The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Possible Suspension Problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey guys. I just installed new LCA's, Adj. Panhard bar, and LCA relocation brackets and think I have an issue. Whenever I give it gas, the front end pulls to the left and whenever I let off of the gas, the front goes back right. It's not just a little pull, it's pretty significant. In all reality it could be the rear shifting but it definitely feels like the front. I went through and rechecked all my bolts and parts. Everything seems to be correct. The only thing I haven't done is get it realigned. I know that an alignment is needed and will do one Thursday but if there is an issue, I would like to fix it before I get it aligned. Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts? Please feel free to spit ball. Thanks.

Yikes I have no idea but hopefully someone will be able to help.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Sounds like there's something loose or misaligned with the LCAs/Brackets. I'd go over all the bolts again one more time. Are the LCAs adjustable too? Check the wheelbase measurements left and right and see if they match.

If your car was last aligned with the stock panhard, it could be that the shift to center has changed your thrust angle enough to create the steering problem you describe.

If you don't have any installation or adjustment issues with the newly installed parts, the alignment might solve everything.

If all bolts are tight, possibly related to the panhard bar. Need to make sure it is adjusted so the rear axle is centered. Could be the problem.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Lindsey

Which LCAs are you using?

Sounds like a torque steer issue related to the rear end. This was/is common on C2/3 corvettes. When the bushings wear and you accelerate, the car changes direct only to return to normal when you let off the throttle. Not saying anything is worn, can't be, it's new. Could be something not installed correctly, manufactured wrong or something else.

I would take a look at the LCAs, brackets etc and see what may be wrong. My first set of LCAs from Ford had issues. Replacement set fixed the problem. The width of the LCA end for the rear was too narrow and the bushings did not fill the gap. Under acceleration, the car would steer. I shimed the gap and solved the problem. I later learned about the parts issue and Ford sent me replacements. Gary helped me on the one....thanks again.

When I have a issue like this, if I did the install, I have a fresh set of eyes take a look. Hard for me to see my mistakes. My wife says it's because I can't accept the fact I could be wrong. I usually agree with her, easier than giving her half of everything and starting over again. LOL.

Good Luck

Grant: They are fixed LCA's. I did go over the panhard adjustment last night and it was set. However, I will check that again and also reverify all the bolts are tightened correctly. My Boss only has 2000 miles on it so it is still on factory alignment. I'm really hoping it's the alignment. I just have never felt a pull that bad from misalignment.
Jnathan: I will recheck my center.
TMSBOSS: I'm using non adjustable BMR. Here is the link: http://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=products&productid=156
I remember back in the day when my dad was working on his muscle cars a lot of them would pull like this (sort of) but they were well over 600 rwhp and designed for the 1/4 mile. Anything is possible with my install job or manufacturing defects. I will say that a fellow Boss owner who has this exact same setup on his helped me with the install and afterwards I even looked at his to double check. All of the new parts are all nice and tight. No gaps. Everything fit really well too.
Thanks for all your help guys. I'm going to wait until this evening before I attack it again since I'm pretty frustrated and tired.

yes this sure sounds like an LCA issue. If the were used LCA's, I would look at the condition of the bushings. Being that they are new it sounds like the attachment bolts are loose.

06mach1 said:
yes this sure sounds like an LCA issue. If the were used LCA's, I would look at the condition of the bushings. Being that they are new it sounds like the attachment bolts are loose.
Thanks man. I'll recheck the torque settings first.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
were all the bolt torqued with the weight of the car on the suspension? if not if you did it with the rear hanging you run the big risk of the parts binding.

Justin

LindsayEOD said:
No. The BMR ones dont require it.
yeah I would look into that first as they could be shifting under power and off power. try taking those off and running the lca's without them and see how it handles

Justin

well seeing how he didnt touch the front end I dont know how that would be the cause and it switching between on and off the throttle rules out the alignment for me. the only thing I dont consider solid out of those parts is the relocation brackets. they could be flexing or could be moving since they are not welded in. they are easy to pop out and attach the lca's back up and go for a drive.

Thats my 02

Justin said:
well seeing how he didnt touch the front end I dont know how that would be the cause and it switching between on and off the throttle rules out the alignment for me.
That's what has me wondering Justin. I understand it does need an alignment and can feel it a little while just at cruise. Pretty standard feel. But when I give it gas it just wants to dart to the left and when I let off the gas it goes back right.

Check your rear shock settings . One may be set higher then the other. If they are staggered ,one on a low setting (1) and the other on a high setting (5) it might cause the car to pull under hard acceleration.

TMO Supporting Vendors