The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Private Track Day - Buttonwillow Raceway 4/16/18

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

50Deep

Jockin' GT350's
Sacramento
***SEE PAGE 2 FOR THE 2/26/18 UPDATE***

VUDUGT350 and I have been wanting to setup a private track day for us GT350 and mustang guys for a while. A fun day to enjoy the cars and good people. We chose Buttonwillow due to its cost, location between Nor-Cal and So-Cal, and friendly wall free environment. We have tentatively made some plans as follows:

Date:April 16, 2018
Time: All Day Track Rental 0600-1700
Car limit: 60 car Maximum
Track rental: $5600
Cost per driver: $225 (Everything included)
Deposit per driver: $50 (Goes toward your track day cost)

race_01_config.gif

We chose the date because it is the day after the big Fabulous Fords Forever show, and the day before the Mustang’s birthday. In order to reserve the track we have to put down a NON-REFUNDABLE 2k deposit, which equates to a $50 deposit from those 50 planning to attend. This will also go towards your track cost for the day. We are planning for 4/16/18, and I have confirmed that date is open and available.
There will be several different groups running with 50 cars. We wanted to be sure we can spread out cars on track and not be too crowded. Also to match up skill levels. I plan to invite a couple non-mustang vehicles just for fun. Even if you do not plan to race you are more than welcome to attend and spectate. Let’s get a roll call going. We need people that are serious about attending. Stock or modified it’s all about having a good time and bringing your car back home in one piece.

** Brian from Honest 1 will be sponsoring lunch for the event!!**
https://www.honest-1.com/

Deposits being accepted via PayPal. Please send me a PM with the following
Name:
Paypal Email:
# of vehicles attending:
vehicle type(s):
# of track events you have attended:

Deposits Paid:
1) 50 Deep - GT350R
2) VuduGT350 - GT350R
3) Nick T - 2017 ZL1
4) MurderedS550 - S550
5) ChrisV_S550 - S550
6) Oxford5pointoh - S197
7) Maxjanisch - Cobra R or Ferrari
8) Trmkars - S197
9) Snake662 - GT500
10) Dezertnut - S197
11) Kimjennings413 - S550
12) Calibercustoms - Terminator
13) ivaderi - S550
14) SCRuby - S550
15) Rocketman5.0 -S550
16) Nvrfinished - S550
17) Honeybadger - GT350
18) Dtmaso - GT350R
19) antman450 - S197
20) braco427 - GT350
21) Chris T - GT350
22) Honest Z - ZL1
23) Matt V - GT350 or Golf R
24) Raiderjatt02 - GT350
25) WykdZL1 - ZL1
26) Tomster - Mystery Car
27) Ignition Photo - S550
28) OldBMWFan - E46 M3
29) 65Sohc - GT350
30) Viva Brasil - S550
31) Geepaw - GT350
32) Beat Knox - GT350
33) Khoa - C7Z06
34) Bmarco - GT350
35) Icormba - GT350
36) Icormba - Focus RS
37) Ronda_Roushe - Roush S550
38) Texas Muscle 5.2 - Whipple GT350
39) 5.4 Dreams - GT500
40) Offboost - GT350
41) Byronj - Boss 302
42) S550 Tim - S550
43) Trackaholic - GT350
44) Sublime1996525 - GT350
45) SpursFan - GT350
46) Charnt11 - GT350
47) Surfergeek - S197
48) Famlymn - S550
49) Ghost Driven - GT350
50) OC350R - GT350R
51) Jredondox - GT350R
52) Hegonee5.0 - S550
53) Eye350Re - GT350R
54) HBMMike - S550
55) Dylan J - Mustang
56) Jeff R - Cobra
57) Bsures - S550
58) Ashton S - 65 Cobra
59) ZL1 Addons
60) ZL1 Addons

Last edited:
Sounds like fun but I won’t be able to make this event. Good luck!

50Deep

Jockin' GT350's
Sacramento
Not sure yet. We’ve gotten some strong interest already so I will be calling Buttonwillow tomorrow to get a few more things set in motion. Will take your recommendation for the configuration into consideration though

Should have the PayPal setup for deposits here in the next 2 days

50Deep

Jockin' GT350's
Sacramento
Track day is now full. Feel free to come out to the track to spectate and meet some good people. Very excited about this event and working on getting some vendors out there.

Bay Area
Mine is not much of an S197. It is basically a full race with the exception of having had a chance to get a full cage. using a 6 point for now. Should be so much fun. Have you decided on config? I love 13CW.

I have actually only done CW so I guess Im used to going right. LOL

It will be nice to meet you since Im from Carlsbad but live in SF area now. Maybe you can bring some of my parts and if you need something I can bring it down. Just food for thought.

50Deep

Jockin' GT350's
Sacramento
Ok gents, I have a general plan for the event. A couple of details may change roughly a month before hand, but this will be the nuts and bolts.

