The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

pulled the trigger on a DSS driveshaft

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I just ordered a DSS shaft from lethal. the price jumped from 699 to 719 since two days ago when I looked at it last. I used discount code ALLFORDS to get 6% or something off. Cant wait till it gets here. it will probably get here before the mythical MGW shifter arrives. I think they are done mining for alum ore now and are melting it down to make billet stock. then they have to build a CNC machine by hand. this is the process for each shifter they build they destroy the machine after they build one and start over. lol just kidding but man what takes so long to build a shifter?

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
Are you installing the DS yourself or having a shop do the work? Before/after pics? Do you have any track slips so you might be able to compare ET's for before/after results? I too am planning on MGW & alum. shaft. Gonna make sure the instructions for the shifter install are followed to the letter so as to avoid increased NVH reported by some DIY installers.

boss2511 said:
I just ordered a DSS shaft from lethal. the price jumped from 699 to 719 since two days ago when I looked at it last. I used discount code ALLFORDS to get 6% or something off. Cant wait till it gets here. it will probably get here before the mythical MGW shifter arrives. I think they are done mining for alum ore now and are melting it down to make billet stock. then they have to build a CNC machine by hand. this is the process for each shifter they build they destroy the machine after they build one and start over. lol just kidding but man what takes so long to build a shifter?
Yeah I am waiting on the mgw shifter also i guess they are a small shop I was considering offering to make some parts for them if they are having trouble keeping up I also have a machine shop just try to stick to short prototype runs anyway why I posted here is I was thinking of a driveshaft myself figuring maybe a cheaper steel one piece shaft it should still be alot better then the stock two part one.

Justin

ace72ace said:
Are you installing the DS yourself or having a shop do the work? Before/after pics? Do you have any track slips so you might be able to compare ET's for before/after results? I too am planning on MGW & alum. shaft. Gonna make sure the instructions for the shifter install are followed to the letter so as to avoid increased NVH reported by some DIY installers.
yeah I am going to install it myself. and I do have time slips from last month that I ran 1.78 60', 12.27@112

Justin

jeepinocala said:
boss2511 said:
Yeah I am waiting on the mgw shifter also i guess they are a small shop I was considering offering to make some parts for them if they are having trouble keeping up I also have a machine shop just try to stick to short prototype runs anyway why I posted here is I was thinking of a driveshaft myself figuring maybe a cheaper steel one piece shaft it should still be alot better then the stock two part one.
it probably is a little cheaper for a steel one. the alum ones I have read elsewhere are freeing up 16whp and cutting the 1/4 by .21 so I think its money well spent. Just save that extra money and get the alum one. if the carbon fiber one was almost twice the price I would have bought that one.

boss2511 said:
jeepinocala said:
boss2511 said:
it probably is a little cheaper for a steel one. the alum ones I have read elsewhere are freeing up 16whp and cutting the 1/4 by .21 so I think its money well spent. Just save that extra money and get the alum one. if the carbon fiber one was almost twice the price I would have bought that one.
Do you think the major hp gain is from it being aluminum a lighter metal or from it being the point you get rid of a joint that robs power? I think it is mostly gained from getting rid of the joint.

Not to change the subject but here is your answer on the shifter ;D

This is from mgw

we are making the parts now it will be about 2 more weeks.

julie

GRM tested the less rotating mass rumor and basically said it is bogus. I don't know that I trust them any more than the random dude on the street though. Please post results, the numbers you referenced sound kind of like the numbers people claim for axle backs that do nothing IRL. Though if you do the shifter at the same time, better shifting may account for some of the difference.

You should add hoops while you have the shaft out anyways, I know the Shaftmasters first run of shafts had issues but I have not heard anything bad about DSS. Cheap insurance just in case.

jeepinocala said:

This is from mgw

julie
Got another email=
we actually will be shipping NEXT week not 2 weeks so hopefully the guys can be a
little more patient.

Justin

CaliMR said:
GRM tested the less rotating mass rumor and basically said it is bogus. I don't know that I trust them any more than the random dude on the street though. Please post results, the numbers you referenced sound kind of like the numbers people claim for axle backs that do nothing IRL. Though if you do the shifter at the same time, better shifting may account for some of the difference.

You should add hoops while you have the shaft out anyways, I know the Shaftmasters first run of shafts had issues but I have not heard anything bad about DSS. Cheap insurance just in case.
well I can tell you from the past experience on all my previous mustangs. on the 96 cobra it felt like a big of gain as going from 3.27's to 4.30's. in my 06 it made a huge huge difference it was like I installed another CAI and tune kinda power. I felt a difference in the seat of the pants for sure.

As for what causes the "gain" it is rotating weight. Rotational mass makes a huge difference. Good example rev a car with a stock steel flywheel rev the same car with an alum flywheel. the alum flywheel will spin up much much faster. But alum flywheels have there down falls mostly in drag racing cause they dont have the inertia to over come the rest of the car at rest and make the car bog really easy.

After I get it done I will be back to the track after I get some slicks and a new helmet. we will see how it does where it counts on the track

Justin

jeepinocala said:
jeepinocala said:

This is from mgw

julie
Got another email=
we actually will be shipping NEXT week not 2 weeks so hopefully the guys can be a
little more patient.
oh good cause they told me two weeks ago it would be two more weeks

I'm not disagreeing, as I know they feel a lot faster, but did they also provide improved numbers? I know from past experience sometimes things feel faster but aren't backed up by numbers. Like the light flywheels you mentioned, I love a motor that flicks through the rpms but it does not always make the car faster. So once you get it installed, head to the strip so we can get some numbers ;)

Oh and I thought of something earlier, you asked at one point about road course iirc, but you have the free Track Attack so you can try it out for yourself instead of taking your car to a track day.

Justin

CaliMR said:
I'm not disagreeing, as I know they feel a lot faster, but did they also provide improved numbers? I know from past experience sometimes things feel faster but aren't backed up by numbers. Like the light flywheels you mentioned, I love a motor that flicks through the rpms but it does not always make the car faster. So once you get it installed, head to the strip so we can get some numbers ;)

Oh and I thought of something earlier, you asked at one point about road course iirc, but you have the free Track Attack so you can try it out for yourself instead of taking your car to a track day.
for the 06 it shaved off three tenths. cant verify the cobra. and I will get numbers on the boss. I will be looking to see 60 decrease and mph increase

I do believe the aluminum drive shaft will make a difference but I also believe the steel one would to simple I am guessing the two piece is alot heavier then both so there is the difference as for steel verse aluminum I dont believe there will be a huge difference but there will be one I figure for the price the steel one will be right in the middle and getting rid of that joint should make a weight difference but I have read alot of vibration I am curious if this is true?

Removing the joint should be a safety improvement for sustained high speed too, like on a road course. Looking forward to results. In a few years my wallet will hopefully have recovered enough to retire the e30 and make the Boss my go to for time trials and stuff.

CaliMR said:
Removing the joint should be a safety improvement for sustained high speed too, like on a road course.

From what I understand it is just the opposite, the joint is there for vibration dampening but it also adds a safety loop.

When I installed mine I felt a difference putting more power to the wheels. This is of course seat of the pants dyno and not a real one with figures.

Didn't Ford say that the shaft is the main reason they are capped at 155 (or something like that) mph? But they used it because of NVH. I could be remembering wrong but I know a lot of people say not to use the jointed one for high speeds. Plus with the joint, they can slip out of loops if you have them.

I did a search, and saw what 5 dot 0 posted, maybe I was just remembering that.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/boss-302-general-forum/top-speedrev-limiter/

What does the R and the new GT500 have?

R has this one piece

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=11824

But I'm not an engineer, really I don't know which is better. Just usually more joints = less strong

Boss2511, please post how difficult the install is. I would love to go to a 1 piece DS, but I want to install myself. So if it isn't too difficult and you are happy with the results, that may be my next mod.

TMO Supporting Vendors