The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Preventitive maintenace - TOB/Slave Cylinder?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apparently my slave cylinder blew out this week driving to work in some light stop & go traffic on the freeway. Limped the car to work and towed it to the dealership. There was no prior symptom, sounds, etc to give any warning that it was ready to go out. Stock clutch/TOB had 75K miles and about 10 HPDE days in the last 5 years.

Does anyone replace these proactively - Like every XX-thousand miles or XX number of HPDE days or XX number of years? Or is it more of a cross your fingers and hope it works, kinda thing?

BTW, getting a McLeod RXT, slave\TOB and SS line.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Basically if you have more than 1 season of use on it, and the trans has to come out of the car for some reason, replace it. If not, wait until fail or some reason to take the trans out.

I have not had a failure but have replaced mine twice preventively since taking delivery of the car in 2011.

ArizonaBOSS said:
Basically if you have more than 1 season of use on it, and the trans has to come out of the car for some reason, replace it. If not, wait until fail or some reason to take the trans out.

I have not had a failure but have replaced mine twice preventively since taking delivery of the car in 2011.

An interesting side note: I was speaking with McLeod at SEMA this month and they are offering a TOB for S197 cars. I asked them if it was a heavy duty unit and they were pretty honest in stating that the stock bearing is pretty good; they just want to offer it in the hopes that customers will be motivated to replace it as part of a clutch upgrade/replacement. It was surprising to hear how many customers will lay out thousands for a clutch and flywheel and then re-use the TOB. This practice is common even though it's a "Step over a Dollar to pick up a dime" mentality.

I think the practice of replacing the TOB what ever the reason for dropping the trans a super smart and ultimately cost effective practice in the long run.

This is what your TOB looks like when it's having a bad day...
20161128_213538000_iOS_zpsc8rlbnaf.jpg

This is what what your clutch looks like when it's having a good day...
20161129_211037000_iOS_zpsz67ie0pw.jpg

We'll see how she drives tomorrow...

I can't tell, but did you also get the McLeod flywheel with the RXT?
If that's the stock flywheel, you may run into binding issues as the clutch wears in.

Stock flywheel (resurfaced) with RXT.

Apparently you have to use a stock flywheel with this kit...vendor verified it too.

Important Notes:

2010+ Applications must use FACTORY slave/TOB for their specific year.
Must be used with FACTORY flywheels in 2010-14 GT500. Will NOT work with aftermarket flywheels.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Wow, that T/O Bearing exploded. Did you hear it coming, or was it a sudden failure?

New installed clutch looks good.
2HP

302 Hi Pro said:
Wow, that T/O Bearing exploded. Did you hear it coming, or was it a sudden failure?

New installed clutch looks good.
2HP

Not much warning. Pretty normal HWY driving when I felt something strange in the clutch 'feel' as it started to go out. Then I heard it (loose pebbles sound). Limped it to work (about 15-miles) and had it towed to the dealership.

I wish they made the bell housing clear so I could see the RXT ;D ...The piece is beautiful.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel