The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Probably selling my Boss

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If I were to buy a Cayman, it would be used, not new. I have some pretty good connections and could get a better than your average guy deal if I decide to do so. I did drive a Cayman in 2006 at VIR when they first came out. Ti this day it is the ONLY car I ever got out of and said to myself, "I gotta get one of these!".

I have driven damn near everything on track, GT3, 458, Miatas, Vettes, yadda yadda yadda, and it remains the only one to get me to say that. On top of that are the reviews that just gush over how well behaved it is, and it seems like my time to finally get a Porsche is drawing near.

The wife isn't convinced yet, she wants a new kitchen first, so it will be a good while before I do so.

Well, I can understand the feeling of parting with a car you love.

I sold a RoW-spec '96 Porsche 993 C2 Coupe to buy my BOSS. I loved that car and I miss it a lot...there is nothing like the sublime steering of a 911 and the spine tingling sound of that air-cooled flat six at full rip. But I love my BOSS even more, so it's not going anywhere. Maybe one day I'll have the resources to have both, and then some!

33357[/ATTACH]]1919394_140172872865_5346459_n_zps76dafe05.jpg
Floggin' my old 993 at MAM.

33359[/ATTACH]]davesporsh_zps12de83b9.jpg
On the lawn at a local Euro car show.

Attachments

• 1919394_140172872865_5346459_n_zps76dafe05.jpg
    1919394_140172872865_5346459_n_zps76dafe05.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 38
  • davesporsh_zps12de83b9.jpg
    davesporsh_zps12de83b9.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 27
^^^ Very nice car!

UPDATE: I drove a 2011 Cayman S with PDK yesterday. I do not like the PDK system or how the paddles move with the wheel when steering. I prefer the Ferrari flappy paddle system that keeps the paddles in the 9 and 3 positions. Also, the PDK uses 2 gearboxes and two clutches. One is for odd gears (1,3,5,7) the other evens (2,4,6). To me this sounds HUGELY expensive at some point in the car's future when either a clutch (or two) need replacing, or God forbid should there be some other failure in one box or the other. I will be sticking to a regular old fashioned 6 speed manual, and save myself several thousand to boot at purchase time.

My wife is insisting I honor the deal I made to buy her a new kitchen before I buy another car, so my Porsche dreams are on hold until further notice….

LostPony said:
My wife is insisting I honor the deal I made to buy her a new kitchen before I buy another car, so my Porsche dreams are on hold until further notice….

LOL. I had a similar deal, but I did the kitchen first and bought the BOSS the next month. Good deal for me as she is an awesome cook and the kitchen was less than half the car cost. Now I'm working on the 3rd and 4th garage bay "negotiations." That may cost me a screened in porch!

LostPony said:
To me this sounds HUGELY expensive at some point in the car's future when either a clutch (or two) need replacing, or God forbid should there be some other failure in one box or the other. I will be sticking to a regular old fashioned 6 speed manual, and save myself several thousand to boot at purchase time.
If you're already worried about parts on a Porsche being HUGELY expensive you might want to look for a nice used Honda S2000, Acura NSX or something else. Nothing is cheap on Porsche's and they continue to get more expensive each year. Now by comparison Porsche's are inexpensive compared to Ferrari's. ;)

NFSBOSS said:
If you're already worried about parts on a Porsche being HUGELY expensive you might want to look for a nice used Honda S2000, Acura NSX or something else. Nothing is cheap on Porsche's and they continue to get more expensive each year. Now by comparison Porsche's are inexpensive compared to Ferrari's. ;)

I think my quote needs clarifying. I know Porsche will be more expensive to maintain. That isn't my worry. I was merely stating that adding yet another layer of expense by having the PDK system, which costs more than a 6 speed manual, was adding an expense where it wasn't really needed. Having two gearboxes and two clutches in a car that will already be pricey to do just one clutch job, doesn't work for me. I know people that work on Porsches quite a bit. I'm sure I will be able to get my car maintained reasonably cost wise (for a Porsche).

As I have mentioned in other posts, I have had repeated brake issues with my Boss. Because of that, I find it hard to trust the car when approaching a corner. Add to that the weight that to me makes it feel like a Town Car at times as the nose bobs over a crest, and I am just not feeling the Boss vibe anymore. I still love the power and sound, but I want that confidence and agility back.

The only thing that separates you from a better feel is $1k to lower properly on Koni yellows. Or just $600 for the dampers on stock springs. The 1k would be for p springs, relo brackets, and an adjustable upper arm and mount from BMR.

My son bought a Lotus Elise for under $30K. After about $5K in mods (shocks/springs, exhaust, intake), it kicks the Boss's ass on the track. It has a Toyota engine, so that part is cheap, and he has had no issue with the rest of the car. It is certainly a lightweight, non-boring alternative to Porsche, and is extremely easy to work on, becasue you can unbolt the body panels and remove them down to the frame.

However, fat people need not apply. That car is tight.

TMO Supporting Vendors