The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Pushy-Loose a tale of a poorly setup car (and how to fix it?)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I was referring to a strut like in McPherson strut not inferring strut rods. Like in 16 - 17 degrees SAI vs 7 to 7-1/2 degrees SAI on SLAs. Just clearing that verbiage I'm using.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
I was referring to a strut like in McPherson strut not inferring strut rods. Like in 16 - 17 degrees SAI vs 7 to 7-1/2 degrees SAI on SLAs. Just clearing that verbiage I'm using.
So was I.....I've done mcPhearson strut cars, strut rod cars, A-Arm/Strut cars, SLA's, leaf spring cars....you name it. They all have their issues and workarounds.

Big Black

Good, fast<del>, and cheap</del>

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
easy guys, had to sleep after a long exhausting racing weekend.

So what I've found is that the front K member LCA mount locations have opened up, allowing the control arm to have significant slop. As the car would turn in, the toe and camber would dynamically change (its a feature, not a bug? /s) and the car would move over itself. The bummer is that this has beaten up the balljoints and bushings in the LCA.

Long term fix is to replace the K member (take the points hit since my car is overweight anyways and has room), and get spherical based LCA modules (there's some stuff in development)

Short term fix is to dump the steeda LCA bushings, install prothane ones, swap to spare howe balljoints, and weld up the K member with washers and beef up the area that fastener rides on.

TMO Supporting Vendors