The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 Pumpkin GT Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
Now, Fly, if you went into a couple of corners a bit too fast and scared the schist outa yourself that could account for the weight loss, haha!!
Not to mention that since he doesn't have to do window nets, he can also scare the shiznit outta the car too.

... just as long as corner workers don't see it, because if they catch shiznit flying from your car, you're definitely getting a meatball.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
just as long as corner workers don't see it, because if they catch shiznit flying from your car, you're definitely getting a meatball.
Too many meatballs may have been the problem. 🤭

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
Minor update here before the much larger update to come in the next month or so.

Installed Curt hitch receiver
Removed rear seats and trunk carpets
Ordered Watson 4 pt roll bar
Ordered HANS ready helmet
Ordered sim wheel and pedals
Ordered DTC-60 pads front and rear.

Aiming to get the roll bar installed before my next event in October along with the new pads. Other than that, lots of sim practice to be had. I want sub 2:00 at Buttonwillow so so bad!

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
Roll bar done but man was that a mission.

1633460458986.png

This thing did not want to go in easily. I reached out on the Facebook group and it sounded like most everyone else has had the same issues. The main hoop took several attempts to get it to sit just right for the trunk legs to get close enough to the correct spot. Initial attempt, the passenger leg was about an inch off the floor.

1633460570371.png

I was trying my best to steer clear of the brake lines as well but unfortunately, I managed to chew one up when my drill bit caught and pulled my drill down.
To make it worse, replacement brake lines are on national backorder (like everything else). There were only four dealers in the nation who had one in stock. Luckily, a dealer in Arizona had one not already on hold for someone else and agree to ship it to me. Should be here tomorrow.
After that, bleed the whole system and install new pads and the car will be good to go.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
Car is coming home today!
Very excited to drive it with the new roll bar and gutted interior for the first time.
Also had an alignment done. New specs:
1634737617850-png.png
I asked for -3.0 camber front but this is as far as it would allow. Looks like I'll be cutting the strut tower hole next time to get passed -3.0

I noticed the alignment settings from last year had changed when they took the initial "before" settings
1634738123593-png.png1634738134597-png.png
I ignorantly assumed the alignment wouldn't change unless you hit something, don't tighten lug nuts, ect. Seems logical that beating the car on the track and running over kerbs would slowly alter the alignment. I'll be adding this to regular maintenance now.

Also, been getting quite a bit of practice in on Assetto Corsa. Took some time to get used to a SIM and find a comparable car but I've gotten my Buttonwillow times down to 2:03. Just need more practice to chase down that sub 2:00

PaddyPrix

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
Car is coming home today!
Very excited to drive it with the new roll bar and gutted interior for the first time.
Also had an alignment done. New specs:
View attachment 69464
I asked for -3.0 camber front but this is as far as it would allow. Looks like I'll be cutting the strut tower hole next time to get passed -3.0

I noticed the alignment settings from last year had changed when they took the initial "before" settings
View attachment 69465View attachment 69466
I ignorantly assumed the alignment wouldn't change unless you hit something, don't tighten lug nuts, ect. Seems logical that beating the car on the track and running over kerbs would slowly alter the alignment. I'll be adding this to regular maintenance now.

Also, been getting quite a bit of practice in on Assetto Corsa. Took some time to get used to a SIM and find a comparable car but I've gotten my Buttonwillow times down to 2:03. Just need more practice to chase down that sub 2:00

Thanks for the alignment reminder :)
Which car did you go with in AC? My gpu died from all the mining I was doing, and so kinda waiting it out as I'm not willing to pay the silly prices for gaming cards.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
Thanks for the alignment reminder :)
Which car did you go with in AC? My gpu died from all the mining I was doing, and so kinda waiting it out as I'm not willing to pay the silly prices for gaming cards.
I started with the preloaded 2015 GT but I'm fairly certain that's a base model. It's hot garbage. Then I downloaded a GT350R but that was equally trash but in different ways. That thing would corner-exit oversteer EVERY.SINGLE.TURN. It was ridiculous. I tried adjusting it in every way to make it an understeer death machine....still uncontrollable oversteer. I'm sure it was simply a junky download.
Then I found a new Mach 1. It feels pretty darn similar to my actual car. Very similar times as well

You get all your parts for your car yet??

PaddyPrix

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
I started with the preloaded 2015 GT but I'm fairly certain that's a base model. It's hot garbage. Then I downloaded a GT350R but that was equally trash but in different ways. That thing would corner-exit oversteer EVERY.SINGLE.TURN. It was ridiculous. I tried adjusting it in every way to make it an understeer death machine....still uncontrollable oversteer. I'm sure it was simply a junky download.
Then I found a new Mach 1. It feels pretty darn similar to my actual car. Very similar times as well

You get all your parts for your car yet??
Funny how similar but different the 2015-17 are from the 2018+, at least for tracking with the transmission and shift points being all wacky, and how our 18+ aren't really GT350's either. Not sure what to believe, running faster times in simulators meaning that they're either unrealistic, or I'm an idiot who doesn't know to properly set up and modify a car, leaving time on the table from gross ineptitude. I mean, when was the last time a "stock" 2015GT ran a 1:26 at WSIR?

