The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Power steering failure

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I had the power steering go out on the highway today. I had just taken out my AED track tune and flashed in the performance tune about 30min before. Any thoughts?? Once I parked the car and waited a bit, it started up and was fine.

Never happend before, any thoughts???

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Lucky I have Alternator number 4 ready to go in! Just waiting for a new Boss Oilcooler to arrive then will do them at the same time. After my offroad trip, my oil cooler developed a mild drip.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Well, scary update..... I was pleased as punch in third place, catching up to two Cayman gt4's in front of me...... And it was about lap 9 when my power steering went out coming up to a Chicane at 110mph....... Had one hell of a time keeping the car on track and limped through the race for the next 6 laps without power steering...Ended up sixth..... I have a new generic battery (non agm) and a new alternator.... Swapped out the battery from a friends mustang and managed to go on for the next race with out any repeats......

Do our steering racks fail like this apart from voltage problems? This time the failure did not give a error message...... I was about to install a new braille light weight battery (agm, the 15 pound one with 574 Cranking Amps)... But now am worried that its too small.....

Also installed a Tilton oil pump so maybe that added to the voltage woes??

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
It could work, but this is my 4th altenator.... the larger pulley calms down the alternator rpm as well, I think the smaller pulley would mean I would go through alternators faster!! the car is about 75% track and 25% street now.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel