The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Prevent stripped calipers - bleeder inserts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I used the wristometer technique.

I tightened them, then gave them a little tug... a little more tug on the insert than the bleeder ::)
also used anti-seize on the insert. I noticed my stock insert threads were starting to rust inside the caliper.

No sealant was used.

Insert torqued to 159 inch-Ib
Bleeder screws just as tight as I felt it is "enough"

I believe I have a natural tendency to overtorque things thinking that is more secure, but more than likely end up ruining them.

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
Forgot to update the other day after my track outing...

Went to Limerock for a day with the bleeder inserts and new bleeders installed. In short, they worked perfectly. Zero weeping all day and I had zero air bubbles at the end of the day in the front calipers, which was a first for me. I drove fairly hard all day and FINALLY enjoyed a nice pedal feel all day.

So these absolutely worked for me the first time out. Headed to another track day this Friday, so hoping to have good luck again!

DMichaels said:
Forgot to update the other day after my track outing...

Went to Limerock for a day with the bleeder inserts and new bleeders installed. In short, they worked perfectly. Zero weeping all day and I had zero air bubbles at the end of the day in the front calipers, which was a first for me. I drove fairly hard all day and FINALLY enjoyed a nice pedal feel all day.

So these absolutely worked for me the first time out. Headed to another track day this Friday, so hoping to have good luck again!
Glad it worked great for you. In my case, it worked, but the passenger side experienced minor weeping without significant drop in fluid level. Overall, better than the stock screw bleeders in term of leak.

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
Have not tried a speed bleeder... I bought a one way valve from amazon and use that with my brake fluid catch can now. Much better in my opinion

BTW - I've had something like 5 or 6 track days with these things now and not a single issue. Completely cured the weeping that plagued me all last season!

That in-line check valve idea is great... could save me +$60 on the motive bleeder.
Got any links to the one you purchased? I may also need to get some hose adapters, since the front inserts are 1/4" now.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Both Russell and Dorman listed bleeders with 1/4 - 28 threads.

Russell 639540 Speed Bleeder

Dorman Help! 12703 Speed Bleeder 1/4-28X1.00

I found both on Amazon.

I ordered the Russell bleeders. I will not be home for a few month so I cannot confirm fit.

Just wanted to update this thread.

One of my bleeder screws sheered off today, while trying to loosen it during a bleed.
For now, I took the insert out and re-used one of the stock bleeders.

It probably sheered because I most likely had over torqued the bleeder during the last bleed.

TMO Supporting Vendors