As for me, still working on it, might sneak into the season finale at CW, parts are really hard to come by, so lesson learned, buy two salvage cars, not one. Trying to decide whether to quickly re-assemble to finish out in TT2, or take the time to do all the other planned projects and go TT1, but that'll take more time for things like tuning, additional corner balancing and re-alignment with losing even more weight and whatnot.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
Funny how similar but different the 2015-17 are from the 2018+, at least for tracking with the transmission and shift points being all wacky, and how our 18+ aren't really GT350's either. Not sure what to believe, running faster times in simulators meaning that they're either unrealistic, or I'm an idiot who doesn't know to properly set up and modify a car, leaving time on the table from gross ineptitude. I mean, when was the last time a "stock" 2015GT ran a 1:26 at WSIR?

As for me, still working on it, might sneak into the season finale at CW, parts are really hard to come by, so lesson learned, buy two salvage cars, not one. Trying to decide whether to quickly re-assemble to finish out in TT2, or take the time to do all the other planned projects and go TT1, but that'll take more time for things like tuning, additional corner balancing and re-alignment with losing even more weight and whatnot.
Yeah it's not going to be perfect but I suppose it's good practice for learning the track. I'm glad I found the Mach 1. Other than my car having better brakes and the Mach having 20 more ponies, they're pretty darn similar.

Lol, at this point, perhaps another salvage car would be a faster way to get parts😆
You still considering a Procharger?
Also, you think you'll make the last SGC in Dec?

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
Man.....I should've gotten a racing SIM a long time ago. This thing is great! I've gotten more "seat time" in the last couple weeks than I have the last three years.
Only one way to find out if this practice translates to improved real-life times but so far, I'm really liking it.
I gave the GT350R another try in the game as the Mach 1 brakes were lacking and the car still understeered too much. Started off slow but eventually got the hang of it. Braking power and cornering seem the most similar to my car; hopefully I don't get used to the extra 60 hp though.
Currently got my BW times down to 1:57. If I can do that in December with Super GT Cup, I will be an extremely happy camper. 1st place in Street is the goal!

Last edited:
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
I recently got a new job and I no longer have the same time to read through TMO but here's a quick update:

SuperGT Cup finale went very well. After hours of practice on Assetto Corsa, I was really aiming to get a sub 2:00 lap but unfortunately, that didn't happen. I did however beat my PB by 4 seconds. Much much smoother line, more aggressive on corner exit, overall better driving. Things that didn't go well: I am complete ass at shifting....or the stock MT82 shifter is garbage..... probably a bit of both. I would miss shifts constantly. I pretty much coasted through Riverside on my 2:03 lap so I'm sure a 2:01 is easily in the bag.

Time Attack B - 220pm (Off Ramp) - BW3_1657_Dec1221_320PM_CaliPhoto.jpg

PaddyPrix

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
I recently got a new job and I no longer have the same time to read through TMO but here's a quick update:

SuperGT Cup finale went very well. After hours of practice on Assetto Corsa, I was really aiming to get a sub 2:00 lap but unfortunately, that didn't happen. I did however beat my PB by 4 seconds. Much much smoother line, more aggressive on corner exit, overall better driving. Things that didn't go well: I am complete ass at shifting....or the stock MT82 shifter is garbage..... probably a bit of both. I would miss shifts constantly. I pretty much coasted through Riverside on my 2:03 lap so I'm sure a 2:01 is easily in the bag.

Congrats! Will we see you seeking redemption there Jan 8-9?

Also yes, the shifter sucks, waaay too much slop... and for all 18-mid 19, the transmission sucks.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
If you have a stock clutch it could be done, or the trans itself is toast, or both. When my clutch went for a dump I could not get a 3-4 shift or a 4-3 shift reliably, it was totally hit and miss. New Exedy clutch fixed that for a very short while, but it was obvious there was already major damage inside the trans. On disassembly 3rd gear was totally wrecked, chipped badly. All the syncros were history. With all the noise you can't hear what's going on with it and that doesn't help.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
If you have a stock clutch it could be done, or the trans itself is toast, or both. When my clutch went for a dump I could not get a 3-4 shift or a 4-3 shift reliably, it was totally hit and miss. New Exedy clutch fixed that for a very short while, but it was obvious there was already major damage inside the trans. On disassembly 3rd gear was totally wrecked, chipped badly. All the syncros were history. With all the noise you can't hear what's going on with it and that doesn't help.
Interesting. I'm getting the Steeda shifter bracket soon; we'll see if that helps first for cheap.

@PaddyPrix I definitely want to! Is that with NASA or SGC? I know my wife planned some trips in January, I'll have to confirm my schedule

PaddyPrix

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
@PaddyPrix I definitely want to! Is that with NASA or SGC? I know my wife planned some trips in January, I'll have to confirm my schedule
NASA season opener on Elvis' birthday.

TMO Supporting Vendors