The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Prevent stripped calipers - bleeder inserts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I just ordered 2 sets too. I had a dreadful experience at the track last year when my bleeder screw leaked and I brilliantly :p tried to further tighten it up while it is hot and then game over.

I had to tow the car back home almost 3 hrs, not fun.

thank you OP.

What is the torque spec for the bleeder screws with the inserts?

13Boss said:
I just ordered 2 sets too. I had a dreadful experience at the track last year when my bleeder screw leaked and I brilliantly :p tried to further tighten it up while it is hot and then game over.

I had to tow the car back home almost 3 hrs, not fun.

thank you OP.

What is the torque spec for the bleeder screws with the inserts?

I did the same thing at the track...
I wasn't able to find torque specs when I did mine.. The male bleeders and the female insert are both steel with good threads so you can won't have to worry about over tightening them.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
WinterSucks said:
If you do strip the caliper is it not a good idea to repair with a helicoil?

With standard hand tools, installing a heli-coil and having the hole you drilled line up with the seat for the bleeder would be difficult.

Could a making shop locate the hole an install a helical? Possible.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
^Nope. The inserts are the same OD/thread as the stock Brembo bleeders.

KBBOSS1086 said:
Those are the ones. .I got mine from EBay though...Pegasus charges like $15 to ship them plus $10.99 for the parts. They are less than $6 all in on EBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Performance-Friction-900-900-104-01-PFC-Brake-Bleeder-Screw-Kit-4-pcs-/281620139110?hash=item4191de4c66

Perfect, and thanks! Ordered a set.

superhero said:
No helicoils are not the best....
Paging Phoenix Racing>>>Please pick up!

I think Rob would recommend Timeserts.

13Boss said:
Can I use the stock bleeder screws with the inserts?
Will this defeat the purpose of the inserts?

The stock M10 bleeder screws will not work with the inserts. You will need 1/4-28 bleeder screws and I believe they are long versions. I should have mine in a day or two.

drano38

Wayne
Anyone had issues with stripped threads if you tightened them with a torque wrench?
I've used one ever since the first few bleeds. I do know I was over-tightening them before the torque wrench.

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
Interesting thread. I dealt with weeping calipers all last season and have been considering buying a new set... If these seem to cure the weeping I might have to give them a try!

I believe Sean has installed these. I have installed mine and bled the brakes, I just have not driven the vehicle yet. Now when I installed mine, I used a very small amount of Locktite 567 pst on the threads. Not so much for sealing, but removal of the insert if ever needed. Aluminum and steel do not play nice together. You could also use never-seize too. Also, you should probably buy a good 6-point 1/4" wrench if you do not have one.

TMO Supporting Vendors