The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Put Restrictor Plates Back on Per Dealer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VWGTI123

2012 PW #2558
My Dealer is the one who actually removed my plates, Service Record states as such.

I would Question the Service/General Manager as to why this employee would say such a thing.

98RedGT

2012 #552
Speaking of owner manuals, does anybody have a soft copy for 2012 Boss? Ford web site says it's currently unavailable.

knappj69 said:
I took the Boss in for its first oil change at the local dealer. When I went to pick up the car the tech drove it to the front and when he got out asked why the car was louder than usual. I explained I took the restrictor plates off a month ago. He said that was very bad for the car and was surprised there were no red lights on the dash showing a warning. I told him I have had no issues except a nice loud noise when I accelerate and a lot of grumbling when I take my foot off the gas.

Is there an issue I am not aware of?
If I remember correctly, when I called the Ford Racing Tech Line to ask some questions when I first picked up my Boss concerning TracKey, etc. The response to removing the discs? Absolutely!

Opinions regarding changing dealership? Do it! (unless you are in area where that's not possible) then go in and speak to the Service Manager.

4dRacer said:
Speaking of owner manuals, does anybody have a soft copy for 2012 Boss? Ford web site says it's currently unavailable.

I have a pdf file I can email you. PM me with your email.

Before I signed the papers for LS today, had car up on lift and had discs removed while it was on lift. Drove car about 4 miles and finished paperwork. At first I thought the disc was the larger piece with metal gaskets on either side, but it was obvious. If you haven't taken them out the standard disc hole is about the size of a drinking straw.

aircare84 said:
I just checked the 2013 Ford Mustang Owners Manual (2nd Printing) on page 292 is now says "8.0 quarts (7.6L) (5.0L engine)" filling with Motorcraft SAE 5W-20
Full Synthetic Motor Oil (US). This is for all 2013 Mustang GT's........ Shocked

Did you get a 2013 Boss 302 Supplement Manual? Got it with my 2012. Page 31of the 2012 supplement lists the oil specs.

The 8 quart spec is interesting, because my dealer underfilled my Boss by putting 7.5 quarts in instead of the 8.5 specified in the Boss Supplement.

Googling around, I believe the Coyote 5.0 in the pickups take 7.5, the GT takes 8.0, the Boss takes 8.5, the 2012 Shelby takes only 6.5, and the 2013 Shelby takes either 8.5 or 9.5 depending on whether you have the Track Pack or not. No wonder they can't keep it straight.

Bottom line, we need to tell the tech exactly how much oil goes in the Boss, or we may be dissapointed!

2 weeks ago I did my first oil change at 1700 miles. I took it to my local independent that I trust. Good guys who let me wander around the shop as long as I stay out of the way. It was full when it went in and the tech let it drain for at least an hour. Only took 8 quarts and was just below the max capacity mark on the dipstick. At 3200 now and still at the same mark.

coboss said:
aircare84 said:
I just checked the 2013 Ford Mustang Owners Manual (2nd Printing) on page 292 is now says "8.0 quarts (7.6L) (5.0L engine)" filling with Motorcraft SAE 5W-20
Full Synthetic Motor Oil (US). This is for all 2013 Mustang GT's........ Shocked

Did you get a 2013 Boss 302 Supplement Manual? Got it with my 2012. Page 31of the 2012 supplement lists the oil specs.

The 8 quart spec is interesting, because my dealer underfilled my Boss by putting 7.5 quarts in instead of the 8.5 specified in the Boss Supplement.

Googling around, I believe the Coyote 5.0 in the pickups take 7.5, the GT takes 8.0, the Boss takes 8.5, the 2012 Shelby takes only 6.5, and the 2013 Shelby takes either 8.5 or 9.5 depending on whether you have the Track Pack or not. No wonder they can't keep it straight.

Bottom line, we need to tell the tech exactly how much oil goes in the Boss, or we may be dissapointed!

My solution on my track car was to put stickers with labels on them all over under the hood - No Wiper Fluid on the cap, No Brake Fluid on the cap, 1/2 Quart Extra on the oil cap. My local mom and pop quick lube place is good, but never hurts to have reminders.

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
knappj69 said:
I took the Boss in for its first oil change at the local dealer. When I went to pick up the car the tech drove it to the front and when he got out asked why the car was louder than usual. I explained I took the restrictor plates off a month ago. He said that was very bad for the car and was surprised there were no red lights on the dash showing a warning. I told him I have had no issues except a nice loud noise when I accelerate and a lot of grumbling when I take my foot off the gas.

Is there an issue I am not aware of?

This kind of crap from dealers has to drive Ford, the manufacturer, crazy. They spent all this time engineering a wonderful automobile called the Boss, and kuncklehead advice like "put the plates back in" comes from their own dealer network.

The Boss is the first domestic car I have purchased in 30 years. If i cannot feel comfortable with my dealer service, that is a shame.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel