths.

Yes the slave cylinder do come in different lenghts. I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a Tremec. Working with Libertys Gear and Tremec today, I have decided to go with the 2.66 Narrow ratio unit. I also found out that you can indeed swap out the overdrive clusters, so I am going to have them put in the .80 and .63 unit in vice the one that comes with it. This gearing is really close to the MT-82's 2nd through 5th gear ratios and close to the 302R's 2nd through 6th. I will let you know how it turns out.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
wwilde001 said:
Yes the slave cylinder do come in different lenghts. I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a Tremec. Working with Libertys Gear and Tremec today, I have decided to go with the 2.66 Narrow ratio unit. I also found out that you can indeed swap out the overdrive clusters, so I am going to have them put in the .80 and .63 unit in vice the one that comes with it. This gearing is really close to the MT-82's 2nd through 5th gear ratios and close to the 302R's 2nd through 6th. I will let you know how it turns out.

Yes, keep us posted, I am very interested to learn more about that in case my MT82 grenades at some point down the road!
Are they charging you for that ratio swap or ?

wwilde001 said:

Bill
Why did you go with the .80? Just curious not questioning you. As I said if I was going to do this I would sit down and look at some serious data to come up with a fifth gear that would work for me. I only use 5Th at Daytona and would be looking at what RPM I would be at from a 4Th gear shift at max RPM to fifth. The .80 would leave me with a top speed of 187MPH where as a .85 would leave me at a top speed of 176. I think somewhere in betwwen would suit me well for where I drive.

What are the gear ratio's in the 302R? Also anyone know the factory 302S gear ratios?

ArizonaGT said:
Are they charging you for that ratio swap or ?

I was told $400 to change 5Th gear. I was able to hit 168 with the .74 gear, even with better gearing I don't think I would go faster then the Grand Am guys as they normally get to 172-174. At that speed everything matters, my second day at Daytona on a recent track run had a head wind in the tri-oval and my best speed all day was 162 or 163.

daddyfixer said:
This is true. They have. They started out with Jons 2011. and then, what Ken called (Alpha one) Which is probably the one that your friend has , and then Alpha two and a few others. R/D for the complete kit is constantly under refinement to insure that the public purchases the best system in the market place .

This one will be (Beta One) for the specific R/R customer. For further info. you might give Ken a call at Lund Racing. Right now we are waiting for specific (cast headers) for this TTurbo application. Thanks for your interest.
Victor

Good stuff, I'm sure your chomping at the bit. Sean's (alpha1) is a very clean setup, real professional job.

Scott, I am limited by what Tremec offers for this setup. Currently the only options for the over drive are the .74 combination or the .80 combination. FYI, I think they are going to charge me labor only to change the OD gear clusters, but will let you know when I find out. Original Tremec warranty will remain in place when they do the swap. I originally asked if they could change 2nd and 3rd gear ratio's on the wide ratio transmission. They said these came in gear sets, the 2.97 or the 2.66, and that they could not change the gears within the set. I guess if I had a dump truck full of cash, I could custom order anything, but since I don't, I will have to pick what is available at this price point. If only the 302R tranny had a speedo pickup...and then you have the proprietary gear ratios that Ford has designed...and not for sale except through Ford.

My bad I did not read the word unit in this

"so I am going to have them put in the .80 and .63 unit in vice the one that comes with it"

I was thinking you were going to get the wide ratio and swap out the .74 and .50

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel