The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 Pumpkin GT Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Thanks Paddy, I knew the " Average HP " view was being questioned and I just went with Max HP with my past car , but interesting to see your analysis. I see the push to figure on MAX HP as the guide as the fact that change is in the air, so I will continue to use that value for my car. Since I realized, when I purchased the Mach 1, that it was not an ideal platform since it would have to run against GT350s, I was hoping I maybe had a tire advantage. At present , it may not matter as I might be too cheap to run Hoosiers anyway, ha.

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
Maybe dumb question but to clarify: "average hp"..........is that the average of the single graph like you described or is your average hp simply the average of the three pulls?
The average is the calculated average horsepower (from the earlier logic) from the data points from that best run. The other two points are more or less to show that you're not cheating, and that your pulls were consistent. We all know there's heatsoak, and numbers will drop a few here and there, and other things like the Dyno operator isn't purposely sandbagging it, since your goal here is to actually make as little hp as possible on the charts so you can race "weaker" opponents.

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
Thanks Paddy, I knew the " Average HP " view was being questioned and I just went with Max HP with my past car , but interesting to see your analysis. I see the push to figure on MAX HP as the guide as the fact that change is in the air, so I will continue to use that value for my car. Since I realized, when I purchased the Mach 1, that it was not an ideal platform since it would have to run against GT350s, I was hoping I maybe had a tire advantage. At present , it may not matter as I might be too cheap to run Hoosiers anyway, ha.
So the new calculation is pretty much like, whatever your 10 or 15 highest values are, an attempt to kill off anybody trying to use some neat outlier trick, which I guess kills that early spike trick. Given our motors, if you look at our graphs, the beauty of the Coyote is that for about 1000-1500 we're completely flat at our HP peak, so there's very little difference between them at this point, so yeah, you're not hurting yourself by claiming max hp. Should you get pulled to random sample, and that day just works out well, even if you're still within class, but test above your stated, DQ... not worth losing it over a slight dyno variance.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Maybe dumb question but to clarify: "average hp"..........is that the average of the single graph like you described or is your average hp simply the average of the three pulls?
The dyno operator should have given you a chart of HP at each 50RPM increment. Use that to complete the equation on the classification form:
49F3CD2D-0756-4563-8764-75FC6E20C86F.jpeg
Good to know and not questioning the guy's credentials, I just could not figure how an R could get to TT3 with A7s, though there will be plenty of them running in TT3 with other tires. He is not in my Region ( so I had not heard of him ) and sounds like the guy is one hot shoe, but 436 rwhp for a 350R seems low.
I find asking questions often helps, as it seems I am constantly missing some small rule change so figured that might be it ? AZVBoss gave me some ideas, years back, that really helped me upgrade my Boss S and still stay in the ST2 Class , so not being disrespectful just wondering how an R could use the A7s?

Trust me, I‘ve scrutinized it closely as my lowly S197 is classed against a couple GT350’s, Fulton being the quicker of the 2. They still got me yesterday, but the gap is getting much closer. This was a pretty good comparison since both Fulton and I were on A7’s with some heat cycles. The rusty nut behind the wheel in the 406 car was the difference yesterday!

498ADADE-ABAB-4F6C-95B2-782A7506F886.jpeg

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Sorry, here’s the sheet that I meant to post in the last message - it’s page 3 of the classification form.
7AE095F9-ECB2-4184-9755-3322E7D62B42.jpeg

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
With some helping advice from @Scootsmcgreggor and @2Morrow , I got a new seat installed over the weekend! Waiting on some additional hardware for the lap belts, but otherwise, it's all buttoned up. Took it for a test drive around the neighborhood and luckily I could still see over the halo portions to check blind spots. Will need to order a lumbar pad though; can already tell that would bother me on longer drives.

I spaced out the seat so I can comfortably and fully depress the clutch pedal but visually, the seat looks to be too far forward. I guess I expected it to sit further back. (I'm a hair under 6ft for reference.)

Sparco Seat 1.jpg

Sparco Seat 2.jpg

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
So cal
With some helping advice from @Scootsmcgreggor and @2Morrow , I got a new seat installed over the weekend! Waiting on some additional hardware for the lap belts, but otherwise, it's all buttoned up. Took it for a test drive around the neighborhood and luckily I could still see over the halo portions to check blind spots. Will need to order a lumbar pad though; can already tell that would bother me on longer drives.

I spaced out the seat so I can comfortably and fully depress the clutch pedal but visually, the seat looks to be too far forward. I guess I expected it to sit further back. (I'm a hair under 6ft for reference.)

View attachment 75190

View attachment 75191
Pci makes sliders for the seat.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
Orange you gonna tell us how you did??
HAHA, I see what you did there, Bill.

These pictures are actually from my event back in March; nothing new here. My friend just so happen to finally have time to edit these and send them over.

@Hye Power to my understanding, sliders aren't FIA certified. For that reason, I decided against them. Plus, I figured once I get the seat positioned to my liking, I wouldn't need to change it.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
Thanks to a confirming picture from @Scootsmcgreggor and trying it out myself, I have discovered I can in fact fit 4 wheels/tires in the car even with the roll bar.
Because of this, I'll be selling my Leroy Engineering tire trailer. Nothing wrong with the trailer at all, but as annoying as stuffing the car to the brim with gear is, I think it's still easier than the trailer for me.
I'll take some nice pictures later and post it officially but if anyone is interested or has a friend with a smaller car that can't fit a full set of tires inside, let me know. (Perfect option for Miata, S2K, Corvette, BRZ, etc.)

1654618076094.png

TMO Supporting Vendors