The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

PSS on backorder

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
They are on backorder for probably the next two months for the rear wheels. Since I need tires sooner rather than later, any suggestions for a comparable tire? Thanks.

ufnavy06

Yeah, I looked at both of those and a few local companies. No luck. I can get Eagle F1 for about half the price of what the PSS cost, but I know they aren't nearly as good but are they better than the Pirellis?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
Can you not wait for the PSS's? IMO they are the best all around tire for wet/dry traction, ride quality, and longevity. What size are you looking for and what wheels are they going on?

Check eBay for a lightly used set of rears.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
I run the Ford Racing forged wheels that are 19X9"F and 19X10"R so I stepped up by 1 size 265/40F and 295/35R and went with the BMW M5 spec MPSS and they are just amazing for dry grip. Haven't run the Boss in the rain as yet, but I suspect from what I have read that they will be fine.

20150816_192021_zpsjar66u2k.jpg

OEM sizes were back ordered at the time, but I'm very happy I went with this set of Michelins.

Dave
302 HP

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=7952.0

maybe these are still for sale on the forum?

If not I have heard good things about these and they are a little cheaper:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ExtremeContact+DW&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=835YR9ECDW&tab=Sizes

Good luck on your choice

ufnavy06

Flyboygsxr said:
Can you not wait for the PSS's? IMO they are the best all around tire for wet/dry traction, ride quality, and longevity. What size are you looking for and what wheels are they going on?

With us moving up north at the beginning of the year, slippery roads were an immediate concern with the rears having no tread to speak of. When I go to work, I'd likely be driving it so I couldn't take the chance if they didn't come off backorder.

Rick, as to your suggestion, turns out the front tires were down to 4/32 on the inside, 5/32 mid and 6/32 outside so they were borderline for the same reason as above. But I thought about some aggressive tires for the rears only.

I ended up getting a good deal on some Toyo Proxies1, so slapped them on all four tonight. I'll get the car out tomorrow to get a feel but I could already tell the rear was much more grippy.

I got 500 miles or 45 days to decide if I want to keep them or Toyo will refund 100%.

TMO Supporting Vendors