The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Pretty cool cooling mod

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well after having to get camber plates (thanks Gary :mad:) after my day at Sebring and having to order brake ducts (thanks Gary :mad:) after Homestead, now someone un-named person here is causing me to cut up a beautiful OEM grille (thanks Gary :mad:). So, after giving in, I popped the grille out to not only drill the lights out but also cut the bars on top.

CIMG1992.jpg
CIMG1993.jpg

However after looking at it I decided that the best route to go down (especially with the yellow blaze paint) was to get another grille and save this one. I ordered one from partscheap.com for $270 plus 17 shipping (thanks Gary :mad:) I will paint the grille surround in a flat black. I found out the V6 pony is the same as the Boss with different adhesive so I am going to get that for the butchered grill (thanks Gary :mad:) it was less then half the price of the Boss pony.

Looks like I will be pulling the country out of recession single-handed, the UPS guy even knows my Boss's VIN by heart.

Now I wonder what this un-named person has planned for his next post, a roll bar, new hood, slicks or maybe an enclosed trailer - guess I will stay tuned.

Should have some pics next week on my latest adventure.

Scott,

FYI - Opening up the center bars will make the hood latch more accessible to anyone interested in having an unauthorized look-see under the hood.

Would opening up the sides help any?

PTRocks said:
Scott,

FYI - Opening up the center bars will make the hood latch more accessible to anyone interested in having an unauthorized look-see under the hood.

I never use the Boss in a way I leave it unattended so for now that is not a big concern but you would need very thin fingers to get in there as I see it?

5 DOT 0 said:
Would opening up the sides help any?

I plan to open them also on the new grille, even if I have not hit the 250 it is creeping up fast and every little bit will help.

There is air escaping through the latch and off both sides at the very least. Air takes the path of least resistance. It does not follow a straight line.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Nota4re on TMS posted some fresh data today saying that the stock cooling system will be more than adequate by simply removing the stock grille altogether! Problem solved.

I will be verifying this in about a week or so. I will be flushing my coolant system and replacing with 25% coolant, 75% distilled water + 1 bottle Water Wetter as well.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
ArizonaGT said:
Nota4re on TMS posted some fresh data today saying that the stock cooling system will be more than adequate by simply removing the stock grille altogether! Problem solved.

[office space] yeah... I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you on that [/office space]

;)

JScheier said:
ArizonaGT said:

[office space] yeah... I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you on that [/office space]

;)
For most of us if we are having overheating troubles that's the first thing I'd try. Id try a Roush grill and GT surround before chopping up the Boss grill. Also adding the 302S hood should help plus it will improve downforce.

Here's the thread. See post #65.

http://forums.themustangsource.com/f813/track-temps-cool-tech-llc-update-498788/index4/

Nota4re has done some great work here. He has posted some very interesting (and surprising) data.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
I've read the post... and have been following the oil cooler development. I like what they are doing. However...

Lets just say that I (as a non-professional driver) have run with 1) stock grill 2) stock grill with 198 holes drilled 3) 302S style grill and 4) without any grill and still have encountered overheating issues. I've also got a MGT radiator (302S) installed. My elevation is higher than where they were (noted for comparison sake). I plan on going to Hastings on Sept 24-25 and will pull the grill entirely if I run into issues at lower elevations so I have additional data points.

I'm not saying that removing the grill didn't resolve 'his' issues... but I really don't think it is the be-all-end-all solution in all cases. Airflow is a component of the solution, as is increased water and oil cooling capacity.

I am really surprised that his oil cooler didn't work though. Wondering if it was undersized lines or cooler selection <or> possibly airflow. I do want that to succeed as I see an oil cooler in my very near future. He didn't post a lot of info on their setup (rightfully so), but there have seen threads were moving to a -10 to a -12 line increased oil flow. I've seen where replacing 90* connectors with 45* connectors has increased flow as well. Sure hope they keep working on this!

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I think Grille delete/replacement, MGT radiator, and 302S hood should keep things pretty well in-check, if anything.

If you're going to go endurance racing, get the air-to-oil setup

I do not know Kendall but from I have read and heard of his he work he certainly seems to know what he is doing. That said he is not the only one that has made the comment of removing the grille. I was thinking about it after hearing it recommended by someone else that knows but decided against it for two reasons.

One I still want the car to look nice, second I do not want a piece of concrete or rubber to damage the condenser. I know it can happen with the grille but why increase the chance. I looked at other grilles but decided on getting a Boss grille partly for the the reasons mentioned.

I will open the lights completely with some kine kind of mesh in it's place and open all of the blocked off parts. I think it is a good experiment for $270 and I think it will help without destroying the original painted grille. If it does not work I will just follow the lead of Ford racing, Kendall, Gary and others on this but I am sure after modifying the grille the other fixes will not come as cheap.

Good thing is I have not hit the 250 yet and winter is coming so I have time to figure it all out. (and I only need to make it 30 min)

5 DOT 0 said:
As Drew and I have been discussing on TMS I think the Roush, Saleen, Ford or other bar type grill will provide more and a cleaner air flow then the modified Boss grille. That's the direction I'll go if I need more cooling.

I thought about that and that most likely is true but I wanted the Boss to still look like a Boss as much as possibile, that is the reason I went this way. I have a friend here that modified a different grille for his car but could not picture it on mine. Also some other grilles require modifications which is something I do not want to do. This is a pop in or out mod and in a few minutes I can have the original back in for whatever reason.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
I keep going back to the 302S cars. What are the differences:

1. MGT radiator
2. 302S Grill (cutout fogs with wire)
3. air/oil cooler

They aren't having issues.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel