The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Problem when restrictor plates removed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Does anyone of you have a problem with melting plastic of the rocker panels around the sidepipes when removed the restrictor plates, epecially when driving hard on track?

Thanks for answering!

best regards from germany

Hans

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Hans said:
Does anyone of you have a problem with melting plastic of the rocker panels around the sidepipes when removed the restrictor plates, epecially when driving hard on track?

Thanks for answering!

best regards from germany

Hans

Hans

Yes. The plastic, especially the small tab which sticks down behind the side exhaust does melt.

My solution was to remove the tab, take it to my dealer and exchange on warranty.

They are now in a storage bin with the restrictor plates.

I remember seeing a pic of melted rocker panels as well, in addition to the black air "diverter" thingy.
I removed the black plastic pieces before this weekend's track event, haven't checked the rocker panel yet. Hopefully, they haven't melted too much lol.

I usually remove my plates for track days. I have melted the rocker panels from track use. I posted a photo of it in my exhaust disc for sale thread.

I just bought a pair of rocker covers for $260 including shipping. Someone who owned my car previously managed to slide the car sideways over a curb or something, grinding down the pinch weld in places and hammering the rocker covers. I'm going to straighten and spend some time sanding the pinch welds then weld in some jacking rails then a shot of paint and the new covers. Slowly but surely working my way through the stuff that bugs me about my car. The Mcleod clutch went a long way! :)

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel