The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Put Restrictor Plates Back on Per Dealer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I took the Boss in for its first oil change at the local dealer. When I went to pick up the car the tech drove it to the front and when he got out asked why the car was louder than usual. I explained I took the restrictor plates off a month ago. He said that was very bad for the car and was surprised there were no red lights on the dash showing a warning. I told him I have had no issues except a nice loud noise when I accelerate and a lot of grumbling when I take my foot off the gas.

Is there an issue I am not aware of?

My dealer was the one who replaced my restrictor plates with 1/2" versions. As noted, time to find another dealer.

As stated above, there is no issue you are missing. You won't have any problems with the plates out.
Do check that they put the correct weight & quantity of oil in your Boss. More than a few have had the dealer try to put in 5W20 instead of the required 5W50.

Thanks everyone. Appreciate the responses.

A friend of mine bought a brand new special edition Camaro and brought it by today. He let me drive it and even though it is a sharp looking car it felt very heavy while driving. I let him drive the Boss and he was smiling the entire time. He loved how loud it was and how light it felt. He did not want to stop driving it. He said he should have looked into the Boss before he bought the Camaro.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
Surprised your dealer didn't tell you your headlight fluid was low too. ::)

You know what else is bad? A mechanic that probably knows as much or less than the Sales people at dealership about this car, telling the customer (who 99% of the time know more about his car than anyone else), that somehow taking about a thin stainless steel disc is going to hurt the car...

I understand your pain though... I haven't yet reached a point to get my BOSS serviced yet (322 miles), but when I do I will either have my Mustang Performance Shop do it, or I will have a Dealer I trust do it, and I want to be standing besides the Mechanic while he works on the car... Especially if any fluids are being put into the car.

I have a 2006 Mustang as well, and No Ford Dealer in a 60 mile radius (roughly 10 dealerships) will service it... It has a Cervini's Body kit on it with the Side Exhaust, and they don't want to take the extra 5 minutes to jack up the back of the car and then put it on the lift (so it doesn't crush the Side moldings). I even had one Ford Dealer say "Don't even bother bringing that car back here, we won't touch it"...

So I get it serviced at a Nissan Dealership by a Ford Trained Technician that used to work for Roush Racing and it fits on a GTR lift with no (Extra jacking up needed).

Yep, stuff like this is why I had to interview four different dealerships before deciding on a "home dealership" for my Boss. I am lucky in that Jake Lamotta / Lamotta Performance is only 10 miles away for any serious mod work and I have a trusted independant for basic maintenance. I like my dealer but they will only see me for potential warranty work or very basic mods. I wish I could do it all myself like I used to do, but I've got a bad back and crawling underneath the car just isn't smart anymore.

You know, I don’t necessarily blame the mechanics, the services “techs” and lot boys can bring the car back and folks assume it’s a mechanic..............but it doesn’t matter this guy is, well let’s see I’m looking for one word that would describe him...............

Ah yes, I'm reminded of a quaint uniquely North American colloquialism and what word is that you ask yourself dear reader?

TOOL.........

:D

dgc76

Life is good
Silly guys, don't you know that taking the discs out will cause the muffler bearings to go bad due to insufficent back pressure required to keep the grease forced into the bearings?

In my area, all the American dealers are horrible with service. The local Ford dealer is worse than the others. Poor service, rarely get it fixed the first time, high prices and they treat/talk to the customers as though they are idiots. Thought my wife was going to beat the crap out of the service writer recently. The local Toyota dealer is great (never used them, but friends and family love them). I truly believe that the greatest weakness that the American car companies have is their dealerships and service. No way I would let one of them change my oil, particularily if it takes other than 5W-20.

Check your dipstick IMMEDIATELY.

The Boss takes 8.5 quarts of 5w50 while other Coyote 5.0 engines take 7.5 quarts of 0w20 (unless it is a 2013 Mustang GT with Track Pack, then it takes 7.5Q of 5w50). If your dealer tech told you something like that about the restrictors, then I wouldn't trust them to put the correct amount or weight of oil in, either.

coboss said:
Check your dipstick IMMEDIATELY.

The Boss takes 8.5 quarts of 5w50 while other Coyote 5.0 engines take 7.5 quarts of 0w20 (unless it is a 2013 Mustang GT with Track Pack, then it takes 7.5Q of 5w50). If your dealer tech told you something like that about the restrictors, then I wouldn't trust them to put the correct amount or weight of oil in, either.

I just checked the 2013 Ford Mustang Owners Manual (2nd Printing) on page 292 is now says "8.0 quarts (7.6L) (5.0L engine)" filling with Motorcraft SAE 5W-20
Full Synthetic Motor Oil (US). This is for all 2013 Mustang GT's........ :eek:

Please note the little "shocked" smiley I'm not posting to be a "Johnson"

Link to "2013 Ford Mustang Owner's Manuals" http://owner.ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/OwnerGuidePage&year=2013&make=Ford&model=Mustang

Linink to Manual itself http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pubs/content/~WODMUS/~MUS~LEN/42/13musom2e.pdf

I just checked the 2013 Ford Mustang Owners Manual (2nd Printing) on page 292 is now says "8.0 quarts (7.6L) (5.0L engine)" filling with Motorcraft SAE 5W-20
Full Synthetic Motor Oil (US). This is for all 2013 Mustang GT's........ Shocked

Did you get a 2013 Boss 302 Supplement Manual? Got it with my 2012. Page 31of the 2012 supplement lists the oil specs.

TMO Supporting Vendors