The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Pretty cool cooling mod

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
DigiCowboy said:
Cloud9- when you get bored you can start drilllin out the lower set of lamp knockouts too ;D

Those are for brake ducts

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
You COULD put fog lights in the lower holes, that's what they're used for on the GT/CS. But for the Boss, with the intent to track the car, they are for brake ducts, IMO!

I just ordered a new grille from my Ford dealership. It was only $50! I will cut that one up and leave the one that came on the car alone. When you look at the grille you will also notice some other stuff that can be cut out. For starters I am not going to go crazy. Just create the honeycomb look by drilling and cutting out some of the few places that have plastic going vertically. I haven't looked to see what is behind the front bumper in front of the radiator or any sort of passaging. I may end up running some ducting to something like the factory oil cooler. I will keep you all posted... Thanks cloud9 for the excellent idea!

adam81 said:
I just ordered a new grille from my Ford dealership. It was only $50! I will cut that one up and leave the one that came on the car alone. When you look at the grille you will also notice some other stuff that can be cut out.

At that price, 99.9% chance you're getting a regular GT grille. Less cutting needed since the fogs will be open!

I may go ahead with this even if I have no cooling problems yet. I was thinking to pull the grille and cut out the back of the vertical lines on the side of the running horse and above. Have you been thinking of doing that also, looks like a lot of area that can be opened?

PTRocks said:
adam81 said:
I just ordered a new grille from my Ford dealership. It was only $50! I will cut that one up and leave the one that came on the car alone. When you look at the grille you will also notice some other stuff that can be cut out.

At that price, 99.9% chance you're getting a regular GT grille. Less cutting needed since the fogs will be open!

I don't think so. They ran my VIN first in their system. So everything showing on the parts diagram should be to the Boss 302. But I will let you know...

2012YellowBoss said:
I may go ahead with this even if I have no cooling problems yet. I was thinking to pull the grille and cut out the back of the vertical lines on the side of the running horse and above. Have you been thinking of doing that also, looks like a lot of area that can be opened?

This is exactly what I am thinking as well. The area near the horse and the far sides as well as the honeycomb fog lights.

2012YellowBoss said:
Yea I'm not sure. I looked at those areas, but the reason I didn't mess with it yet is:

1) The air coming in around the horse is hitting the hood latch, not the radiator
2) The area off to the edges of the grille is outside the fogs and does not hit the radiator. I think I'm going to see if I can tell how much opening up the fogs has done to help before cutting away anymore.

cloud9 said:
I think I'm going to see if I can tell how much opening up the fogs has done to help before cutting away anymore.

That is a really good idea but with the problems some of you are having I would think any airflow at or near it will help. You have to figure, even if they say a race car for the street, they are still building these to ship to Alaska and Florida. I think there is a trade off in there somewhere.

I am thinking if additional cooling is necessary, a higher capacity more efficient radiator is the next step. Forecast for BIR a week from this Friday is 81F which won't be any concern at all for cooling.

roketman said:
Gary,
Nice job on the drilling! Great idea!
As long as your wife wasn’t jealous of all that drilling!
You get your car yet roketman?? It's time you get it out and thrash it. It's not going to get much love competing with the GTR and GT though. Looks like your wife has more competition than mine ;D

adam81 said:
PTRocks said:
adam81 said:

I don't think so. They ran my VIN first in their system. So everything showing on the parts diagram should be to the Boss 302. But I will let you know...

If you get the Boss grille for 50$, I'm in...

PTRocks said:
adam81 said:
PTRocks said:
adam81 said:

I thought I was quoted around $300 from my dealer, but that was a few months ago so I don't remember for sure.

cloud9 said:
PTRocks said:
adam81 said:
PTRocks said:
adam81 said:

I thought I was quoted around $300 from my dealer, but that was a few months ago so I don't remember for sure.

I just talked with my Ford buddy.... he pulled up the BOM on the boss compared to the GT. It looks like the GT has a two piece grill (toatalling ~$200 for both pieces)and the boss one piece is $374. Per the picture, it appears as though you can put the GT 2 piece in the boss.... IMO I like the drilled out look!

I ordered the piece and it is supposed to come in on Friday. I will let you all know. The parts diagram on the parts guys computer at the dealership distinctly showed the grill as two pieces. The red trim is one piece and the black piece we all want to cut up is the second. Pop your hood and take a look at it yourself. Jiggle and move it around and look at the plastic screws that attach it all together. Two pieces.....$50......

(I hope I don't eat my words here as I am away on business and couldn't double check before posting)

Adam, I don't even have my vehicle yet! I only have a blown up diagram of the assembly :) per what I see the boss can only be ordered as one piece..... believe me, I hope your right! If it is $50, I am IN! Can't wait to see what shows up.

If I was going to replace the grill I'd buy the GT grill surround and the Roush billet grill. It should pass more air the the Boss grill.

TMO Supporting Vendors