The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Professional Awesome Racing splitter diffusers. Worth it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Southern Illinois
@JDMac34 Posted up his new splitter and got me interested in building one finally. Playing around with a design right now. Looking at different splitter ramps I have found Professional Awesome's Large high downforce splitters ramps. Does anyone have input on them? It was between them or the NLR Ramps. The PAR ramps are massive. Main goal is autocross until I can get into road course stuff.

"A front splitter, air dam, spoiler, canards, and vertical members (e.g., fences, endplates) may be added below the top of the bumper (measured at the highest front most point of the bodywork). Components may extend a maximum of 6.0” (152.4 mm) from the front bodywork/fascia as viewed from above. The aerodynamic surface may not extend rearward past the centerline of the front axle."

Seems to be pretty open to me. After I get the splitter done, I'll find a wing to suit it.

Well, when I ordered my splitter ramps from Professional Awesome I got them in 3 days. When I ordered my wing from NLR, it took 4 months (which is not an issue) but ghosting me for 4 weeks and not answering emails was a huge one. I realize splitter ramps and wings are two very different things, but I ordered the PAR ramps out of spite to never willingly order from NLR again.

Since I ordered the splitter ramps at all, you can guess that I think they are needed :) Emphasis on *think* :)

DaveW

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Southern Illinois
Well, when I ordered my splitter ramps from Professional Awesome I got them in 3 days. When I ordered my wing from NLR, it took 4 months (which is not an issue) but ghosting me for 4 weeks and not answering emails was a huge one. I realize splitter ramps and wings are two very different things, but I ordered the PAR ramps out of spite to never willingly order from NLR again.

Since I ordered the splitter ramps at all, you can guess that I think they are needed :) Emphasis on *think* :)

DaveW
Yeah, I remember you telling me about NLR when I was there. When you take the apr setup off, want to sell it?

Last edited:
Utah
I just built my DIY splitter and used the Professional Awesome straight diffusers ($150.00 ones). I chose these because I knew they would fit under my car and I didn't want to spend a bunch of money on something I wasn't sure would work. I think as a package the splitter and diffusers worked really well. This last weekend at the track, where the car was a bit understeering with my old Boss 302 splitter, this new one seemed to balance the car out. Next time out I will be tinkering with the rear wing angle and suspension settings to see where I can optimize the balance. Next winter I may go bigger...

IMG_7421.jpeg

IMG_7420.jpeg

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Southern Illinois
I just built my DIY splitter and used the Professional Awesome straight diffusers ($150.00 ones). I chose these because I knew they would fit under my car and I didn't want to spend a bunch of money on something I wasn't sure would work. I think as a package the splitter and diffusers worked really well. This last weekend at the track, where the car was a bit understeering with my old Boss 302 splitter, this new one seemed to balance the car out. Next time out I will be tinkering with the rear wing angle and suspension settings to see where I can optimize the balance. Next winter I may go bigger...

View attachment 85391

View attachment 85392
Do you have the back half of the splitter solid mounted to the front half? I Originally had planned to make it one piece. But I am currently daily driving the stang, so I was going to go with the PAR quick release mounts. Just throw it on when I am heading to an event.

Utah
Do you have the back half of the splitter solid mounted to the front half? I Originally had planned to make it one piece. But I am currently daily driving the stang, so I was going to go with the PAR quick release mounts. Just throw it on when I am heading to an event.
Yes, mine is solid mounted to the car (no quick release) and the splitter is one piece, just the back part is 1/2 thickness. If I had to do it again (and I am sure I will) I would make it all the same thickness.

I have the BOSS 302 splitter, so my new splitter mounts to the same holes in the bottom of the facia, then I have the two supports out front, and 4 other supports under the facia as well as mounts at the front steering brace and rear bolts from the steering rack. I have included a few pictures of the mounting for reference.

My car is not a daily driver (although I do take it work work prior to track days as a shake down). All the other cars stare and wonder why they don't have numbers and wings...

IMG_7486.jpeg

70123086691__CCEEC7E1-6958-4403-A666-032004307667.jpeg

70076105648__F3061652-3304-4ED2-957A-9EA163DC8F11.jpeg

Ramps will absolutely help. On the S550 GT350's Ford included them on the factory undertray setup so I didn't add any additional when building my spitter, but on an S197, I would absolutely include them if you can.

I'm a little upset ours weren't considered (just kidding). Especially since they were developed on a 2015 Mustang by a former Mercedes F1 Aerodynamicist. I helped @flyhalf with his splitter so I'm sure he can chime in or share some pictures or links to his setup. @Fabman has a bunch of our stuff as well. In the mean time here are some links to blog posts I did years ago (under a different business name at that time) on tunnels if you want to understand how they work better.

Heres our dual tunnel setup on a 2015-2017 mustang splitter.
IMG_4159 (1).JPGIMG_4156.JPG

Last edited:
I'm a little upset ours weren't considered (just kidding). Especially since they were developed on a 2015 Mustang by a former Mercedes F1 Aerodynamicist. I helped @flyhalf with his splitter so I'm sure he can chime in or share some pictures or links to his setup. In the mean time here are some links to blog posts I did years ago (under a different business name at that time) on tunnels if you want to understand how they work better.

View attachment 85836View attachment 85837
That dual kit looks amazing. Inwas looking at your splitter diffusers when building my own but the GT350's coolers blocks the locations I would have wanted to put them and the factory undertray has a similar diffuser anyway. Do you think it would be worthwhile to find a way to remove the GT350 factory diffuser splitter tunnels for yours?

