The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Possible issue with relocation brackets?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I was told by a friend that American Muscle, or possibly another website/dealer, came to the conclusion that relo brackets are dangerous as they increase load on the axle tubes and in their care can actually snap and axle/axle tube. Has anyone else come upon this information? Not the bash AM but I wouldn't consider them a credible source when it comes to suspension knowledge.

From my understanding, relocation brackets relocate the lower control arm further away from the center axis of the axletube, which means the axletube will experience a higher moment. Now I dont know how the actual axle will be effected in the tube, but I guess that's another reason why drag racers weld the tubes to the bell housing.

Personally, I see this happening more to drag racers.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Brandon302 said:
I was told by a friend that American Muscle, or possibly another website/dealer, came to the conclusion that relo brackets are dangerous as they increase load on the axle tubes and in their care can actually snap and axle/axle tube. Has anyone else come upon this information? Not the bash AM but I wouldn't consider them a credible source when it comes to suspension knowledge.

You need to cut this person out of your circle of friends.

I believe, seeing is it was AM it was probably a drag car that this happened to. I am also going to give him the benefit of the doubt because he is new to Mustangs.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
It's true and welding the axles won't stop it. Swarr bar is a good insurance against this (I have one) but unless you are pounding the rear with 4000+rpm launches on something like a radial pro or stiff wall slick I wouldn't worry to much about it

Have Relo brackets. Welded. 250 miles plus of track driving plus another 15,000 street. No probes, but I never drag race. With 40K miles on original clutch.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
ArizonaBOSS said:
You need to cut this person out of your circle of friends.
;D

Depends on the car.
1,300hp car on fat slicks? ::) Yes, it's an issue. You'd be unwise to use brackets and axle tubes unwelded.
Stock GT or Boss on street tires. Bolt that stuff in and don't worry too much. :p

TMO Supporting Vendors