The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

PSC2 hot pressures

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

In for updates.

PSC2 hot pressures

cloud9 said:
Has anyone experimented with hot pressures on the PSC2s? I know Ford says 28 psi cold, but what is a good hot pressure for our heavy cars?

@Black Boss

I just did a good workout at Sonoma and found that 38.5-39 psi hot led to even tire temps with a good tire temp probe. Oh, and to my surprise I found that the cold to hot rise on a 65 degree day (morning) was about 10.5 psi, which was more than I expected.

Re: PSC2 hot pressures

Moto said:
I just did a good workout at Sonoma and found that 38.5-39 psi hot led to even tire temps with a good tire temp probe. Oh, and to my surprise I found that the cold to hot rise on a 65 degree day (morning) was about 10.5 psi, which was more than I expected.

I've been running 36-38 hot with good results. I have not probed the tires, but am getting more wear on outside edges at front with 2.0* camber after 5.5 hours and 13 cycles, and have switched L/R in an attempt to prolong life. These tires are fast -- amazing for a "street" tire. I have noticed that they are best for the first 10-15 minutes and then go off, but at their best they are very close to Hoosier R7's, the difference is the PSC2's are fastest for the first few laps, whereas the R7's take a lap or 2 to get sticky and are then very consistent....

VoodooBOSS said:
Any suggestions on where to start cold?

When you have to SWAG it, figure the hot pressure will be 8-10 psi higher than whatever it is before you go on track. This is why I try to get all 4 tires roughly the same temp.
So, say....your sitting on the grid and the tires are 22 psi, figure hot they'll be 32ish..depending on how long a run it is and of course the turns on the track, which are all "tuning" and do not necessarily have anything to do with base pressures.

OK, I'll explain, run the tires using the SWAG method, come in, jot down the pressures, then subtract whatever overage you have from the target hot pressures. In a lot of cases that means one side will be hotter than the other because of more turns in one direction. (this would be a "tuning pressure") subtract that pressure as well with the hot overage pressure. once the tires cool overnight, you will have new "cold" starting pressures providing you have no leaks,
Do not... ever, let pressure out of the tire to attain a new "cold" pressure once they have been on the track, work only with "hot" pressures or you will find your tires are woefully underinflated when cold and may come off the wheel.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel