The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 PR3DAT0R CFTP Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Loved your " Build Thread " and is sounds like you might want to change your moniker to " Thirsty, " ha! Absolutely stunning color and helped a very good friend/past customer of mine get a GT500 and he asked me what color I thought would look dynamite on the car and not have the standard look. I suggested one just like yours, sans the stripes , and he gets tons of looks wherever he takes it. Glad you and your son are both enjoying TMO and those of us who are fathers and a bit more mature drivers expect you to whip up on the youngster with the " Red Dator !"

We need video from you two on the tracks in Southern Florida.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
West Palm Beach
As much as I would love to consistently beat him on the track, he’s a good driver and pretty fearless. I did beat him by just under a second at Homestead. At Sebring I was .007 behind his best time. I know the GT500’s are faster. Just not sure how much the extra weight and my driver abilities have to play in the scenario yet. One thing is sure, when the tires go away, the 500 is a handful.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Heh, I completely understand ---- used to beat my son regularly in Autocrossing and now I am just the proud Tire Warmer for him in his ASP EVO 9 !

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
West palm beach
What’s up dad.

I have to say, the gt500 is way scarier to drive than the gt350.

the driver confidence in the gt350 is very quick to learn.

In the gt500 I feel like that car tries to kill you sometimes. It’s a completely different beast. It’s no doubt the faster car, but requires in my opinion allot more skill to handle.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
West Palm Beach
We are finding out about how expensive this track play is. My son and I have been drag racing since he was old enough to crawl under the car and hand me a wrench. Tires weren’t part of the weekly calculation. Tracking once a week and driving as hard as we do, we’re running through tires every 4-5 track days. Sometimes sooner. At this pace the cost WILL slow us down. Unless we buy stock in one of the tire companies we decide to run and buy boat load quantities.
We are still testing and learning both the cars and our abilities. so for now, the fun factor still outweighs the empty wallet.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Road courses are more expensive than drag racing. Until you calculate cost per minute of track time. A busy day at the drag strip will likely yield 2-4 minutes of track time. From that perspective road courses are cheap.
One way to cut tire costs is to run takeoffs.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
West Palm Beach
I was reading through some earlier posts on here where some people were running take offs. Makes sense to do that and save money.
And yes, a tank per session. 16 gallon tank and according to the car I’m getting less than three miles per gallon. The fact is I fill up and the car is always telling me I’m about to run out of gas. Full tank=50 miles to empty according to computer.

I run 315 705 19s takeoffs on the 350. I get better life out of the takeoffs than the cup2s. At $600 a set it’s an easy call.

let me know next time you’re at autobahn bcuz my 315 705 19’s look way too tall. Are you putting them on the apex’s?

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
16 gallon tank and according to the car I’m getting less than three miles per gallon.
My e85 mileage was is in the high 3's on some power tracks, but all hail the new King!

So uh, what address should I ship my MPG crown to?

TMO Supporting Vendors