The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Purchase a 12 or 13 (Hard to Decide)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am new to this site but have been reading a lot of the post for some time. I am trying to decide between a 2012 Boss in Red with the white top or a red 2013 that will be delivered on 8 May. The 2012 has been on the dealers lot for 6 months. I guess not many people like the white top but I do. They will sell me the 2012 under sticker (it once had a $10K mark up) and will sell me the 2012 at sticker price. Both come with the Boss accessory package and recaro(r) and helical differential package. I like both but besides personal choice is there a reason to go for the 13 instead of the 12? I will say I am not into racing and will probably never hit the track. I like the style, looks, sound, and just want to own the boss.

Dvendet

Everyone's entitled to my opinion. ;)
knappj69 said:
I am new to this site but have been reading a lot of the post for some time. I am trying to decide between a 2012 Boss in Red with the white top or a red 2013 that will be delivered on 8 May. The 2012 has been on the dealers lot for 6 months. I guess not many people like the white top but I do. They will sell me the 2012 under sticker (it once had a $10K mark up) and will sell me the 2012 at sticker price. Both come with the Boss accessory package and recaro(r) and helical differential package. I like both but besides personal choice is there a reason to go for the 13 instead of the 12? I will say I am not into racing and will probably never hit the track. I like the style, looks, sound, and just want to own the boss.
You might be interested in the 13's more as it has added a number of new bells and whistles. 13's have Ford's SYNC plus HID headlights plus tiger hood plus LED taillights plus same color rockers plus....There is a lot of info out there that talks about the differences. Read up on it then you decide. Both model years are beautiful - its just going to come down to personal preferences and what deal can you get.

BLAZN BOSS

Both are geat cars........I like things about both. You have a tough decision. For me i like the front of the 12 better than the 13.......I like the synch that the 13 has along with the diplay between the gauges. The puddle lights are a neat idea on the 13. Both have the same driveline so it wouldnt matter. I am not crazy about the LED's.........But thats not a driver. So if you like one body style over the other your chioce is set. If you dont care about the body........then the 13 interrior is better. If you are going to track your car the hood vents on the 13 is awesome for keeping the motor cool........Like I said .......you have a tough decision!

MakeMyDay said:
knappj69 said:
You might be interested in the 13's more as it has added a number of new bells and whistles. 13's have Ford's SYNC plus HID headlights plus tiger hood plus LED taillights plus same color rockers plus....There is a lot of info out there that talks about the differences. Read up on it then you decide. Both model years are beautiful - its just going to come down to personal preferences and what deal can you get.

I have been dping a ton of reading and know the differences of the two. Just wanted to hear from current owners as they have been driving them for sometime and may know the ins and outs that you cannot read about. The 13 front looks like a cobra and the painted panels to me would have alot of knicks as the driving here in DC is bad when it comes to rocks and junk on the roads. I do like that the dealer is willing to go $2,500 under sticker for the 12. I can have the 2012 in my garage tomorrow or the 2013 on 8 May.

I don't know if you have factored in the MSRP (your "sticker price") of about $ 2000 more of the base price of the 2013 over the 2012. Also the RED color seems to be the color that has been 'left over' at various dealer inventories
- maybe the least popular? I'm not sure.

For me it would be easy, if don't mind the white stripes (I do) $2,500 under MSRP for the 2012 and the fact the 2013 are $2,000 MORE means I'd get the 2012.

Number23 said:
For me it would be easy, if don't mind the white stripes (I do) $2,500 under MSRP for the 2012 and the fact the 2013 are $2,000 MORE means I'd get the 2012.

The $2k under sticker has me leaning towards the 12. I actually like the white. I commute back and forth to DC and I have not once seen a boss. Not even on the weekends. Alot of GTs, v6 convertibles, and the occasional cobra, but never a boss.

Dvendet

knappj69 said:
Number23 said:

The $2k under sticker has me leaning towards the 12. I actually like the white. I commute back and forth to DC and I have not once seen a boss. Not even on the weekends. Alot of GTs, v6 convertibles, and the occasional cobra, but never a boss.
Hmmm... I wonder if the fact that Ford only makes 4000 per year has anything to do with the lack of Boss sightings in DC?

MMD

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
If used as a DD, having Sync might be a real plus for pairing a phone if you tend to get a lot of calls on the road. Of course styling is one of the biggest subjective decisions to make, like the old one better or new one better? I am all for the Sync and much prefer the new HIDs over the standard lamps in the '12. Whenever I drive my wife's GT at night, I always use both sets of lamps to light up the road.

I'm also concerned about the body colored rocker panels, and as such will most likely get them 3m film protection along with the front bumper, rear tail panel, and tail lamps. That's also another big styling change, the rear LED lamps. Do you like the older style, or the new one?

Adding up all the car features pro/con and then weighing your extra cost for the '13 should make up your mind. Good luck with your choice.

MakeMyDay said:
knappj69 said:
Number23 said:

Hmmm... I wonder if the fact that Ford only makes 4000 per year has anything to do with the lack of Boss sightings in DC?

MMD

I thought I would at least see one.

drano38

Wayne
You like the white top (actually, red/white is a fairly rare color - see table https://trackmustangsonline.com/2012-and-2012-boss-302-and-boss-302-laguna-seca-registry/boss-302-build-numbers-rapid-spec-501a/15/)

Sync is nice for a daily driver.

So prioritize red/white color, sync, other '12 vs '13 differences, and you'll have your answer.

For me, I like the '12 looks much better than the '13. But I admit, a '13 red/black in the stable beside my '12 wouldn't hurt my feelings any! ;D

ace72ace said:
If used as a DD, having Sync might be a real plus for pairing a phone if you tend to get a lot of calls on the road. Of course styling is one of the biggest subjective decisions to make, like the old one better or new one better? I am all for the Sync and much prefer the new HIDs over the standard lamps in the '12. Whenever I drive my wife's GT at night, I always use both sets of lamps to light up the road.

I'm also concerned about the body colored rocker panels, and as such will most likely get them 3m film protection along with the front bumper, rear tail panel, and tail lamps. That's also another big styling change, the rear LED lamps. Do you like the older style, or the new one?

Adding up all the car features pro/con and then weighing your extra cost for the '13 should make up your mind. Good luck with your choice.

No too concerned about Sync as I may use the phone one or twice a week from the car. I do like the rear LED lamps. I guess I just need to justify to myself if the 13 is worth the extra few grand.

Sesshomurai

Go '13. More options/colors. Updated looks. Better options (sync, HID, track apps display). Looks better (subjective though).

That's like saying (back in the day) should I get a 69 Boss or 70? They are both great cars and it's personal choice. I bought a 12 LS because I am a Boss addict and my personal choice is the 12 style with the 69 stripes. I just sold my 70 for that reason that I want another 69 so I'm going to get one. If you want a cut and dry answer, ask "which should I buy a Boss Mustang or a Camaro?" I think you will get a clear choice on that. Either way you will love the car when you drive it. It is unbelievable.

If I had been presented with this option I would have taken the 2012. I am getting my 2013 at sticker price but still there's thousands of difference. The 2013 has a higher sticker price than the 2012 AND you get 2500 off sticker on the 2012 which is thousands of dollars cheaper.

For all that money you can buy a LOT of cool stuff to dress up your 2012 and make it look even nicer than it already does (rear window louvers, a nicer pedestal wing, a cool fuel door, etc. etc.

Yeah for me the choice would be easy.

Personally, I think the 12 looks way better than the 13. I finally saw a new 13 on the road, and I think the rear end looks even worse now.

The red/white combo is really nice, but I'm biased.

8)

Cjmclean31 said:
Personally, I think the 12 looks way better than the 13. I finally saw a new 13 on the road, and I think the rear end looks even worse now.

The red/white combo is really nice, but I'm biased.

8)

For me there are pros and cons to both designs. I personally like the striping better on the 2013 than on the 2012 and I'm a fan of the Shelby-style front and the vented hood. But I do know that the red with white looks killer on a 2012. And with the price difference he can easily get an even more bad ass looking vented hood for his 2012 as well. Hell, he could even add a set of Boss 302S BBS wheels as well.

So yep, 2012 dude!

Dvendet

BossLS said:
That's like saying (back in the day) should I get a 69 Boss or 70? They are both great cars and it's personal choice. I bought a 12 LS because I am a Boss addict and my personal choice is the 12 style with the 69 stripes. I just sold my 70 for that reason that I want another 69 so I'm going to get one. If you want a cut and dry answer, ask "which should I buy a Boss Mustang or a Camaro?" I think you will get a clear choice on that. Either way you will love the car when you drive it. It is unbelievable.
Your last sentence, you know this and I know this but please - let's keep this our secret. This car is in a class all by itself - light years ahead of anything else. Let keep our Boss ownership an exclusive little club - you wouldn't want Camaro and BMW owners to start buying up our vehicles now would you?

MMD

TMO Supporting Vendors