That dual kit looks amazing. Inwas looking at your splitter diffusers when building my own but the GT350's coolers blocks the locations I would have wanted to put them and the factory undertray has a similar diffuser anyway. Do you think it would be worthwhile to find a way to remove the GT350 factory diffuser splitter tunnels for yours?
Yeah, I'm working on something to fix that for the GT350's so our larger tunnels can be fitted like my pictures above. The GT350 undertray isn't bad and our current GT350 splitter offering made good downforce in the wind tunnel, but there is quite a bit of room for improvement if you can fit larger tunnels with a smoother undertray. I'm fairly confident that a new lower bracket on the oil/trans coolers is all thats needed. To many projects on that car at the moment tho so that won't be a thing till later this year.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
@AJ Hartman - would you be able to make a less expensive line of splitter tunnels in fibreglas, or 3D printed? Your CF tunnels are actually cheaper than the 9 Lives CF tunnels, but they have "plastic" tunnels for half the price. Of course, I don't know how pricing is affected by material cost vs recovering your R&D cost. I know you do put a lot of effort into R&D, including your wind tunnel vidoes, and that's much appreciated by everyone.

Yeah, I'm working on something to fix that for the GT350's so our larger tunnels can be fitted like my pictures above. The GT350 undertray isn't bad and our current GT350 splitter offering made good downforce in the wind tunnel, but there is quite a bit of room for improvement if you can fit larger tunnels with a smoother undertray. I'm fairly confident that a new lower bracket on the oil/trans coolers is all thats needed. To many projects on that car at the moment tho so that won't be a thing till later this year.
Agreed there seems to be room for improvement for sure. When building my own diffuser I tried to smooth out the transition from the splitter to the factory tunnels, but could only do so much as it ended up being right where much of my attachment points ended up.

52703198138_88782d4b01_o.jpg

@AJ Hartman - would you be able to make a less expensive line of splitter tunnels in fibreglas, or 3D printed? Your CF tunnels are actually cheaper than the 9 Lives CF tunnels, but they have "plastic" tunnels for half the price. Of course, I don't know how pricing is affected by material cost vs recovering your R&D cost. I know you do put a lot of effort into R&D, including your wind tunnel vidoes, and that's much appreciated by everyone.
Would I be able to? Yes. Will I? No. Without getting into a bunch of reasons, it just wouldn't really makes sense for me to offer a fiberglass option. Its not a large part so material costs won't be a large difference, meanwhile my time to make them would be very similar on something like this. Reason we can offer carbon parts for less than others is cause we make our own parts in house while most others like the one you mentioned, has to sub them out and are basically a middle man that needs to mark them up to make margin, and hence a higher price for a lesser part. And also like you mentioned, the R&D we put into ours with the CFD and wind tunnel stuff, you know what type of performance you can get with ours.

I'm a little upset ours weren't considered (just kidding). Especially since they were developed on a 2015 Mustang by a former Mercedes F1 Aerodynamicist. I helped @flyhalf with his splitter so I'm sure he can chime in or share some pictures or links to his setup. @Fabman has a bunch of our stuff as well. In the mean time here are some links to blog posts I did years ago (under a different business name at that time) on tunnels if you want to understand how they work better.

View attachment 85836View attachment 85837
I wanted to go slighty different with my splitter compare to the one aj showed.
I wanted some extra stiffness so the bigger tunnells couldn't fit around the frame. I also believe having the 2 tunnells not pointing the tire is a great combination especially when working together with AJ side splitter elements (canards, side plates who deviated air flow) and fender louvers by RACELOUVERS ( that increase the air extraction by underneath the splitter. )
I still believe that a good aero is a BALANCED aero. So it really depends what u have in the back. With this amount of downforce I found AJ FULCRUM 14 was the perfect match.
The pro. awesome tunnells are nice and small option to increase slighty the downforce production (they told me about 10-15%)
So if a splitter blade at 3" is about 200lbs of DF at 100mph they might give u 20 30 lbs more.

AJ tunnells are big. But for DF bigger is better.

Hope this help. Alessandro

20220307_163952.jpg

PXL_20230129_225640390~2.jpg

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Southern Illinois
Sorry, I didn't include yours AJ! I hadn't planned on going aero this season but ended up getting the Apr GTC-500 from Dave for a pretty good deal. So I had no budget aside for aero. I was originally looking at a custom splitter for you. But I wanted to see what kind of low buck splitter I could make. I don't know how u missed a lot of these comments. Most were the week I was living at work. Lol.

Sorry, I didn't include yours AJ! I hadn't planned on going aero this season but ended up getting the Apr GTC-500 from Dave for a pretty good deal. So I had no budget aside for aero. I was originally looking at a custom splitter for you. But I wanted to see what kind of low buck splitter I could make. I don't know how u missed a lot of these comments. Most were the week I was living at work. Lol.
If it makes you feel better, when I originally made my tunnels I mounted them to a plywood splitter. Thats whats cool about tunnels, you can add them to just about any splitter blade, no matter the material. Like Flyhalf's splitter above with my tunnels. I believe his main blade is alumalite with slots cut in to add my tunnels to it. So you can always add Df as your budget allows.

If it makes you feel better, when I originally made my tunnels I mounted them to a plywood splitter. Thats whats cool about tunnels, you can add them to just about any splitter blade, no matter the material. Like Flyhalf's splitter above with my tunnels. I believe his main blade is alumalite with slots cut in to add my tunnels to it. So you can always add Df as your budget allows.
Yep. Not only.
they are really sturdy giving way more stiffness than the smaller plastic ones of PRO.AWE.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel