The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Power past 7,500?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey guys,

I'm looking at getting the boss tuned by Shaun at AED, which got me thinking if I added a CJ pulse ring and spun it past 7,500 would there be anymore power or any real added benefits to doing so? I'm also thinking about adding a CJ intake way later down the road so this is also peaking curiosity.

Thanks
Kody

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Kody
Stock cams and intake the car drops off starting at 7200 rpm so spinning past 7500 won't get you anything, with the CJ intake you will see an increase in power and torque above 5000 and up to 7600 with stock cams, with the Comp Cams set that goes to 7900!
Get the ring installed and get a CJ Intake setup with tune from AED, you won't be disappointed.
I just got the Revolution Auto 5" CAI setup for my CJ manifold and will be installing an AED tune myself. My car right now is making 432 RWHP, I will post up results as soon as I can.
Steve

I'm dying to get my tune. Now that I have my rivals and can hopefully get traction I'm ready go some power!

I thought these cams made more power past than 7,500?

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
kody said:
I'm dying to get my tune. Now that I have my rivals and can hopefully get traction I'm ready go some power!

I thought these cams made more power past than 7,500?

Not from the few dyno charts I've seen with stock Boss cams. The power above 7500 is still more than a stock Boss with headers peak, but the peak is at 7500. Figure 460 at the tires vs a Boss with headers at 435-440.
Steve

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
With my new boss engine and rev auto tune, peak was at 7600, but only dropped 10hp at 8200. Power was flat from 6800 to 8200. I shifted at 8000 because gt ECU locks out at 8200 and I needed a little breathing room between shifts.

That was with kooks shorty/catless/gt500, alum flywheel, alum ds, and c&l cai and, of course the boss intake. I did install the CJ pulse ring with the new engine just in case I chose to spin her to 8k all the time.

It came in at 444rwhp/397rwtq

Hp # is ironic, isn't it?

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
Gt intake peaks at 6700 and falls off more gradually than any stock gt engine dynos I have seen, but there is not much point in spinning past 7000. I generally shift at 7200 because it works better for the mt82 gear spacing.

Since the gt motor really isn't too different from the boss, I believe the extra lift on the boss exhaust cams with a free flowing exhaust is what allows it to not nosedive after peak.

TMO Supporting Vendors