The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Pretty cool cooling mod

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GA
brucegre said:
I've had my Boss for about 6 weeks, and I have unlimited access to a race track so I get lots of time to test it. The cooling problem is very real, and a real fun killer. If I run at about 3/4 throttle and shift at 6500, the car will run forever. If I go full throttle, the car doesn't really make any more power and it overheats in a couple of laps. If I go full throttle and redline, it really doesn't pull well to 7500 and it overheats very quickly. It has thrown a lot of misfire codes and gone into limp mode a number of times. It wasn't that hot yesterday, low 80's and I still had the problem.

I'm meeting with some race engineers tomorrow to talk about it, I have a Roush grill ready to install, and if needed I'll install the rad and oil cooler, but with all the testing and hoopla Ford did, I have to admit I'm a little disappointed. I traded in a 2011 5.0 on this car, the new car's track manners are SO much better, Ford really got it right, but I've been disappointed in the engine so far because I never had a problem with the Coyote and it pulled like a freight train. If I find a good solution I'll post it.

Glad to hear you haven't had the cooling issues with the regular 5.0. I have been thinking of getting one and adding the Ford Racing Power and Adjustable Suspension packs (it is supposed to be the same suspension package as the GT500 SVT performance package). Unless 0% financing comes around on the Boss I doubt one will be in my future right now.

OLOABoss

AKA OLOABoss
Something you all might try and it's free, remove the hood nag go out for a track session. It may be an issue of not getting the air out from under the hood which would limit flow over the radiator. I have a friend who did a K24 swap into an 89 CRX and he had climbing heat issues after several laps even with an oversize radiator. He pulled the hood off for 1session and it ran cool as cucumber. Here's hoping you Pioner's tracking the Boss solve the heating issue before mine arrives, I am counting on you.

Peter

ChuckP said:
I took my Boss to Summit Point for its first day on the track yesterday. Pegged temp gauge several times and while it was a pretty warm day (about 89) I've run other cars on the track (BMW, Porsche, Subaru WRX, Corvette) in much hotter weather with no overheating problems. It's a real bummer since the car is a blast to drive until it heats up. I learned by short shifting I could run more laps before I had to let it cool down (by driving one easy lap). Ford grossly screwed up on this and I'm not happy about it since the Boss 302 is supposed to be a track capable car. What good is a "Trackey' (whenever that gets here) if it's only good for 3 laps?

I'm planning to install a Roush grill and put my unmolested factory grill in storage. If that does not do it I may have to look into a 302S radiator or just sell the car and go back to a car that won't overheat on the track! I really love my Boss 302 but this overheating thing is inexcuseable (assuming my Chinese transmission holds up)! What I have now is a fun weekend cruiser that gets lot of attention and compliments and is next to useless on a racetrack (at least in the summer).

I'll be posting a report of (with pics) of all the prep work I did on the car for my first track event. I had NO problems (brakes, tranny, etc.) other than overheating. Everything else was great and I surprised a couple of M3 and Cayman S drivers!
Chuck sorry to hear you had overheating issues. Did you throw any P030x codes or get limp mode? I'll be testing the my new 302S radiator this Thursday along with opening up the grille even further. I'm hopeful it will improve the cooling significantly. If not, I'll be looking at an air-to-oil cooler. You're right it's a great track car, but we have to solve this cooling issue. I'll update after my track event Thursday.

I talked to someone else this week that had issues throwing both P0300 and P0306 on their first track day. He went into limp mode once. This is a tuning issue that needs an immediate solution. I'm told that Trackey solves this problem, but we won't know that for sure until we get it in our hands. If all the track testing was done with TracKey, it's understandable this wasn't discovered during testing. I also wonder about the progressive fan settings baked into the tune. Is it possible that the fan needs to be commanded to come on earlier and stay on later? Is this one of the 600 parameters adjusted in TracKey?

302BOB said:
I hope you're right about Trackey Solving the overheating issues, but I have my doubts, Trackey will enhance the acceleration & de-acceleration of the engine, making heating/cooling more of an issue.
That would be my thought as well. However, since Ford didn't encounter this overheating issue during development testing, I am just hoping this is part of the reason. I guess we'll know more in early September.

Talked to adam81 who was running yesterday down in Georgia. He said it was 90* and he was running the car to the limits and never overheated. Thought ECT was in the 240-245 range most of the day, but never went into limp mode. I'm sure he'll be on to post more later, but this was interesting to me. He's basically at sea level so it would appear that elevation may have something to do with the cooling issue. I am assuming ChuckP wasn't at significant elevation though, so it's not a complete explanation. Talked to someone in Denver yesterday that was still running fairly hot, but at 5500 ft above sea level.

I'm still holding out hope that the changes I've made will be enough. I'll be running at 1650 ft above sea level. Will post up results after Thursday.

Just did my 4th track day today at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scandinavian_Raceway. I have not been experiencing any overheat issues at all although the longest runs I have done is 25min and then mixing up a few fast laps with a "slow" cooling lap every once in a while. Ambient temperature today appr. 22C. All tracks I have visited have been close to sea level.

#299 said:
Just did my 4th track day today at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scandinavian_Raceway. I have not been experiencing any overheat issues at all although the longest runs I have done is 25min and then mixing up a few fast laps with a "slow" cooling lap every once in a while. Ambient temperature today appr. 22C. All tracks I have visited have been close to sea level.
If my conversion is correct, that's roughly 71F. No one is having issues at that temp as far as I know. Most issues occur at 90+F or 32+C. You are lucky you live so far North :)

Gary,

No codes or "limp" mode experienced. I really didn't want to risk cooking anything so I backed off as soon as I saw temp hit the end of the "normal" range and before it was way in the red. Simply keeping RPMs below 6000 seems to cool it right down quite quickly. It is an amazing track machine (live axle and all)...hope there's an easy fix for the overheating. One other problem I had was not the car's fault. A damaged air hose chuck at the track bent the pin on the LF wheel valve stem. I now have to fiddle with it with a small screwdriver in order to get air into the tire. Not a big deal except it's a $$$ TPMS sensor! I'm hoping I can maybe straighten it out with a very fine needle nose pliers. Otherwise I'm in for a new TPMS sensor, tire off, back on, rebalance and reinitialize the TPMS. Very annoying!

Not a big deal except it's a $$$ TPMS sensor!

Don't worry too much. The TPMS sensors are 2-piece and you can buy the valve stem portion for about $5. (4 TPMS metal valve stems for $20 from Tire Rack.)

If rubber is OK (probably what you have), let me know as I have extra ones here and I can just send you one. Email me a kpond AT sbcglobal DOT net

nota4re said:
Not a big deal except it's a $$$ TPMS sensor!

Don't worry too much. The TPMS sensors are 2-piece and you can buy the valve stem portion for about $5. (4 TPMS metal valve stems for $20 from Tire Rack.)

If rubber is OK (probably what you have), let me know as I have extra ones here and I can just send you one. Email me a kpond AT sbcglobal DOT net
Hi Kendall, welcome and glad to see you here. Be sure to post your results here later in the week.

Glad to know I can just replace the valve stem! BTW: it's metal. As for the elevation at Summit Point: It's only about 300 feet above sea level.

Does anybody have any pictures of the front of their boss with the bumper cover and grill removed? Does Ford do anything special to trap the air in front of the radiator on the Boss? They don't on the 2010/11 GT or GT500 it's no wonder they run hot.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
I don't have any pictures with me, but the front is boxed in. Panels on the right and left of the cooling box, gaskets between the AC condenser and the radiator. Lower is covered by the under tray with a gasket at the radiator.

It's pretty well sealed up.

Biggest issue is airflow. The fake upper fog lights are solid, and that blocks at least 1/2 the available airflow. Removing those completely really opens up the front grill (and I have done so).

908ssp said:
Does anybody have any pictures of the front of their boss with the bumper cover and grill removed? Does Ford do anything special to trap the air in front of the radiator on the Boss? They don't on the 2010/11 GT or GT500 it's no wonder they run hot.
I'm not sure how to post pics here , but here's a lnk of my car with the grill and bumper removed. It's about the 4th 1 down
http://forums.themustangsource.com/f813/boss-302j-work-progress-497601/

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel