The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Pro charger vs Supercharger

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
A Procharger is a centrifugal supercharger, same as a Vortech or Paxton. I assume you're asking about a twin screw(Whipple, Magnuson) vs a centrifugal supercharger. The answer really depends on what you prefer. Do some reading on the differences between the two and how power is delivered and decide what sounds best to you.

For the track the answer is usually neither because of the added heat.

Wolvee

Full Time Nerd
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Historic Triangle
Procharger with an Air to Air because the power is linear and won't surprise you out of turn. It's more predicable and I argue much better with heat control than a TVS or Roots.

racer47

Still winning after 30+ years
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
better for daily driving commuting

Supercharger for sure. The power is always there. Its like driving a big block with big torque/power on the low end except that it keeps pulling to redline. I've had a Kenne Bell for a long time now and its addictive. Yes is makes some heat. Yes its not ideal for road racing. But I've raced it a lot in high speed autoxs and heat isn't a problem there. Now a 30 minute hpde session is a different story. But on the street, with good rear tires, it flies. I'd go with the latest Whipple design. I like the KB but if I did it over again, I'd go with the Whipple. They are more common, parts are cheaper and more available. With a KB, everything comes from KB. I haven't had any issues but I'd rather have more options.

Last edited:
My car is pure pavement princess no track sessions of any kind. Just want some more power to have a little bit more fun and let’s be honest I’m a guy so I really don’t need a reason to spend an absurd amount of money on something.

Wolvee

Full Time Nerd
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Historic Triangle
Most answers you get here will probably be skewed towards Road racing. It's a track focus forum.

Any one of the blowers I mentioned will be great on the street. Vortech/Paxton, Procharger, VMP or Whipple will all be great on the street, track or sidewalk. ..get good tires.

positive displacement blowers are hard to beat, but their Achille's heel is the heat that is generated, to me, the other superchargers you listed are basically belt driven turbos, all the claims about 20 inches of boost, and what not need to be compared to 10 inches off boost.. off idle, so it's an apples to oranges comparison. All that being said the Kenne Bell style will put down more power, sooner, unless you have a turbo and can spin up the turbo at idle, drag racers do that by using NOx to spin it up before launching the car. The KB unit can also be had with internal water cooling packages. But, to me, the Killer Chiller is the most brilliant way to cool the boost on a positive displacement supercharger.

Thanks for the help. Liken I said I’m not a racer but I do want to hand those land yachts with the kitten emblems their asses. I have been researching I like the pro charger kit for my year anybody have some experience with them? I also like whippel anybody got advice on them as well?

Wolvee

Full Time Nerd
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Historic Triangle
I have a Procharger D1x. 15llbs with e85 is more than enough to demolish a hellcat on a dragstip or demolish your ring lands.

My suggestion is a Stage2 P1x or D1x and it easily takes you to 800rwhp on E85. Buy enough blower for your end goals.

A Whipple or VMP TVS will do about the same and you'll get a little extra Torque down low at the stop light where it seems you want it.

These cars are Octane limited so no matter what kit you buy, you'll still be maxed out at around 650rwhp if you want to be safe. EVERY major blower kit on the market will easily get you there. After you get a big boy fuel system (about $2200 with a self install) you'll be able to switch to E85 and max out your shortblock which is about 850rwhp. I know a lot of people who live in the 900rwhp range. But at that point you're doing a voodoo dance to the Car-Gods before every start up.

TMO Supporting Vendors