Project "Voodoo Child" 2017 GT350

Discussion in 'Road Racing Forum' started by j3st3r, Jul 22, 2017.

1. VoodooBoss

VoodooBoss Rick Moderator

The SC2's are the same price. The RE-71R is faster than the SC2's? Don't forget to use the TMO Tire Rack link when purchasing tires.

2. j3st3r

j3st3r Brian S.

not even close on price...and I would put the RE-71's up against them any day of the week
    [​IMG]

3. YellowJacketBoss302

YellowJacketBoss302 TMO Race

Hi Brian. I think that is the Porsche version of the sport cup 2. Version for our cars is less.

4. j3st3r

j3st3r Brian S.

I see there is a 98Y version of the tire, but our factory tires are 102Y, so are you guys not running the same specs as our factory tire?

5. APEXRaceParts

APEXRaceParts Race Proven, Street Approved

No doubt the RE-71's are your best bang for the $, and you can drive to an from the track on them no problem.

In regards to the wheels, give me a shout when the time is right :cool:

- Ryan

6. VoodooBoss

Yes wrong tire. These are the factory tires on a GT350R. They are actually cheaper and I bought a set three weeks ago. Still think the SC2's are faster.

@APEXRaceParts I like your new signature. :cool:

Screen Shot 2017-08-17 at 5.19.11 PM.png

7. drano38

drano38 Wayne

Also try the Hankook R-S4. This spring, I called Luke at Tire Rack--Bill P.'s longtime tire expert. Last year, I ran RE-71Rs. Seemed to get greasy fairly soon. Luke immediately said R-S4--best street tire to road course a Mustang in his opinion. This summer, I put them on at noon after running RE-71R in the morning. R-S4 took a couple seconds off my times, and really felt like they stuck better than RE-71R. 305/30ZR19 are $1,290 before shipping.

Grant 302 and j3st3r like this.
  8. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter Gotta go Faster

SC2 is definitely a faster tire.... they get the same times as TD100 semislicks down here.

9. j3st3r

j3st3r Brian S.

Went back out AutoXing yesterday and feel like I learned a lot on how to get the new car around.....almost ready for some adjustments, but for now just enjoying the hell out of it! Won in AS class, 6th in Pax, and 13th in Raw time and REALLY happy with the results. Next weekend is 2 days at NCM Motorsports park, really looking forward to getting a track baseline in the current state.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

.....and the run where I had a passenger and was just a little bit over aggressive.....

cobrarob, Grant 302 and VoodooBoss like this.
  10. Grant 302

Grant 302 OPM Spent: $665,833 Moderator

Nice work, Brian! Congrats on the WIN!

j3st3r likes this.
  11. VoodooBoss

Congratulations! I know nothing about AutoX. What type of cars were in your class?

12. j3st3r

j3st3r Brian S.

2017 M3
    2012 370Z Nissmo
    2017 ZL1

TymeSlayer and VoodooBoss like this.
  13. j3st3r

j3st3r Brian S.

Had an interesting weekend to say the least.....was looking forward to doing some instructing and testing in the new GT350 for 2 days last Saturday and Sunday. They ended up being short on instructors, so I got 2 students, who were both awesome! So that part of the story was good to go......however as far as the track time. 1st session starting very promising, I was able to lay down a 2:19 right out of the gate and was feeling pretty happy. The car was fairly neutral, but it did not take much to induce understeer....which I expected with the stock suspension setup and no alignment done yet. Second session was a different story...part way through the session, under braking the front end shook violently, so I pulled into the pits, thinking suspension, or tire....come to find out the front splitter had dropped in the front and dragged along the track surface. We pulled the Go Pro video to see if I had hit a curb, or debris or something and there was no sign of that. So we looked it all over and noticed there was no damage to the back side of the splitter, or anywhere else underneath the car, also none of the mounting holes were ripped out, or damage....so again ruled out hitting anything. So time to fire up the old Google search, and found several instances of this happening...and as it would have it on day to, there was a white GT350 that came down and said his splitter was starting to fall off as well. Since my weekend was shot, we used the misc hardware from mine and took it down to his to see if we could at least salvage his weekend. What we found out was, that none of the front screws or tinnerman's were even there, or put in. Quick call do the dealer though and they ordered me a splitter and scheduled an appt to get it put on, with no questions asked!

Friend actually captured some pictures of the splitter demise.

These pictures you can actually see the splitter starting to fall off
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and of the splitter finally letting go...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

He also got some other bad ass shots!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tommy J, RED BEAST and The_Dead_Cow like this.
  14. VoodooBoss

Great photos.

15. j3st3r

j3st3r Brian S.

Alright...here we go! So was out of town all last week and had my wife take the GT350 in to get the splitter and under tray replaced. Took the dealer 3 hours to do this....ANYWAY. I got home Friday and started cleaning the car up for 2 days at the track, and decided to give the dealer work a look see......SON OF A BITCH....splitter was still not put on correctly...See pictures below.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So called the dealer and explained what I had found, and that I had pictures, guy tells me the tech was not able to get the front splitter on and that he had to do it and he had taken pictures as well....So the picture he took were of the car on the lift. I send him my pictures and he says....yeah I see what you are seeing, can you bring the car back on Monday......UM no.....I mean NOOOOOO. I tell him I have an event this weekend and I have already missed one event because of this. I told him I would just take it all back off and reinstall it myself, he tells me its pretty difficult but to let him know how it goes and aplogizes. Head to the garage to do my thing......15 minutes later....splitter installed, properly and is good to go for the weekend!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After 2 days on track.....still good to go!!
    [​IMG]

In my opinion this should be given to the owners like the Laguna splitters were on the Boss' and let the owners install them. For those that do install, or reinstall them, I will say one of the really important steps, as shown in the Ford install video is to make sure you get the plastic clips seated into the bumper FULLY. I did exactly what the video showed, which was to use a towel and a dead blow hammer to tap the front splitter into place all the way across the front before putting any fasteners on.

16. j3st3r

j3st3r Brian S.

And now the fun bits....2 days @ NCM instructing and providing some hot laps for a couple organizations....also finally got some external footage!

Instructors all shared a garage....was such a good time!
    [​IMG]

We also had the photographer do a couple cool ass pictures of us doing a fly by in formation!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tommy J, TymeSlayer and VoodooBoss like this.
  17. j3st3r

j3st3r Brian S.

And a couple videos

One of the ride alongs

and some external footage

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    Tommy J, ArizonaBOSS and VoodooBoss like this.
  18. VoodooBoss

Nice video.

19. ArizonaBOSS

ArizonaBOSS Because racecar. Moderator

You got a new lady after that ride along?

j3st3r likes this.
  20. Tommy J

Tommy J TMO Advanced

Damn that was an awesome day for you!

j3st3r likes this.