The purpose of this event is for us all to get together, have some fun with our cars, build new friendships, and go home without damaging our bodies or property. With safety being of the utmost importance and the number of newer drivers at the event, I am not willing to skimp out on things that may save someone’s life. For the track we will have event insurance, a fire rescue crew, tow truck crew, corner workers, three 25x25 garages with compressed air, and a professional photographer on hand. Comparable track days at Buttonwillow range anywhere from $289 - $330 depending on when you sign up and the organizer. All said and done the event will cost $215 per driver. Your initial deposit of $50 goes toward the total cost of the event, with the remainder of $165 due 30 days before the event is scheduled.

The event will not be timed as Buttonwillow does not provide equipment. Be sure to download your favorite track app on your phone if that is something you are seeking. Additional track insurance can be purchased for your vehicle at your own expense if you choose. EVERYONE needs to have their own personal insurance policy on their vehicle. The three garages we have will be available for the run group going up next if they need to air up tires or perform maintenance checks. There is ample parking around the paddocks, so the garages are not a necessity. Additional garages can be purchased day of if you and some buddies want to go in on one.

My buddy Robert Gluckman (Instagram @ Robgluckman_photography) will be out taking photos. Some of you may be familiar with him from the GT350 Facebook Owners page or Instagram. He is a professional photographer that works for ABC 7 in Southern California. He flies in their helicopter and does aerial photography. Rob is bringing his $12,000 dollar lens and his GT350 to do some damage. He will be providing event photography for all of us, which will include overall photographs of the event and 2-3 professionally edited photos of your car on track. You can contact him directly at [email protected] or on Instagram to discuss him doing additional photographs. I already know I will be.

I have the contract ready to go for Buttonwillow to reserve the day. The initial deposit of $2000 is NON-REFUNDABLE, meaning we will run rain or shine. If you need to cancel your attendance I will refund your initial $50 deposit as soon as we have someone sign up to take your place. Thus far I have more interested parties than space. I am going to send the signed contract and deposit to Buttonwillow on Wednesday, January 3, 2018. That is the date we make this thing official. Buttonwillow requires all vehicles entering the raceway day of will have to pay $10 at the gate.

We will be running the full track in race configuration #1 for this event. It is their largest configuration, and will provide the most amount of space on track for our vehicles. Given the size of the track, and people that got back to me after the holiday we will have a total of 50 cars at the event. There will be several run groups separated by skill level. This should allow everyone ample time on track, the ability to drive without being stuck in traffic, an opportunity to work on your turning skills, and enough straights to have fun without getting into too much trouble. We will have a driver meeting in the morning at 0730 to discuss further details, and I will post all that info closer to the day of. Track time will begin at 0800 and we will go all the way until they kick us out at 1700 hours. We have until 1800 to be out of the facility. Feel free to invite buddies to attend and spectate, show their cars, and shoot the sh*t.

race_01_config.gif

Most of my time will be spent facilitating and coordinating the event, but I will get out there some. If any of you have been to the Ford Performance Racing School I intend to replicate some of their strategies. The most advanced group will start the day off first and get familiar with the track, with the intermediate group after, and beginners last. The new-drivers will also get some instruction on vehicle dynamics while they wait to drive. We have several participants that are instructors, have a substantial amount of track experience, or are experienced at Buttonwillow. I will be tapping into those individuals to conduct a lead/follow with the first-time participants to teach them the braking zones, racing lines, and getting them familiar with the track. After that session I would like an intermediate/advanced driver to ride along with the beginners to give them advice about driving techniques, and track specific tips. After that the beginning group will ride solo. Part of the way we will keep costs down, and keep us all safe is to tap into the experience we already have. Toward the end of the day we will open up the run groups to allow for some fun as people get more comfortable.

I am definitely open to suggestions so please PM me if you have some. For those with higher skill levels I greatly appreciate your willingness to help some the new guys out. Teaching is one of best ways to enhance your own skills and understanding. Keeping drivers and their vehicles on the track will also ensure we do not waste time due to incidents. I anticipate this event being a blast and, will look gauge interest into setting up another in the fall.

Thanks,

I'm no pro, but I run 13 CW in pretty good times (never ran this, but only one turn is different), so I think that i can help others. I would be totally willing to help out drivers. I will add my passenger seat to my car too for those who want to ride along as well. I am super pumped about this since my car is 300 lbs lighter than last time I ran here.

50Deep

Jockin' GT350's
Sacramento
I'm no pro, but I run 13 CW in pretty good times (never ran this, but only one turn is different), so I think that i can help others. I would be totally willing to help out drivers. I will add my passenger seat to my car too for those who want to ride along as well. I am super pumped about this since my car is 300 lbs lighter than last time I ran here.

Much appreciated brother. I will be taking you up on that offer and starting an email group here soon.

In other news it looks like one my sponsors ZL1 Addons may attend and bring a car or two to track. Will report back with details.

TMO Supporting Vendors