The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 Pumpkin GT Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
Back at Auto Club Speedway for what might be one of the last times. They have already started tearing the grand stands down. This hasn't been my favorite track but I've grown to appreciate it so it will be sad to see it go.

This was my first time with Speed Ventures and I can say it was quite enjoyable. Not nearly as crowded as NASA events and still well organized. This was their first ever Mustang Driver's Club timed competition; no specific reason why but I was sort of expecting a bunch of car-show Mustang types to show up (the type who care more about their cars being clean than going fast.) I could not have been more wrong - my car was probably the most stock one there. Some seriously fast Mustangs showed up.

I wasn't necessarily expecting to be on podium as the handicap/point system was going through some growing pains and I'm definitely not the fastest driver out there so I was racing myself that day. My previous best time there was a 1:55, then another 1:55 with a passenger, so with my new seat and the lack of a passenger seat (roughly 75 lbs lost) I was aiming for a 1:53 but could only muster up a 1:54. Still beat my record but not quite what I wanted; I'll take it though. Watching the lap video, I found a couple spots I could have done better so I think a 1:53 is possible with my current setup.

Speaking of current setup....I know I praise the Toyo RR tires but I already want to get rid of these. I love them that they are so freaking cheap but man, they really are lacking in pace...or I'm over-driving them. I did notice the only spots I would have trouble with grip was low speed corner exits which could have been for a number of reasons.
1. I'm over-driving the car
2. The larger 350R rear sway bar is making the rear come loose too soon.
3. The Toyo RR's just suck
During the second session of the day, I was kicking the back end out almost every corner-exit trying to push for that 1:53 but noticed it was hurting my times more than anything. I dialed myself back and wham...instantly better and smoother corners. I'll have to watch my lap videos and compare times pre and post calming myself down.

As for my sworn enemy, I think I sort of got heel-toe downshifts down. The new seat position helped but I told myself this was going to be my deciding track day. I was still messing it up first session but after I knocked the cob webs off, I was getting decent downshifts by session two. Still not the most consistent but much better. My conclusion: buy the Xineering. I'm no pro driver and this will give me one less thing to think about. Just plant my foot on the brake pedal and let the electronics do the blip for me.

Last point: I was above 230° CHT and right around the yellow zone for oil temp pretty much all day. The last session of the day, I hit 237° CHT so I let off the gas. The discouraging part was this was a relatively cool day; 82° ambient at the hottest. I know I've needed to address cooling for awhile now but the equipment is expensive and puts a lot of weight right on the nose of the car. I've thought about E85 before but I've been against any sort of engine mod purely for reliability purposes. Well after talking with some folks, I might pull the trigger on E85. I would be doing it purely for the cooling aspect; the added power will be a bonus. If a simple tune and some different fuel get my temps to an acceptable level, that would be amazing! I know Patrick runs E85 and has no oil cooler and his car managed just fine so I have hope. I will likely add an oil cooler down the road for added insurance but this will buy me time.

As for the added power: I might have to rethink my TT3 build. I have two options:
1. 91 octane tune, passenger seat installed, Goodyear 3R tire, potential cooling issues.
2. E85 tune, no passenger seat, +1.0 tire (maybe A052's or Rival S 1.5), potentially NO cooling issues. I like this plan better

Back at Auto Club Speedway for what might be one of the last times. They have already started tearing the grand stands down. This hasn't been my favorite track but I've grown to appreciate it so it will be sad to see it go.

This was my first time with Speed Ventures and I can say it was quite enjoyable. Not nearly as crowded as NASA events and still well organized. This was their first ever Mustang Driver's Club timed competition; no specific reason why but I was sort of expecting a bunch of car-show Mustang types to show up (the type who care more about their cars being clean than going fast.) I could not have been more wrong - my car was probably the most stock one there. Some seriously fast Mustangs showed up.

