The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Powder coating wheels

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Michigan
Old post but best place to ask.…. I have always been hesitant to have wheels stripped and powder coated by the local does everything type guys. I’ve seen multiple wheels crack spokes after being redone and used on track. I assume this is a bake temp issue that alters the properties of the wheel.

Asking because I picked up a nice used set of track wheels but not wild about the color. They are Forgelines and Forgeline wants a grand to redo them but I figure they know what they are doing.

Whats your experience?

Old post but best place to ask.…. I have always been hesitant to have wheels stripped and powder coated by the local does everything type guys. I’ve seen multiple wheels crack spokes after being redone and used on track. I assume this is a bake temp issue that alters the properties of the wheel.

Asking because I picked up a nice used set of track wheels but not wild about the color. They are Forgelines and Forgeline wants a grand to redo them but I figure they know what they are doing.

Whats your experience?
My personal opinion is that I would not worry about it, half the teams in IMSA use coated wheels. Those wheels get hotter than 10 hells on the race car, and the heat applied in power coating is no where near that.. I'm making the assumption that no one will warranty those wheels because any coating may cover up existing cracks, cause the tires to rotate on the wheel if not done right, or would just look crappy and they don't want to deal with it.

1000003645.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors