The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

pulled the trigger on a DSS driveshaft

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ok, so the driveshaft has a smaller diameter and is lighter weight...ok, that makes sense and satisfies both parts of the equation ;D

If math can tell us the probability of finding an electron in orbit...then it can sure as shiznit tell us how a driveshaft frees up horsepower!

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
BlackNDecker said:
Ok, so the driveshaft has a smaller diameter and is lighter weight...ok, that makes sense and satisfies both parts of the equation ;D

If math can tell us the probability of finding an electron in orbit...then it can sure as shiznit tell us how a driveshaft frees up horsepower!
could go with the joe dirt's dad stand by.... "Why is the sky blue? Why is the grass green? How does posi-trak on a Plymouth work?....it just does" lol

Science can't tell us how a bicycle works, so no guarantees on the drive shaft. They disproved centripetal force from the wheels keeping it steady (and centripetal force for that matter).

Justin

lol I am a fire controlman in the navy and in C school the instructors would just say "push the I believe button" for things that were to complicated for some folks to understand.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
All other things being equal, the only math I need to see is this;

Old ET + Old OEM DS > New ET + New AL DS or

New ET + New AL DS < Old ET + Old OEM DS

take your pick :D

Be great if it around 2 tenths as claimed by various manufacturers and vendords.

Justin

ace72ace said:

Be great if it around 2 tenths as claimed by various manufacturers and vendords.
well I did read an article in mmff or was it 5.0 where a guy with his 06 auto swapped driveshafts at the track and did before and after runs and he shaved off 3 tenths and they have the same boat anchor on them

GA
boss2511 said:
lol I am a fire controlman in the navy and in C school the instructors would just say "push the I believe button" for things that were to complicated for some folks to understand.

When I was in Dahlgren in the late 80's it was "PFM". ;) Things were less politically correct then.

ace72ace said:

Unfortunately, with a human behind the wheel...you will always get confounding variables with track times. Delayed reaction time, missed shift, additional seat time, etc. A 0.2-0.3 of a second is within the the average driver's "margin of error."

ace72ace

BlackNDecker said:
ace72ace said:

Unfortunately, with a human behind the wheel...you will always get confounding variables with track times. Delayed reaction time, missed shift, additional seat time, etc. A 0.2-0.3 of a second is within the the average driver's "margin of error."

So what sample size would satisfy the variables in the equation here, 100 runs with the same driver at the same track with all the other mechanicals the same, all averaged out and then compare another 100 runs with only the new aluminum DS upgrade? Just curious.

boss2251 has track slips with his existing setup, and I would be willing to guess that with his new DS his time will improve if the track conditions are similar to his previous runs. Just how much will be very interesting to see.

It will also be interesting to see if you would continue to discount the results as being non-scientific or quantifiable or cite some other factor, or would accept his results? I have zero problem at all with anyone being skeptical of any performance claims. I don't believe you get crap from most CAIs sold by vendor over what you would get with a K&N Filter upgrade, simply because it's the tune and not the fatter pipe giving you the increase.

And at the end of the day, it doesn't matter what any of us believes, boss2251 can have a lower ET's and he can believe the tooth fairy made his car faster, not better performance mods. =D

Justin

well after talking to lethal and dss looks like its going to be 3-4 weeks till they ship my driveshaft....man at this rate drag strips will be closed by the time I get all my parts on that I want.

MGW has me a little worried I emailed them today to ask if there is an update on my order. order number was in the email.....reply was...is this for 11-12 mustang? really you cant look that up via the order number?

boss2511 said:
well after talking to lethal and dss looks like its going to be 3-4 weeks till they ship my driveshaft....man at this rate drag strips will be closed by the time I get all my parts on that I want.

MGW has me a little worried I emailed them today to ask if there is an update on my order. order number was in the email.....reply was...is this for 11-12 mustang? really you cant look that up via the order number?
Yeah Im going through the same thing with MGW and Steeda. I called MGW and asked about an order I placed on March 28th and they asked what did I order. So I said a short shifter for a Mustang. The woman than says well it takes 4-6 weeks and thats all she says. It takes forever to make these short shifters it seems. My axle exchange aluminum shaft from Steeda is taking forever to get here too. It seems like nothing is ready and everything has to be made.

I believe that the mgw shifters will be shipping very soon ;D I hope to get mine in before a stereo system that I have arranged for two weeks from now so I really do not want to take it apart after they are done rather before but as we all know we only have hope mgw did mention they are running a large amount of those shifters so anyone else ordering wont have to wait.

Justin

jeepinocala said:
I believe that the mgw shifters will be shipping very soon ;D I hope to get mine in before a stereo system that I have arranged for two weeks from now so I really do not want to take it apart after they are done rather before but as we all know we only have hope mgw did mention they are running a large amount of those shifters so anyone else ordering wont have to wait.
yeah would be nice to get in say this weekend. but juilie said they will ship end of next week which means I wont see it till week of the 30th

ace72ace

Well since you guys already went off topic with MGW, I'll mention that I plan on putting in my order this Friday. That way I can post "Got my shifter in only a week! The rest of you guys just have bad timing." Then again, you guys already have your cars, mine is still waiting to be built.

I saw the Barton shifter in a box at a shop local, it is going on someone's LS this week. They said they would let me know how it ends up.

Justin

my friend with a 11' gt/cs has that shifter. I will have to ask him how he likes it. at the time MGW didnt have anything out when he ordered it.

Dvendet

Everyone's entitled to my opinion. ;)
boss2511 said:
I just ordered a DSS shaft from lethal. the price jumped from 699 to 719 since two days ago when I looked at it last. I used discount code ALLFORDS to get 6% or something off. Cant wait till it gets here. it will probably get here before the mythical MGW shifter arrives. I think they are done mining for alum ore now and are melting it down to make billet stock. then they have to build a CNC machine by hand. this is the process for each shifter they build they destroy the machine after they build one and start over. lol just kidding but man what takes so long to build a shifter?
Hey Boss2511 - Had you seen their You tube install videos for the shifter? If you did you would realize that maybe this shifter might be too good to go in the Boss. This shifter is so well thought out, well engineered, and built like a battleship. This thing looks like it belongs in a space shuttle or something! You might be frustrated now, but when you take delivery you will know it was worth the wait. Do you plan on installing both the drive shaft and MGW yourself? I would be very interested in knowing how this works out for you as I plan on doing the same thing eventually to my Boss when it comes in.

MMD

TMO Supporting Vendors