The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

PSA for rear brake line clearance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
I've been running 325/30/20 nankang crs on the rear of the 500 since last summer - using et43 offset and 11.5" wheels. Had both stock and bmr rear bars , and the rear brake line was either bolted to its normal sway bar bracket, or zip tied to the swaybar if I was making changes.

After switching to steeda's skinny comp. rear bar a few weeks ago, and running sessions over 2-3 days, I saw this on my tire. At first I thought it was upper shock mount rubbing.
52762430633_4f92407eea.jpg
Pulled the wheel and saw it was the brake line rubbing, even though it had clearance. Had already gone through the outer steel braid - yikes!
52761941221_4ee49dc50b.jpg
Will zip tie the replacement line back to the hard line now.
52761945941_37916e478f.jpg
Must have been position change, plus g-force and tire flex, caused the interference. The big tire is a tight fit in the back, but this is the first real rub I've seen.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bay Area
I had the same interference with my J&M steel braided lines in the rear with my 18x11's and 305's, zip tie as you noted did the trick. Good PSA for everyone to check, especially on install.

@Scootsmcgreggor Was it by any chance your rear left? I have the J&M lines too and I also am rubbing. I definitely need new lines as it chewed through the first layer. Do you have any pics of how much slack in the ziptie you put in?

Thanks in advance for ur help :)

IMG_7293.jpg

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
@Scootsmcgreggor Was it by any chance your rear left? I have the J&M lines too and I also am rubbing. I definitely need new lines as it chewed through the first layer. Do you have any pics of how much slack in the ziptie you put in?

View attachment 87565
On mine it was rear left also. I zip tied about a 1" loop to the hard brake line on the chassis. Will get a picture here later.

Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Alum Bank, PA
I bought a Mach 1 from Copart that had this issue…. It was wrecked by the original owner after it rubbed enough to cause the brake line to fail.

Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Alum Bank, PA
I should have noted that it was on the right rear on my car…. So check out both sides. Ive talked to the original owner of my car via Facebook, he says that a tie wrap to gain some additional clearance has cured the issue on his replacement Mach 1.

View attachment 87565
Yep LR. RR was close so sucked it in with a ziptie as well.

On mine it was rear left also. I zip tied about a 1" loop to the hard brake line on the chassis. Will get a picture here later.
Same.

I called J&M at the time and they said never heard of this before, but good to know I'm not taking crazy pills. At the same time, sorry you had this problem too. Good news is that outer sheath is not structural to the line, so they don't need to be replaced.

FYI with any aftermarket lines and or big (wide) wheels. You need to check this stuff through out the suspension travel. Aftermarket lines slide in the bracket that attach to the sway bar. So you can move the line so the slack is in the proper place. If you change ride height or camber from stock the lines need to be adjusted to compensate for this.

If you install a cat back exhaust system you adjust it as you tighten it, otherwise it hits everywhere, brake lines are no different, just way more important.

TMO Supporting Vendors