The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

PowerStop track pads are they really track worthy?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I've been using Gloc R12 or carbotech XP12 pads for years without issue. However a friend of mine is insistence on trying the Powerstop track pads even though I have recommended otherwise. Is all hope lost or does this pad offer the performance necessary to take track abuse and not leave one wanting? He has the speed of an advanced HPDE driver, but lacks on track experience. Just trying to verify the capabilities of these pads as I'd rather not see a buddy or anyone for than matter runout of brakes on track.

For what it's worth, I have run those pads and they are ample track pads. Not the best out there, I ran through about 3 sets. They generate a lot of brake dust / squeak like any track pad, but they never overheated on me / quit. They are half the price because they do not last as long (probably get 1-2 full days more from a more expensive pad). Although, I would say their going to last about 70% as long as a quality pad like a Carbotech / Gloc. I've now gone to GLOC R16/R8 combo and the bite is MUCH stronger on the GLOC. You can modulate the brakes more on the Trackdays and they do require significantly more pressure to "bite down" when you need to stop. I guess that is all preference, I prefer the very strong initial Bite from the GLOC.

I would say these Trackway pads are hard to beat for the price! My .02...
I too am an advanced driver run group. I am pretty hard on brakes from what I've heard from ride alongs.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
I too have been using the TrackDay pads. They have done well and have been able to bring my car down from 140mph to about 45-50 on the back straight of Pocono with no fade at all. A set of pads will easily last me 5 HDPE days at the Intermediate level along with driving to and from the track and still have 40-50% thickness remaining.. I swap to the PowerStop Z26 pads for the street.

Having said that, I may have outgrown them and may try the G-LOC R12 next season.

They are really dusty and squeal like a banshee when braking at the end of high speed straights.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
I ran them and at first they were ok but once I got the car working well they were not able to cope in long hard braking zones or in complexes of corners with several braking zones in succession. They would just give up in a very unsettling manner. The rotors they were on were junked as well from the heat, the surface was work hardened so badly a brake lathe could not remove material cleanly. I went to Hawk race pads and no issues with them so far.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel