The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Put mine on the dyno

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
Still not finalized on the tuning, but laid down what I feel are pretty strong numbers given I had put the exhaust basically back to stock.

dynosheet.png
STD curve because I'm lame like that.

The blue is my MMR 5.0 Coyote/Roadrunner thing, stock catback, closed boss sidepipes, stock TB, JLT cai and AED tuning. Healthy torque, the red line is my old factory 5.0 with a Boss intake, JLT cold air intake, magnaflow exhaust and a BBR Tune.

Wasn't out there to be doing glory runs, was working on troubleshooting some stuff, but always nice to have numbers to share.

Now I wish I had gotten longtubes and gone all out on the exhaust, but if I ever feel like I need more power (lol the car needs a lot more grip) I know where I can easily find it.

Also, as a fyi, a coyote bends time and space when it goes over 8k rpm. Crazy watching the needle stop on the tach (GT car) and the engine still climb.

ArizonaGT has some video

That's impressive, so you took it up to 8,300? Now what you really need is the CJ intake and a larger throttle body. ;) I know AED is dying to tune one. ;D Also time for a Boss instrument cluster...

NFSBOSS said:
That's impressive, so you took it up to 8,300? Now what you really need is the CJ intake and a larger throttle body. ;) I know AED is dying to tune one. ;D Also time for a Boss instrument cluster...
I will be getting both installed plus long tubes, injectors, harmonic balencer, and CAI this month. We have been waiting for the intake and balencer for a month now and they should be here next week. I can't wait for the dyno results....will post.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
jdasch1 said:
I will be getting both installed plus long tubes, injectors, harmonic balencer, and CAI this month. We have been waiting for the intake and balencer for a month now and they should be here next week. I can't wait for the dyno results....will post.

Very interested to see those graphs!

NFSBOSS said:
Cool. You might be the first to install one from retail. Who's doing your tune?
Advanced Auto fabrication in Spokane WA is doing the install and tune/dyno. Ford Racing at the PRI show had no recommendations on what tune to use or any advise on tuning this mod. They had an Aluminator motor on display with these modifications but no tune direction. I'm sure everything will work out ok...I'm on 100 octane, so the tune should go well.

jdasch1 said:
Advanced Auto fabrication in Spokane WA is doing the install and tune/dyno. Ford Racing at the PRI show had no recommendations on what tune to use or any advise on tuning this mod. They had an Aluminator motor on display with these modifications but no tune direction. I'm sure everything will work out ok...I'm on 100 octane, so the tune should go well.
It goes unsaid that we're all anxious to hear about it when it's done. Good luck with the install. Did you settle on a rev limit?

cloud9 said:
It goes unsaid that we're all anxious to hear about it when it's done. Good luck with the install. Did you settle on a rev limit?
I don't see myself needing to go beyond 8000 rpm. HP and torque fall off way earlier than that and keeping the engine all together in one piece is more important. I set my shift lights to hot alert at 7700 rpm now.

jdasch1 said:
I don't see myself needing to go beyond 8000 rpm. HP and torque fall off way earlier than that and keeping the engine all together in one piece is more important. I set my shift lights to hot alert at 7700 rpm now.
I think that's about perfect and you'll need to go 7,700 to take advantage of the new intake. If I ever tune mine I'll do the same. No need to go to 8,000 rpm's on every trip through the gears but every once in a while would be fun.

Tulsa, OK
That's a healthy looking dyno graph captdistraction!! :)

I recently put my car on the dyno as well and saw somewhat similar results. Even with the boss intake, I stopped making additional power around 6500 then dipped down slightly and flatlined until 7500. My rev limit is set at 8000 (AED tune) but I see no reason to rev that high on a consistent basis. While I'm not necessarily making additional power revving that high, it is nice to have the extra revs available on the road course if it allows me to stay in a gear rather than upshifting then downshifting again. I made 423/383 with my current setup. On the same dyno (dynapack) I made 374/369 with catback, CAI, and Bama tune. Our numbers aren't really comparable but thought I would share my similar experience. Numbers are just numbers but it's nice to check things out on the dyno.

TMO Supporting Vendors