I wasn't necessarily expecting to be on podium as the handicap/point system was going through some growing pains and I'm definitely not the fastest driver out there so I was racing myself that day. My previous best time there was a 1:55, then another 1:55 with a passenger, so with my new seat and the lack of a passenger seat (roughly 75 lbs lost) I was aiming for a 1:53 but could only muster up a 1:54. Still beat my record but not quite what I wanted; I'll take it though. Watching the lap video, I found a couple spots I could have done better so I think a 1:53 is possible with my current setup.

Speaking of current setup....I know I praise the Toyo RR tires but I already want to get rid of these. I love them that they are so freaking cheap but man, they really are lacking in pace...or I'm over-driving them. I did notice the only spots I would have trouble with grip was low speed corner exits which could have been for a number of reasons.
1. I'm over-driving the car
2. The larger 350R rear sway bar is making the rear come loose too soon.
3. The Toyo RR's just suck
During the second session of the day, I was kicking the back end out almost every corner-exit trying to push for that 1:53 but noticed it was hurting my times more than anything. I dialed myself back and wham...instantly better and smoother corners. I'll have to watch my lap videos and compare times pre and post calming myself down.

As for my sworn enemy, I think I sort of got heel-toe downshifts down. The new seat position helped but I told myself this was going to be my deciding track day. I was still messing it up first session but after I knocked the cob webs off, I was getting decent downshifts by session two. Still not the most consistent but much better. My conclusion: buy the Xineering. I'm no pro driver and this will give me one less thing to think about. Just plant my foot on the brake pedal and let the electronics do the blip for me.

Last point: I was above 230° CHT and right around the yellow zone for oil temp pretty much all day. The last session of the day, I hit 237° CHT so I let off the gas. The discouraging part was this was a relatively cool day; 82° ambient at the hottest. I know I've needed to address cooling for awhile now but the equipment is expensive and puts a lot of weight right on the nose of the car. I've thought about E85 before but I've been against any sort of engine mod purely for reliability purposes. Well after talking with some folks, I might pull the trigger on E85. I would be doing it purely for the cooling aspect; the added power will be a bonus. If a simple tune and some different fuel get my temps to an acceptable level, that would be amazing! I know Patrick runs E85 and has no oil cooler and his car managed just fine so I have hope. I will likely add an oil cooler down the road for added insurance but this will buy me time.

As for the added power: I might have to rethink my TT3 build. I have two options:
1. 91 octane tune, passenger seat installed, Goodyear 3R tire, potential cooling issues.
2. E85 tune, no passenger seat, +1.0 tire (maybe A052's or Rival S 1.5), potentially NO cooling issues. I like this plan better
I think once u start to pick up pace...
You will need cooling. I might get rid of my mishimoto cooler so u can get mine :)
is a relatively easy task to do. And ducting if u didnt is the key. (Together with 95% water and water wetter)
And the weight...well is probably 5-10lbs max.
For the suspension aspect...full stiff front sway bar?
When do you feel the rear loose? Turn exit? Mid turn? Entry?

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
I think once u start to pick up pace...
You will need cooling. I might get rid of my mishimoto cooler so u can get mine :)
is a relatively easy task to do. And ducting if u didnt is the key. (Together with 95% water and water wetter)
And the weight...well is probably 5-10lbs max.
For the suspension aspect...full stiff front sway bar?
When do you feel the rear loose? Turn exit? Mid turn? Entry?
I would appreciate that, Ale! Though, I have heard the Mishi oil cooler does nothing for cooling, I'd be willing to try it. Keep me in mind when you go to sell it. 👍
I'm hoping with E85 and some ducting, my temp issues will be gone, or at least good enough for my use.

I have the front bar on the middle setting. The back end kicks out on corner exit like clock work, unless I really slow down for the entry.

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
I'm hoping with E85 and some ducting, my temp issues will be gone, or at least good enough for my use.

I have the front bar on the middle setting. The back end kicks out on corner exit like clock work, unless I really slow down for the entry.
Did you keep your plastic shrouding in? If you have yet to remove those air shutters or the a/c unit, then you should have that ducting to prevent air loss. E85 is a big help though, I literally run just that and a Mishi and haven't had problems running up to 115f outside.

Which turns, and what's your steering angle like on those turns? RR are just cheap tires with no lateral grip, so perhaps try the turns with less steering and more effort to returning your hands to straight faster and timing the power just right.

I would appreciate that, Ale! Though, I have heard the Mishi oil cooler does nothing for cooling, I'd be willing to try it. Keep me in mind when you go to sell it. 👍

Is probably the tires man. Before doing any changes... Be sure u have better tires☺️
U can also easily go full stiff front.
But again...is a tire/ throttle application issue Imo.
the mishi cooler helps. I mean. Will i use.it for Endurance racing? No.
But for.time trials for sure. Or maybe u buy their radiator which is bigger than what u have.
Is an easy swap and i think same price range

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
I literally run just that and a Mishi and haven't had problems running up to 115f outside.
This is what I want to hear!!!

No shudders on my car. I think that was base model and Ecoboost only.
It was exiting T6 and ....goodness all the turn maps are different for ACS. See below lol. You are right though, I would try to accelerate with too much angle. The RR performed better if I slowed down more, got most all the turning done early, then pointed straight and gassed it. They don't seem to like gas pedal and any steering angle at all at the same time. The SC3's I had previously were much more accepting of throttling out of corners.
1664895764823.png

Is probably the tires man. Before doing any changes... Be sure u have better tires☺️
U can also easily go full stiff front.
But again...is a tire/ throttle application issue Imo.
the mishi cooler helps. I mean. Will i use.it for Endurance racing? No.
But for.time trials for sure. Or maybe u buy their radiator which is bigger than what u have.
Is an easy swap and i think same price range
Yeah I'm wanting to use up this set of RR's as quickly as possible and move on to something else.
I'll try out E85 first and see how my temps like that by itself.
I called Vorshlag awhile ago and asked if radiator or oil cooler should come first or if it matters. They told me oil cooler will help more than radiator but obviously both is the correct answer. For my budget-minded brain, I like the thought of the radiator over piecing together a Setrab cooler though.

It was exiting T6 and ....goodness all the turn maps are different for ACS. See below lol. You are right though, I would try to accelerate with too much angle. The RR performed better if I slowed down more, got most all the turning done early, then pointed straight and gassed it. They don't seem to like gas pedal and any steering angle at all at the same time. The SC3's I had previously were much more accepting of throttling out of corners.
View attachment 79956

Yeah I'm wanting to use up this set of RR's as quickly as possible and move on to something else.
I'll try out E85 first and see how my temps like that by itself.
I called Vorshlag awhile ago and asked if radiator or oil cooler should come first or if it matters. They told me oil cooler will help more than radiator but obviously both is the correct answer. For my budget-minded brain, I like the thought of the radiator over piecing together a Setrab cooler though.
Remember your budget brain that protecting the engine is also a good budget mided brain☺️

PaddyPrix

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego

View attachment 79956
Yeah, those are all spots that you have to be delicate and on edge. Ruining a turn 6 exit screws up that big inside straight, so it's critical to get full on power as soon as you can, which is why a diamond turn sometimes works from the 5-6, you're starting deeper, but you're on the gas and pointed straight and using that runoff to your advantage. Overcooking 13 does you no good, so be careful there, and get on straight to shoot through 14 and set up on the outside by the bathroom for the long left getting out of the playground, and you'll see me clip that right just so I get a little bump and reassurance that I'm all the way over. If the cones are favorable, you want to be full as early as you can, the start of that long, long straightaway. You're doing good to stretch that angle out to have the least violent merge onto the banking, aiming for that white line by the pit/hotpit entry instead of driving at the wall.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
I did.
And i might upgrade in the next 3months.
Keep u posted for your 50%discount lol
1664903748356.png

Yeah, those are all spots that you have to be delicate and on edge. Ruining a turn 6 exit screws up that big inside straight, so it's critical to get full on power as soon as you can, which is why a diamond turn sometimes works from the 5-6, you're starting deeper, but you're on the gas and pointed straight and using that runoff to your advantage. Overcooking 13 does you no good, so be careful there, and get on straight to shoot through 14 and set up on the outside by the bathroom for the long left getting out of the playground, and you'll see me clip that right just so I get a little bump and reassurance that I'm all the way over. If the cones are favorable, you want to be full as early as you can, the start of that long, long straightaway. You're doing good to stretch that angle out to have the least violent merge onto the banking, aiming for that white line by the pit/hotpit entry instead of driving at the wall.
I'll share a video of my 1:54 lap later today. Then you can effectively critique me 😆
But I know what you mean about T5-6. Seems much smoother to turn sharp there and get on power early.

PaddyPrix

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
1:54 Lap

@PaddyPrix @flyhalf

I'm not normally one to post my laps online but I could use the input of others to learn.
My quick thoughts, need to be up on the wall for T1 entry, maybe a car length at most from it, and the line really starts around the 2 / 1 board. Going in low means you have to turn much harder and sacrifice speed to stay on line. To stay on the proper line, at worst, you give a quick momentary lift to half-3/4 throttle and then roll it back to full as you gain comfort, but when you're on the line, you're fully on the gas using the aero, bank, and grip that the line affords. I use the Bienveniedos a Nascar sign in my eyesight as my queue to straighten up my hands, and timed just right, it puts you right at the wall edge, still on the gas and don't have to straighten up.

T5 - Try something like a diamond turn, where instead of the straight brake and then turn for T5, you'd point the car at the apex first, and then straight brake to mid/deep-turn of T5/6... then you can then look and point the car at the T6 apex and T6 trackout, and with straightening hands, roll back onto the gas. In yours, it looks like you entered too narrow, and have to make two steering efforts to the left, and still controlling your car through T6. Comparing you to my 1:44 lap, you're at 62 at the track out cone, I'm at 62 firing through the apex, and if we're equal power, we're going to accel at the same rate and you'll be running out of places to make up that speed.

Good job staying on the gas through 7/8, and the best line through T9 is almost exactly a mirror copy of T5/6, just that you don't get that runoff, but need to get full on the gas out as it exits to a long straightaway. Turn a pinch later into 12, and also a pinch later at the beginning of that long left of the playground (16?), as turning too early puts your trajectory way off, forcing you sacrifice speed to get back on line. That extra cone in 19-20 forcing you guys way wide was a dick move by whomever was doing it that day.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
My quick thoughts, need to be up on the wall for T1 entry, maybe a car length at most from it, and the line really starts around the 2 / 1 board. Going in low means you have to turn much harder and sacrifice speed to stay on line. To stay on the proper line, at worst, you give a quick momentary lift to half-3/4 throttle and then roll it back to full as you gain comfort, but when you're on the line, you're fully on the gas using the aero, bank, and grip that the line affords. I use the Bienveniedos a Nascar sign in my eyesight as my queue to straighten up my hands, and timed just right, it puts you right at the wall edge, still on the gas and don't have to straighten up.

T5 - Try something like a diamond turn, where instead of the straight brake and then turn for T5, you'd point the car at the apex first, and then straight brake to mid/deep-turn of T5/6... then you can then look and point the car at the T6 apex and T6 trackout, and with straightening hands, roll back onto the gas. In yours, it looks like you entered too narrow, and have to make two steering efforts to the left, and still controlling your car through T6. Comparing you to my 1:44 lap, you're at 62 at the track out cone, I'm at 62 firing through the apex, and if we're equal power, we're going to accel at the same rate and you'll be running out of places to make up that speed.

Good job staying on the gas through 7/8, and the best line through T9 is almost exactly a mirror copy of T5/6, just that you don't get that runoff, but need to get full on the gas out as it exits to a long straightaway. Turn a pinch later into 12, and also a pinch later at the beginning of that long left of the playground (16?), as turning too early puts your trajectory way off, forcing you sacrifice speed to get back on line. That extra cone in 19-20 forcing you guys way wide was a dick move by whomever was doing it that day.
Thanks very much for this Patrick!
Hopefully I'll be there in December so I can actually apply this....before it's gone forever, haha.

Yeah everyone that day was complaining about that last cone. It was excessively far out there.

TMO Supporting Vendors