The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Power Shifting 4th to 5th?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anybody power shifting from 4 to 5? Considering 5th gear is 1:1, it seems like it should be fine. I just installed an MGW and it feels like I would never miss 5th, if I need it. With some 4:30's I would need 5th but they might be the ticket for an 11 sec pass.

Bill Pemberton said:
Not a good tranny to power shift , MGW or not , and it is the best short throw kit on the market!

It is the best no doubt but not the shortest throw at all I have a friend whom has a hurst and I will say it is half the shift length. If you plan on power shifting I would look into a shorter throw shifter.

I took my Boss to the drag strip and I power shifted from 1st to 2nd and 3rd to 4th for about 5 passes and not one issue with the shifting at all. I do have the MGW installed too.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Will not say the Hurst shifter is not a good piece ( it is ) , but as the Dealer who did well over 135 Hurst Challengers and Mustangs, I can unequivacably say the MGW system is even better, imho!

Bill Pemberton said:
Will not say the Hurst shifter is not a good piece ( it is ) , but as the Dealer who did well over 135 Hurst Challengers and Mustangs, I can unequivacably say the MGW system is even better, imho!

Yes the mgw is built better and over all better BUT the hurst is a shorter throw and that is what you want for power shifting.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
not if you cant hit third with it short doesnt usually mean best for power shifting.

could run a WOTBOX and flat shift all day long with anyshifter out there lol

TMO Supporting Vendors