The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Prevent stripped calipers - bleeder inserts

06mach1 said:
I believe Sean has installed these. I have installed mine and bled the brakes, I just have not driven the vehicle yet. Now when I installed mine, I used a very small amount of Locktite 567 pst on the threads. Not so much for sealing, but removal of the insert if ever needed. Aluminum and steel do not play nice together. You could also use never-seize too. Also, you should probably buy a good 6-point 1/4" wrench if you do not have one.

what if I do not use any loctite?
 

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
547
30
CT
Ordered a set today after having weeping at Limerock last Monday. Hopefully these will help my continued weeping brake issue
 
DMichaels said:
Ordered a set today after having weeping at Limerock last Monday. Hopefully these will help my continued weeping brake issue

My nightmare for the last 4 track days of 2014 season.

I am still hesitant to use any loctite.
 
I installed these today.
Placed a bit of anti-seize on the insert and tightened it with a box wrench. Didn't know the torque specs, so I went "pretty snug" by hand, since I probably will never remove the inserts again.

Now I need to find rubber caps for the 1/4" bleeder screws. If anyone has located any, please post it!
 

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
547
30
CT
I think mine will arrive before he weekend to support my track day this coming Sunday. Hope to have some feedback (positive feedback...) soon...
Now if only my HANS anchors would show up...
 
I just finished a complete brake job (rotors, pads, fluid and the inserts)

Everything went smooth except the absolute nightmare, compressing the rear brake piston, for both of them it took me more than 90 min.

I torqued the inserts to 159 inch-Ib (the stock screws torque)

I also used the brembo rubber caps without any problem.


Will do bedding tonight.

Any recommendations for bedding on highways? I have carbotech XP12 and XP10. I just do not feel comfortable bedding them on public roads.
 

drano38

Wayne
1,130
318
Bedding--take a trip to Mexico :) Rural South Dakota roads work great, and the entire town I live in is 2 blocks from rural. I couldn't get Carbotech fronts bedded to prevent pad transfer, and moved on to PFC 01 and 08. Rear XP8 work great on track and street though.

Rear piston - do you have a kit like this? Its the only way to maintain your sanity. Turns the piston in easily. http://www.amazon.com/Neiko-20733A-Brake-Caliper-12-Piece/dp/B000IB40L6/ref=sr_1_2/176-8066834-3151058?ie=UTF8&qid=1429152295&sr=8-2&keywords=rear+brake+caliper+tool

13Boss said:
I just finished a complete brake job (rotors, pads, fluid and the inserts)

Everything went smooth except the absolute nightmare, compressing the rear brake piston, for both of them it took me more than 90 min.

I torqued the inserts to 159 inch-Ib (the stock screws torque)

I also used the brembo rubber caps without any problem.

Will do bedding tonight.

Any recommendations for bedding on highways? I have carbotech XP12 and XP10. I just do not feel comfortable bedding them on public roads.
 
147
60
Any recommendations on a good 1/4" 6-point wrench?

Snapon only has it in a really short stubby, and I don't come in contact with any MAC reps.

Your suggestions appreciated, as I think a 6-point is really going to be much better than a 12-point.

BTW- Speed Bleeders have some really nice 1/4-28 screws in SS.
 

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
6,973
4,293
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Illinois
DocB said:
Any recommendations on a good 1/4" 6-point wrench?

Snapon only has it in a really short stubby, and I don't come in contact with any MAC reps.

Your suggestions appreciated, as I think a 6-point is really going to be much better than a 12-point.

BTW- Speed Bleeders have some really nice 1/4-28 screws in SS.

Doc

I always break the bleeders loose with a 6-point socket and tighten with same when finished.
 

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
547
30
CT
Installed my inserts and new bleeders and played with the brakes a bit. Zero weeping so far. Big test will be the track day on April 30. The parts look to be of good quality and fitment so I have some hope that the issue will be gone now
 
DMichaels said:
Installed my inserts and new bleeders and played with the brakes a bit. Zero weeping so far. Big test will be the track day on April 30. The parts look to be of good quality and fitment so I have some hope that the issue will be gone now

how far did you tighten the bleeder screws? wristometer torque?
 

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
547
30
CT
13Boss said:
how far did you tighten the bleeder screws? wristometer torque?

Inserts i did 150 in-lbs

Bleeders i did to ~50 in-lbs

I have a 1/4" torque wrench that I used to tighten. Note that I used thread sealant so the torque values might actually be a little too high considering lubricated bleeders and inserts. I would suggest dry torque to 50-55 in-lbs, and "wet/lubed" torque a little lower based on how mine felt.
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Top